Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 06:26   #1
BANNED

Peterbilt Trailer Puller (aka Optimus Prime) in India

Don't ask me how it got there, but it did. The truck is in Uttarakhand at the Shrinagar hydropower project on the Alaknanda river. It's being used by L&T/GVK.

I know it's very hard to tell without any solid India clues in the pic, but it is what it is because I have this from first hand sources. Minor helpers include man's attire and typical uttarakhand terrain features in the back.

There are a handful of Peterbilts in India but this is ultra-rare because it is a trailer puller. All the Peterbilts operated by ONGC are either pump trucks, flatbeds, or service trucks.

Just to put it in perspective, there are more Phantom Drophead Coupes in India -- I would not be surprised if this was the only one in the entire SEA subcontinent.

The model is a 379. I must say it is a real treat to see such a rare All-American beauty in India.

Peterbilt Trailer Puller (aka Optimus Prime) in India-optimizedpeterbiltindia.jpg

And here's proof of it being in India (source):
Peterbilt Trailer Puller (aka Optimus Prime) in India-11219604_1659790867573187_1129795309158367836_n.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2016 at 11:32. Reason: Adding the other pic you shared :). Thanks
D33-PAC is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 09:12   #2
BHPian

re: Peterbilt Trailer Puller (aka Optimus Prime) in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Don't ask me how it got there... It's being used by L&T/GVK.
The L&T Construction Group does have a few interesting vehicles. I used to work on a Cement Plant Project at Raipur ( then in MP) in 1993-1994. They had a huge OshKosh tractor / trailor on site.
The above Peterbilt seems to be for highway use. How it manages the construction sites' rugged terrain is very interesting to know.
Ravindra M is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 12:57   #3
BHPian

re: Peterbilt Trailer Puller (aka Optimus Prime) in India

Wow!! A Peterbilt in India! Nice find, buddy. This automobile sits somewhere near the bottom in the list of exotics expected to be spotted in India. It looks more American than even the American flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
The above Peterbilt seems to be for highway use. How it manages the construction sites' rugged terrain is very interesting to know.
Yes, very much curious about it. Even our highways are no comfort zone for this monster!
Joe M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2013, 19:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Peterbilt Trailer Puller (aka Optimus Prime) in India

Too good to be true. But the truck is a mis-fit in the construction site. I can already see its front bumper on the left is almost touching the ground. How does it manage to move around with its limited GC?
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 08:39   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M View Post
It looks more American than even the American flag.
I could not have said it better myself !

I know America bashing is the favorite subject of many in the field of automobiles (amongst others ), but my god do they know how to produce some gorgeous and meaty trucks.

If any are still doubtful about this location of this picture, some gentleman who's visited this area has been nice enough to upload his picture collection. Please take a look at the similarities if in disbelief (I was).

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...c&user=5276428

What a truck and what an area!

Last edited by D33-PAC : 28th November 2013 at 08:42.
D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 09:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do you have any more details about this truck. Its is definitely not road legal in India, though it may have been allowed with a temporary permit.

Who owns it?? And for what is it being used??

The only thing I can think of is there is an American contractor building something out here, and has thus brought in his own equipment and will take it back after the job is done. There are definitely lots of trucks available in India which can do the job that this truck can do.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 09:29   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
...There are definitely lots of trucks available in India which can do the job that this truck can do.
Yeah, these trucks are made and known for very long trips, more than ruggedness or terrain handling or just pulling the heaviest trailer around. So it's difficult to understand the purpose here.

Less likely, but did L&T/GVK want some show-off ?
Old 28th November 2013, 12:38   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Do you have any more details about this truck. Its is definitely not road legal in India, though it may have been allowed with a temporary permit.

Who owns it?? And for what is it being used??

The only thing I can think of is there is an American contractor building something out here, and has thus brought in his own equipment and will take it back after the job is done. There are definitely lots of trucks available in India which can do the job that this truck can do.
Unfortunately I don't know more other than the location and that GVK-L&T are involved in the dam building.

I guess there could be American subcontractors that are involved. Also how could it be illegal if ONGC can use its fleet of Kenworths and Peterbilts.

Peterbilts and Kenworths are very much used by ONGC and a couple of them can even be found on this site. However as said before, none of them pull trailers.

Search ONGC Peterbilt in this site and you'll find the same model spotted in Gujarat, however it is a service truck.

Here are a few Peterbilts and Kenworths TBHP members have seen in the past in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ilt-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...ilt-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commer...-seaports.html

Last edited by D33-PAC : 28th November 2013 at 12:49.
D33-PAC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 12:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know more other than the location and that GVK-L&T are involved in the dam building.

I guess there could be American subcontractors that are involved. Also how could it be illegal if ONGC can use its fleet of Kenworths and Peterbilts.

Peterbilts and Kenworths are very much used by ONGC and a couple of them can even be found on this site. However as said before, none of them pull trailers.

Search ONGC Peterbilt in this site and you'll find the same model spotted in Gujarat, however it is a service truck.
As far as I know most of those are special duty vehicles that are used within certain limits and with limited use on public roads. But even then they will probably need special permits for those. Also most of those trucks too were brought in by international oil exploration firms for their work in India, like Schlumberger or Halliburton etc

This truck on the other hand seems to be a standard tractor that would pull any generic trailor.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:01   #10
BANNED

Quote:

This truck on the other hand seems to be a standard tractor that would pull any generic trailor.
I get what you're saying, but as we have seen in the threads posted above for reference, there are certainly non-specialized trucks that are brought it.

In the links posted above, we see Scanias and what appears to be a DAF rotting away at the port. Nothing extraordinary about them in terms of what they can do compared to any Indian HCV.

The only miracle is how the hell the topic at the center of this thread passed customs.

My only guess is it was flown/shipped in along with the machinery it was carrying on some specialized trailer.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2013, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but as we have seen in the threads posted above for reference, there are certainly non-specialized trucks that are brought it.

In the links posted above, we see Scanias and what appears to be a DAF rotting away at the port. Nothing extraordinary about them in terms of what they can do compared to any Indian HCV.

The only miracle is how the hell the topic at the center of this thread passed customs.

My only guess is it was flown/shipped in along with the machinery it was carrying on some specialized trailer.
These trucks, or others like it, can definitely be brought in for work, its not exactly impossible. But what I dont get is why.

Whatever overload, over-dimension cargo that it could possibly have been used to pull, could have been transported by numerous Indian transporters. There are many transporters today who specialize in huge loads, operating specialized trucks or high horsepower pullers. I imagine it would be simpler and cheaper to use their services, rather than bring in something like this truck from outside.

We have a thread showing quite a few such heavy lift operations on Indian roads.
Old 30th November 2013, 19:20   #12
BHPian

Then there's no other reason to have it here other than showing off.

I mean look at this monster. Even a layman would be impressed sighting this hulk of a machine on the road. None of the Volvos, Scanias or MANs even come close.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:39   #13
BHPian

Wow.... a Peterbilt.

As a kid I grew up playing with Matchbox miniature model cars, with the Peterbilt being one of them. Had a trailer puller, and a Peterbilt dumper truck.

Post that the closest I've come close to one is Hollywood movies. I don't think I've seen any on my trip to the US either. This is a pretty cool find D33-PAC.
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow this looks too good to be real, does this beast really exist in India? Am wondering how does it manage outside the Golden Quadrilaterals? This truck would be a good fit only on the ultra smooth roads.

Any idea as to what the expected cost is and the specifications please?
Old 4th December 2013, 00:14   #15
BANNED

If it's of any help, you can notice really odd looking reflectors on the truck to let the oncoming traffic guesstimate its size and proportions.

I have never seen those reflectors on Peterbilts in USA or any truck in USA for that matter.

Moreover, they seem to strangely resemble the reflectors seen on autos and other Indian vehicles. Look at the bumpers, the mirrors, and the step-on box below the door. Those lollipop reflectors are totally domestic add-ons .

My wildest explanation is someone in L&T who worked in the machinery procurement department had a fantasy after watching the movie transformers and used company money to fulfill their dream in the pretext of buying better/specialized foreign equipment.
D33-PAC is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks