Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:31   #1
BHPian

July 2013: Commercial Vehicle Sales in India

The sorry state continues.
Strongly believe some measures like scrapping of old trucks, assured driver supply and GST will benefit the trucking industry.
Any other measures, please comment on the thread.

July 2013: Commercial Vehicle Sales in India-jul-13-cv-analysis-figures.jpg
Started use of graphs to seem like a MBA student
July 2013: Commercial Vehicle Sales in India-jul-13-cv-analysis.jpg
turbospooler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: July 2013: Commercial Vehicle Sales in India

Small correction in the table that you have.

You have counted the ALL Dost as an SCV, ie GVW less than 2T. Actually its GVW is 2.5tons.

Other than that sales figures havnt really moved around much, though ALL seem to have had a good month. Overall, until industrial growth picks up, there is no chance of CV sales rising by much.

Would love to know how Bharat Benz are doing aafter the lauch of their LCV range. They were already doing better than Mahindra in the M&HCV segment in the Jan-Mar 2013 quarter.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:42   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Would love to know how Bharat Benz are doing aafter the lauch of their LCV range. They were already doing better than Mahindra in the M&HCV segment in the Jan-Mar 2013 quarter.
Any references you have of the same?
Last time I checked, BB was much much below Navistar which was the laggard then.
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Any references you have of the same?
Last time I checked, BB was much much below Navistar which was the laggard then.
Some news reports I had read may be a month or so back. Will try to find it today evening if I can. You are welcome to do a google search if you can, you may come upon it yourself.

And yes, I remember the report also saying that Bharat Benz was only just above Mahindra.
Old 3rd August 2013, 18:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, I cant find the report for the first 3 months of this year. But did find the following:

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...es-bharat-benz

According to this Daimler is at 5th position, just a hair behind Mahindra. Though like I said I remember Daimler being just ahead of Mahindra after the January to March period.

According to this they seem to be well on their way to meeting their targets, which IIRC was to sell about 35,000 units annually in a 2-3 years time. But overall, they dont seem to have made much of a dent in the two big boys, ie Tata and Leyland
Old 3rd August 2013, 22:18   #6
BHPian

ICV presence sure does lift one in numbers!
From a initial 6 month 1000 to 3200 is a good run but a long way from their target.
Old 4th August 2013, 21:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is the first time such a course correction is happening in Indian CV sales. I was always relating BB approach to MT&B erstwhile MNAL. They have made enough statement against top sellers. Made a fresh set of dealer network. Whomever dissatisfied with duopoly had a third alternative as Mahindra. But their approach was not to grass root level and those are lessons to BB.
I presume BB will easily touch third largest M&HCV maker soon outselling even Eicher.
But I Will be interested to know their product pricing after they achieve that. As of now they are looking attractive VFM.

Last edited by Ashley2 : 4th August 2013 at 21:51.
Old 5th August 2013, 08:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
I presume BB will easily touch third largest M&HCV maker soon outselling even Eicher.
Completely agree with that.

But, what is interesting to note is that Bharat Benz products dont always have an equivalent in the Tata or Leyland product portfolio.

Bharat Benz sales are dominated by the 25 and 31 ton rigids and some in the tippers. But there are no U-truck or Prima LX rigids to compete with the Bharat Benz products. Similarly there is no competition yet for the light duty 914, 1214, 714 trucks till Tata launches its Ultra range of trucks or till Leyland comes up with its Avia cab trucks.

Taking the example of Mahindra Trucks, they didnt make much of an impact in the tractor or the tipper segment, where products like the Prima, Prima Lx and U-truck were available. MAN trucks which was dependent more on tippers and tractors, seems to have been impacted significantly with the launch of the Prima/Prima Lx, and U-trucks from Tata and Leyland.

If in the near future we see a Prima Lx 3123/3723, or U-truck 3123/3723 launched, how will the sales of Bharat Benz and Mahindra trucks be affected remains to be seen.

For now it seems to me like the Big Two are content with their legacy rigid trucks, while letting the others have small parts of the pie without much competition.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 00:12   #9
BANNED

Re: July 2013: Commercial Vehicle Sales in India

Discounts are being given up till 25%.

Between April to July Tata Motors found a 35% decline in sale but AL had a 25%.

Sad to see but have to what effect this is having on the bus makers!

Cheers,
Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd August 2013 at 00:16.
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Discounts are being given up till 25%.

Between April to July Tata Motors found a 35% decline in sale but AL had a 25%.

Sad to see but have to what effect this is having on the bus makers!

Cheers,
Anurag.
I am sorry where did you get these values from???!!!!

Tata Motors CV Sales:

Total April-July 2013: 143,615
Total April-July 2012: 157,685
Decline: 8.9%

Ashok Leyland CV Sales:

Total April-July 2013: 30,463
Total April-July 2012: 37,272
Decline: 18.3%
Old 22nd August 2013, 10:54   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post

I am sorry where did you get these values from???!!!!
Sorry for not posting the link for my source.

Here it is:

http://in.finance.yahoo.com/video/co...7407.html?vp=1

Was browsing through Yahoo and found this so thought of posting it.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry for not posting the link for my source.

Here it is:

http://in.finance.yahoo.com/video/co...7407.html?vp=1

Was browsing through Yahoo and found this so thought of posting it.

Cheers,
Anurag.
Thanks for that. It is just another great example of how great the media in this country is. What is reported and what is the actual fact seem to have no relation to each other. Journalists seem to just make up facts and figures out of thin air.

Like the figures above show, YoY decline in sales are nowhere near the 25/35% mark the report talks about. May be if we compare the sales in what was a boom period in 2010 to the sales in 2013, we could possibly see a decline like that.

Also for the discount part, I am doubtful, because its the Mahindra executive who is saying that. May be companies like Mahindra or AMW etc may be offering such heavy discounts, but I dont think either Tata or Leyland will be offering discounts as high as 25%. Primarily because these smaller players are barely able to churn 500 units a month right now. If they fall much lower than that, they will face severe financial troubles. You can already see Mahindra merged its truck business with its parent business so as to stave off such a situation. But I dont think Tata or Leyland are facing a big enough slump in demand as to mandate discounts of 25%.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks