Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2013, 16:47   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Ace or Maruti Omni Cargo : Which one for food distribution company?

Dear Arvind,

First of all a very hearty congratulations and all the best for your new venture.
Just like everyone else I suggest you to go in for the Tata Ace. Running costs will definitely be lower than the petrol Omni, also re-sale value will be better after few years of usage as compared to Omni.

If your route is straight (by straight I mean all the stops are on the same route) then just go for the Ace but if you have different routes (For eg. 5 stops in the east and 5 in west) then you may consider buying 2 used Omni (each for for different routes). You will save a lot of time.

You can find pre-owned personal Omni(s) at a very low price and get its seats removed for cargo. Maintaining a used Maruti is hassle free.

But then your cost of having 2nd driver will increase.

Regards
Shantanu Sharma
Old 5th May 2013, 21:51   #17
BHPian

Since it's your first venture i suggest you to
1) Get a used Omni,
2) Service it (All fluids change + General checkup)
2) LPG-fy it,
3) Put 6.50 - 14 LT tyres if due for tyre change,
and you are good to go. Omni should fetch reasonable resale value eventually when you need to upgrade to Super ACE/AL DOST OE covered body or anything available at that point of time.

Since auto industry is not set to grow much this year, you might get good offers later this year.
Old 13th May 2013, 02:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Since it's your first venture i suggest you to
1) Get a used Omni,
2) Service it (All fluids change + General checkup)
2) LPG-fy it,
3) Put 6.50 - 14 LT tyres if due for tyre change,
and you are good to go. Omni should fetch reasonable resale value eventually when you need to upgrade to Super ACE/AL DOST OE covered body or anything available at that point of time.

Since auto industry is not set to grow much this year, you might get good offers later this year.
Thanks a lot guys !! I am extremely grateful each and everyone of you for your valuable pieces of advice and I am glad to inform you all that I have picked up a 9 month old Omni Cargo yesterday which has clocked 15k kms for 1.2lakhs lesser than the current OTR including the LPG kit. The previous owner bought it brand new in August 2012 for his catering business but unfortunately he had to shut down the business within 8 months and decided to dispose the car off. Hope I have made a good deal. Attached are a few pics of the car.

Initially thought of booking an ace going by the majority here. But the dealers are asking to wait for at least 30 days which I am quite sure they will overshoot. Also, the staff behavior at Prerana Motors Bangalore was a big let down.

Then checked with the Maruti dealer for a new Omni Cargo and they were also suggesting a waiting period of a month.

In the meantime, I was on the lookout for a used omni or ace and found this one on olx.com. When I saw the car for the first time I was very pleased with the way the previous owner had maintained the car. It looked neat with no dents whatsoever barring one near the left rear wheel arch (in the pic), tyres look as good as new and drove with no rattles for a cargo van which had clocked 15k on the odo within 9 months. Closed the deal yesterday itself

Will update with more details and review as I tart using the car on a regular basis
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Ace or Maruti Omni Cargo : Which one for food distribution company?-img20130502wa0004.jpg  

Tata Ace or Maruti Omni Cargo : Which one for food distribution company?-img20130502wa0005.jpg  

Tata Ace or Maruti Omni Cargo : Which one for food distribution company?-img20130502wa0006.jpg  

aravind511 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 11:51   #19
BHPian

Good Buy. I guess the rates are at par with market trend (atleast in Kerala)

I hope your Gas Kit is the new type which starts the engine by Petrol & switches to LPG later.
Old 14th May 2013, 12:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Good Buy. I guess the rates are at par with market trend (atleast in Kerala)

I hope your Gas Kit is the new type which starts the engine by Petrol & switches to LPG later.
Yes. It can be put into 3 modes.
1. Start on lpg, run on lpg
2. Start on petrol, run on petrol
3. Start on petrol, run on petrol

My only worry is that i have not recieved any documents regarding the lpg kit nor do i see any kind of plates on the body. Does this mean that the kit is illegal? If yes, what can i do to make it legalised?
Old 14th May 2013, 12:45   #21
BHPian

Nice Deal. The car looks brand new like a showroom delivered car especially from the front.

Congratulations and all the best.

Regards
Shantanu Sharma
Shantanu1970 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
My only worry is that i have not received any documents regarding the lpg kit nor do i see any kind of plates on the body. Does this mean that the kit is illegal? If yes, what can i do to make it legalised?
IMO RC book should be updated(endorsed) for LPG kit if it is after market fitment.
Insurance company should be informed about the LPG. Your premium will increase but it will help in getting claim in case something bad happens
If the kit came along with the car ie manufactured (Maruti in your case) fitted then no issues. RC book and insurance aspect would have been taken care during registration
Best of luck for your business

Last edited by aka_iitd : 14th May 2013 at 14:48.
aka_iitd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi Aravind,

My friend who is a book wholeseller uses Omni cargo due to the below reasons.

1) Initial cost of ownership is less
2) Very easy to maintain even in any remote localities
3) Better drivability
4) Reasonably good resale value
Old 14th May 2013, 16:08   #24
BHPian

If its OE kit, then it will be mentioned in the RC & Insurance policy. If it's not mentioned anywhere then its illegal.

You will need at least an invoice from the kit installer to get an endorsement on the RC.
Old 14th May 2013, 20:17   #25
BANNED

Quote:

Yes. It can be put into 3 modes.
1. Start on lpg, run on lpg
2. Start on petrol, run on petrol
3. Start on petrol, run on petrol

My only worry is that i have not recieved any documents regarding the lpg kit nor do i see any kind of plates on the body. Does this mean that the kit is illegal? If yes, what can i do to make it legalised?
Buddy,

Point 2 and Point 3 are the same right!? You mean one is Start on Petrol and run on LPG.

If you have not got any documents get in contact with the dealer and if necessary the RTO guy for an authentication with a plate on the vehicle. If no documents are available then the insurance guys may object.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 11th August 2013, 12:08   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Buddy,

Point 2 and Point 3 are the same right!? You mean one is Start on Petrol and run on LPG.

If you have not got any documents get in contact with the dealer and if necessary the RTO guy for an authentication with a plate on the vehicle. If no documents are available then the insurance guys may object.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Sorry. The second option is to start on petrol and run on lpg.The car is with me for almost 3 months and has done about 4000 kms now and i have faced no problems with the vehicle as such.
Old 11th August 2013, 19:16   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry. The second option is to start on petrol and run on lpg.The car is with me for almost 3 months and has done about 4000 kms now and i have faced no problems with the vehicle as such.
Can you tell what is the FE you are getting on LPG, petrol?
Also, can you post pics of the gas kit orientation?
I mean to check if there is a way to use all 3 cargo doors on the vehicle
Old 15th August 2013, 15:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post

Can you tell what is the FE you are getting on LPG, petrol?
Also, can you post pics of the gas kit orientation?
I mean to check if there is a way to use all 3 cargo doors on the vehicle
On LPG, i am getting around 12kmpl and in petrol around 14kmpl.

After fitting the LPG kit it is not very comfortable to use the rear door. I use only the side door for loading and unloading. I will post the pics soon.
aravind511 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 15:52   #29

Great Decision Arvind, Wishing you all the best.

Meanwhile one of my friend has started an Agri related distribution company, Need to discuss few points and vehicle and also on distribution, How to contact you?
Old 5th February 2016, 18:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear T-bhpians,

I have started a distribution company for packaged food products and need advise in buying a covered commercial carrier. Daily routes are approximately 80-140kms and will have mostly 30-40 stops to be covered within 10 hours.

These are the vehicles I considered

1.Tata Ace Zip :

2.Tata Ace HT

3.Maruthi Omni Cargo

Aravind
How come you have missed out the Dost from Ashok Leyland? It is also a worthy competition to the others you have mentioned and also a poweful compared to the Tata vehicles.
unk9ja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks