Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-completing_the_range_01.jpg

Volvo Trucks have renewed their entire European truck range in eight months

Since September 2012, Volvo Trucks has launched five new truck models. It all began last year with the spectacular launch of the new Volvo FH, followed this year by the introduction of the new Volvo FM, Volvo FMX, Volvo FE and Volvo FL. All the new models include innovations and features that make the driver’s job easier and more efficient.

1. The New Volvo FH16 - 750

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-615701_477580685605834_2024523024_o.jpg

2. The New Volvo FH - Globetrotter

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-t2012_1442.jpg

3. The New Volvo FM 400

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-new_fm.jpg

4. The New Volvo FMX

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-new_fmx.jpg

5. The New Volvo FE

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-15_fe_location.jpg

6. The New Volvo FL

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-fl.jpg

Some of the new key Features common across all trucks:
  • Improved working environment for drivers: All the new Volvo trucks offer a wide range of benefits for the drivers. All cab environments have been renewed or upgraded with the focus on creating an effective, ergonomic, comfortable and safe workplace.
FH Interior

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-fh_interior.jpg

FMX Interior

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-fmx_interior.jpg
  • Reducing transportation costs: Volvo Trucks has also introduced new innovative technologies and new services designed to reduce the customer’s transport costs. For example, the possibility of using telematics to monitor a number of components means that the Volvo FH, Volvo FM, Volvo FE and Volvo FL are now available with improved Gold Service Contracts for maximum uptime.
  • New Fuel saving system (I-see): which can be compared to an autopilot that takes care of gear selection, acceleration and engine braking on hills in the most fuel-efficient way possible. The first time a truck equipped with the latest version of I-See drives on a hilly stretch of road, information about the local topography is transmitted wirelessly to the Volvo Trucks server. When another truck with I-See drives on the same road, the system automatically receives topography information from the server and makes sure gear-changes, acceleration and braking take place fuel-efficiently the very first time it traverses this road. The fuel saving for the long-haul assignment may be as much as five percent.
Personally, the feature that i felt Volvo had added to make these trucks trendy with the latest changes in Automotive world was their LED integrated headlamps . I would definitely love to have one these trucks in my backyard.

Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range-new_led.jpg

Overall, I think Volvo has done an incredible job in revamping their entire fleet of trucks in a space of 8 months with some innovative features. I would love to see some of the changes into the bus domain as well. Although, truck owners in India are not so keen towards such premium trucks. The Bus owners will definitely welcome some innovative models in India.
Manzone799 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 21:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Volvo Trucks - Revamping the Entire Range

When Merc has refreshed the Actros range, will the Swedes be left behind!
Loved the headlamps with the sharp angles and LED.
Also, as Volvo is a pioneer in safety, notice how all the headlamps are housed in the bumper, sitting lower so as not to cause blinding of light from incoming trucks.
Eicher can also incorporate some of the cosmetic changes!
So do we get these beauties instead of the newly launched FM series of dump trucks?
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 17:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
So do we get these beauties instead of the newly launched FM series of dump trucks?
In time, my friend! The newly launched FM 10X4s are built keeping the mining segment requirements in mind, so they'll change when the requirements change; but yes, we'll get the revamped new beauties here pretty soon too.
Old 16th September 2013, 06:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Here is one amazing demonstration video of FMX's dynamic steering;
Old 16th September 2013, 20:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Here is one amazing demonstration video of FMX's dynamic steering;
http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=7N87uxyDQT0

This one is equally good.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 20:52   #6
BHPian

The Hamster truck somehow gives me an eerie feeling. What kind of steering response will the truck have?

With that light an effort that's easy to be steered by a hamster, I wonder what will happen if the driver sneezes while pulling that truck out of a quarry?
Old 12th October 2013, 09:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yet another one from the FL truck. More than the video, I admire the deftness of the machine and skill of the driver;

sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 20:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

Volvo has gone certifiably insane with their recent videos. Another one with Van Damme demonstrating the dynamic steering.

Source: Jalopnik
Old 10th June 2016, 10:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

The brute force of the FH750 at display here in this awesome video. A Volvo artic pulling an insane 750 tonnes from standstill. Scania's not far off with the R730 and even better low end torque. Just saying!

The video:

Press Release from Volvo:

In “Volvo Trucks vs 750 Tonnes”, a Volvo FH16 featuring I-Shift transmission with crawler gears faces an extreme heavy haulage challenge. With the world’s strongest man, Magnus Samuelsson, and trucking journalist Brian Weatherley in the driver’s cab, a Volvo FH16 pulls 750 tonnes.

In the Port of Gothenburg, Sweden, 40 containers filled with Volvo spare parts sit on 20 trailers and form a 300-metre long road train. Together with the truck it weighs 750 tonnes. The mission: to drive a Volvo FH16 from standstill while hauling 750 tonnes and cover a distance of 100 metres.

"I-Shift with crawler gears offers starting traction that is unlike anything else on the market for series-produced trucks. The new crawler ratios make it possible to haul really heavy loads, start off in difficult terrain, and drive at speeds as low as 0.5 km/h. Specially built trucks are normally used for exceptionally heavy loads, but here we're using a Volvo FH16 with a driveline that has come straight from the factory," says Peter Hardin, Product Manager FM and FMX at Volvo Trucks.

The Volvo FH16 used in the test features I-Shift with crawler gears and the strongest axles from Volvo's regular product range. The truck is driven by Magnus Samuelsson, former holder of the "World's Strongest Man" title.

"Few things can match the sense of challenging and winning over one's physical limitations. I've faced many tough challenges over the years but this pull is my heaviest ever," says Magnus Samuelsson.

At his side he has experienced trucking journalist Brian Weatherley.
"That Volvo Trucks has developed an automated gearbox that can haul 325 tonnes gross combination weight is impressive. But tackling more than 700 tonnes GCW* with a single regular production truck is really quite amazing. In my 30 years as a trucking journalist I've never seen anything like it," says Brian Weatherley.

*gross combination weight

The truck's specifications
Volvo FH16 750 hp in standard configuration, featuring Volvo's strongest axles from its regular product range.
In order to handle the pressure on the drive axle, the plate under the fifth wheel was reinforced.

How the challenge was tackled
Before the trial was carried out, several safety measures had to be adopted. For instance, the couplings between the 20 trailers were checked thoroughly and the air pressure in all 204 tyres was finely adjusted.
40 containers were loaded onto the trailers. The containers were loaded in pairs, one on top of the other.
All told, the truck, trailers and containers had a total weight exceeding 750 tonnes.
The truck hauled the rig 100 metres.

Other ways of expressing 750 tonnes
57 Volvo FH16 trucks
350 Volvo XC90 cars
150 fully grown adult elephants
4 Boeing 747 Jumbo Jets
Just over 4.5 wind turbines

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 10th June 2016 at 10:09.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks