Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2015, 21:03   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

AFAIK this has been implemented at Allahabad byepass, Pathankot, Udaipur, Agra Gwalior and more are under implementation.
Each project and state had it's own norm on ownership of equipment etc. It had been included in all the NHAI BOT projects signed in last five years but on ground implementation is now starting.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2015, 22:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Protecting highways using toll : How weight-based toll works for large vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

So if a truck with three axle (excluding the front wheels) has loading of say 25 tons. And has all wheels working he would pay a toll of Rs330 but if he is driving with one set of wheels lifted (previous post) then he would be charged Rs1220 as per row for truck with two rear axles with load between 20~30 tons.
So, if a truck operator lowers all wheels at the toll naka, pays 330, and then lifts one set of wheels, how will this system catch him?

Its good that there will now be some mechanism to catch the offenders for overloading, but I'm uncertain of how much it will really help.

The major causes of bad roads are due to bad design, inferior materials, and then overloading. Addressing only a part of the 3rd largest reason, while ignoring the foremost reasons is not going to make much of a difference to the quality of our highways.

Also, as you rightly pointed out, there is very little interest in maintaining the infrastructure for the current concessionaires, since they have not won the bids in an absolutely transparent manner. Hence, they have no fear of losing the contract to collect toll in case of breach of the tender conditions.

The mess is much deeper, but anyways, I think we have to be thankful that things are changing, albeit slowly.

Thank you for sharing such a detailed post, it was very informative.

Last edited by Lalvaz : 27th September 2015 at 22:38.
Old 28th September 2015, 11:34   #18
BHPian

Re: Protecting highways using toll : How weight-based toll works for large vehicles

Superb thread, financial incentives are the only sure shot to enforce rules, eventually I hope truckers also realise that they are killing their vehicles by overloading them. If they implement this everywhere it will improve road quality.
Now the next step one can hope for is a minimum speed limit .
Old 29th September 2015, 13:15   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Excellent piece. Curious to know why only that section had this type of toll collection. I have never seen this in the south.
I wanted to start a thread on this topic sometime back but couldn't get my lazy ass to do that. Thanks to the thread starter.

The Sriperumbudur toll on Chennai Bangalore highway has this. I did shoot a few videos of it when I went to went to my college which is nearby to collect my certificates. I will search for the videos and post them.
Old 29th September 2015, 13:51   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Only way to enforce is to expect honesty from operators, police etc. Might as well ask God for easier gift in India.
That said slow but steady pace of reforms and pervasive inclusion of remote monitoring cameras etc for monitoring will push for better compliance.

One of the problems facing "enforcers" is resistance from locals and transporters.
While NHAI norms have specified straight ten times toll for any overloading the operators are trying to use carrot and stick policy in implementation. They are trying to get users acclimatised to the idea.
As shared by toll personnel in the month of June - just after installation of weighing system - they faced maximum gherao's and agitation. Slowly the number of truckers objecting dropped down. Now only the local short distance transport guys create trouble. Employing retired police personnel liaising with local authorities is almost a must.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd November 2015 at 16:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2015, 15:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:

This particular toll center caught my attention as it had implemented weight based toll collection recently. Fortunately we had some connection with the toll lessee operator so we got a guided tour and could see and discuss the operations closely.

Weigh bridge accepts multiple axle trucks and trailers at a go. I was curious how this detects number of axles to work out the load per axle rather than gross weight for charging. I was explained that there are load cells that can do this. Though I was not fully able to understand the principle.
Attachment 1419645

How would this be calculated? The car guy was in a hurry while the truck was still being weighed. So the read out should be four plus two = six axles?
Attachment 1419646

Typical system of lifting one axle to show compliance. The old worn out wheels on the front most axle do not touch the ground. Only for show. Lax policing is reflected here. See no bulge on the tyre at left? I could not go down enough to take picture of axle not touching the road.

However the newer type weigh bridge answers this.

It weighs each axle as the vehicle passes over it and operator get accumulated weight of all axles.
There is no way the loadcell can detect the number of axles. Loadcells are just transducers that convert phycial quantities like pressure or weight into electrical signals.
Longer weighbridges have multiple cells that is connected to the "junction box" where the total effective weight can be displayed to the indicator.

In the pic where santro is boarded on to the platform ,the total weight will be weight of santro + weight of the truck. I have my own doubts if the axle can be counted automatically.

The new type of weighbridge you mentioned has just pressure plates connected to the loadcells,without the long platform. The working principle reamins the same. These plates are placed under each wheel and total weight of the truck is calculated.

These weighbridges do have a disadvantage. They are not very accurate and the weight of the truck can differ from one weighbridge to another
Old 29th September 2015, 15:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. About the weigh bridge with long platform. The weighing platform had 24 IR beams in vertical plane and 48 in horizontal. The are not all straight across but also mounted with diagonal directions. As per owner this is effective in detecting axles and weight.

Single axle short platform accuracy is matter of order but not a negative step.

Santro guy went on to the platform despite red light telling him to wait.

Others also check up on similar set-up that come up in your area.

Last edited by sudev : 29th September 2015 at 15:31.
Old 30th September 2015, 01:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing Sudev. This is really insightful. Overloaded trucks are a boon for corrupt cops and rto. Rural roads get destroyed by these. Coorg has a lot of timber trucks which are always overloaded. They basically create undulations in the roads when they brake, and over a period of time we will have a crater!

Great work Sudev and hope this gets pushed to other toll booths too. One step at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
Superb thread, financial incentives are the only sure shot to enforce rules, eventually I hope truckers also realise that they are killing their vehicles by overloading them. If they implement this everywhere it will improve road quality.
Am glad your so optimistic. God will come and appear in front of you before the truck owners start caring about killing their vehicles. Its one nice masala mix of authorities and truckers flouting the rules. Just a sample: Interstate checkpoints are known to delay goods movement by days. There is some data on the amount of bribes a driver would have to pay during a trip.

Also an example is the transport time for Del - Mum is supposedly 7 days. Can anybody confirm?

Maddy
Old 1st October 2015, 22:12   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

On the customer side I think all toll plaza should allow free passage if the queue length reaches a fixed point. What the point of having six lanes if only three are worked at a time?
sudev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 00:03   #25
BHPian

Very informative article, thanks for the images. Nice to see use of advanced technology on Indian roads.

Quote:
I was curious how this detects number of axles to work out the load per axle rather than gross weight for charging.
There are piezo/axle sensors that in conjunction with dynamic measurement systems help to measure: Individual axle weights, axle distances, number of axles, gross vehicle weight etc.

Quote:
The car guy was in a hurry while the truck was still being weighed. So the read out should be four plus two = six axles?

It weighs each axle as the vehicle passes over it and operator get accumulated weight of all axles.
This confused me. The first line suggests its a static scale while the seconds indicates its a weigh-in-motion. Or was it both? Some systems include both and use the static scales for weight verification.
The above situation of another vehicle climbing from back can be avoided by using induction loops in combination with audio(alarm)visual(stop signs/automated barricades). Such a system can detect that a single vehicle has entirely boarded the ramp/scale and prevent other vehicles from entering.

Another simple solution would be to install speed breakers. If one wants to be energy efficient at the same time, these speed breakers can be used to generate electricity by harnessing the kinetic energy of large frequency of vehicles constantly crossing the toll plaza. It can prove helpful in electrical operation of the toll plaza(billboards/toll booth signs), lighting street lamps etc.
Old 2nd October 2015, 05:50   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

There were both types deployed in different lanes. The car picture is of static weigh bridge.
Interesting idea about generating electricity
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

I saw weight based toll at many toll booths during my drive to Rajasthan.
One near Belgaum and few in Rajasthan. In Rajasthan, I saw the weight of my car displayed at 2 toll booths. Also, in one toll booth, had to reverse my car as it entered the platform along with the trailer in front.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks