Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 10:27   #1
BHPian

Indian Air Force Mirage 2000 test lands on the Yamuna Expressway

The IAF has been considering the use of national highways for emergency landing by fighter aircraft.

This capability was demonstrated by IAF on May 21, 2015 by a Mirage-2000 aircraft which got airborne from one of the IAF bases in Central India. All facilities like make shift Air Traffic Control, safety services, rescue vehicles, bird clearance parties and other requirements were set up by IAF personnel from Air Force Station Agra. Thereafter, in coordination with the District Magistrate and SP of Agra and Mathura, necessary tie up was carried out for activation of the selected stretch. The aircraft made a practice approach on the highway, coming down to a height of 100 mtrs before landing off the next approach. The operations were conducted with active support from the government of Uttar Pradesh, Yamuna Expressway Authority, Toll authorities of JP Infratech and Civil Police.

The IAF has plans to activate more such stretches on highways in the future.
Source: http://www.pib.nic.in/newsite/erelea...x?relid=121896

Pictures in the sequence of activities: (source: MoD Spokesperson on Twitter)

Name:  Pic1.PNG
Views: 12371
Size:  499.5 KB

Name:  pic2.PNG
Views: 11755
Size:  367.0 KB

Name:  Pic3.PNG
Views: 11840
Size:  485.0 KB

Name:  Pic4.PNG
Views: 12297
Size:  434.0 KB

Name:  Pic5.PNG
Views: 11800
Size:  577.0 KB

Name:  Pic6.PNG
Views: 11490
Size:  310.1 KB

Name:  Pic7.PNG
Views: 11865
Size:  678.3 KB

Name:  pic8.PNG
Views: 12236
Size:  708.1 KB

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2015 at 11:00. Reason: Moving the images to the OP. Thanks!
GetLife is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 10:42   #2
BHPian

re: Indian Air Force Mirage 2000 test lands on the Yamuna Expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLife View Post
The aircraft made a practice approach on the highway, coming down to a height of 100 mtrs before landing off the next approach.
This is just mind-blowing, what a feat, must have had the general onlookers enthralled.
Extremely crucial during emergency or during war, this must have required a huge amount of planning and co-ordination to execute.

Anybody on the forum witness this?

Thanks for sharing Getlife!

Cheers!
Trojan
Old 21st May 2015, 10:55   #3
BHPian

We should be happy because if the defence planners manage to influence the policy makers well, they will soon be planning 3 lane partitioned highways along the Indian borders and the coastline where such exercise has actual tactical implications.

I won't be surprised if they plan another such exercise after sunset.
avingodb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 11:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
We should be happy because if the defence planners manage to influence the policy makers well, they will soon be planning 3 lane partitioned highways along the Indian borders and the coastline where such exercise has actual tactical implications.

I won't be surprised if they plan another such exercise after sunset.
If they do, it would be a WIN WIN for everyone. I really hope they do practice these maneuvers on more such stretches since it could prove invaluable in the event of an emergency.
Old 21st May 2015, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Great job, although the practice landing officially may be first of its kind, I was once told by a friend of mine (a fighter pilot himself in IAF) that there exist at least 5-6 stretches across our national highways which they could use to land during emergencies. This was back in 2011 IIRC. Similar things are very common in the US where they develop many inter-state highways in such a way that they could be used by small/medium aircraft during emergencies.

Good job by IAF never the less...
Ace F355 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 12:29   #6
BHPian

Awesome job there, done by the IAF. This preparedness will help a lot if at all we face any emergencies.

Now, i had a few queries ::
1. Did the aircraft again take off from the Yamuna express way OR was it towed away ?
2. What criteria is taken into consideration while choosing a particular stretch of the highway ?
3. Is that stretch completely cordoned off for general public while this exercise is conducted, if yes, then will this be really helpful in real life situations ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 21st May 2015, 13:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian Air Force Mirage 2000 test lands on the Yamuna Expressway

This is awesome. And that bird is really huge with reference to the three lanes present!

I think NHAI along with the IAF should have more such stretches with appropriate lights to simulate run way lights so that these can be made into makeshift runways. There is no dearth of 3 lane highways. Even the two lane ones can be converted to three lanes where they plan to make it as makeshift runway. The Bangalore Hyderabad stretch is arrow straight for atleast 2 kms on many stretches and totally barren on either sides. Perfect location for such makeshift runways.

Only concern would be during take off the road surface has to be void of any small particles/stones. These can easily be sucked into the intake and can destroy the gas turbine engine within seconds.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 21st May 2015 at 13:31.
Old 21st May 2015, 13:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Awesome job there, done by the IAF. This preparedness will help a lot if at all we face any emergencies.

Now, i had a few queries ::
1. Did the aircraft again take off from the Yamuna express way OR was it towed away ?

3. Is that stretch completely cordoned off for general public while this exercise is conducted, if yes, then will this be really helpful in real life situations ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
It was touchdown and takeoff without coming to halt, the plane didn't stop on the highway.

Yes the stretch was completely cordoned off.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:01   #9
BANNED

Mathura in many ways may be optimal, since Agra a very major Air Force base. Now the MOD wants to spend about 16 crores setting up the Infra to make it proper. Also, the 'runway' may be reinforced for the landing loads (my guess). As AM Keelor said this is possible only for fighters since others need more space and are heavier.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:06   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Great job, although the practice landing officially may be first of its kind, I was once told by a friend of mine (a fighter pilot himself in IAF) that there exist at least 5-6 stretches across our national highways which they could use to land during emergencies. This was back in 2011 IIRC. Similar things are very common in the US where they develop many inter-state highways in such a way that they could be used by small/medium aircraft during emergencies.

Good job by IAF never the less...
There are more countries incluidng USA, Pakistan and Singapore who had already done this and has this capability. India had been planning this and never had done this before (confirmed with my father who is a retired IAF Fighter Pilot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
A
2. What criteria is taken into consideration while choosing a particular stretch of the highway ?
Ans for 2) The road should be straight wihtout any undulations for atleast 3Kms and no poles including Power, mobile phone exists in this area, also there should be options for having mobile guiding lights that can be brought into use ASAP when a situation arises.

Ans for 3) Yes it would be normally cordoned off for public (say even for stray animals and bird watchers would be put on duty when a landing is being attempted)
Amarkarthi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

As pointed out, multiple nations across the world, including some Europeans, have this ability/capability.

Its spectacular to see, and requires a lot of planning.

Although from the pilots point of view I imagine it is a pretty straigtforward visual landing (touch and go in this case) on a narrow runway. I wonder if they have any special procedure for this or not?

Jeroen
Old 21st May 2015, 14:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarkarthi View Post
There are more countries incluidng USA, Pakistan and Singapore who had already done this and has this capability.
Correct. Flights taking off and landing on Pakistan highways is a part of PAF's strategy, because they know that airstrips are the first target of IAF in case of war.

India adopting the same strategy means IAF is responding to similar threat from China (not Pakistan).
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:22   #13
BHPian

Here is the video from NDTV News

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/new...-trials/368205

Also read The Importance of Fighter Jet Landing on Yamuna Expressway:-
Its informative.

http://www.ndtv.com/opinion/the-impo...m=home-opinion
embee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:30   #14
BHPian

This is a road where driving a four wheeler beyond 100 Kmph is considered dangerous.

Mirage-2000 weighs ~8 tons when empty. Add to that at least 500-1000 Kg of fuel. The pilot has to bring all of that onto a narrow tarmac devoid of modern landing aids. Aside from obvious threat to own life, there is a huge responsibility to ensuring that the national asset (there are between 50-60 Mirages in our fleet) is not damaged or worse.

That pilot made us all look like amateurs
aditya101 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 14:39   #15
Team-BHP Support

Excellent feat. Wonder what took them so long to showcase this capability. I remember an instance when a private plane landed on US 101 News link when I figured out the potential of these interstate highways.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks