Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 18:58   #1
BHPian

Which Pickup Truck should I buy?

Guys need your help to buy a pickup for our power cables business. We want to replace our 2004 Tata 207 Di which served us fairly well for over 1 lac kms. The options are -
1) Mahindra Bolero pickup - power - 63 ps, torque 195 Nm
2) Tata Xenon pickup - power - 75 ps, torque 223 Nm
3) Tata 407 - power - 75 ps, torque 245 Nm
4) Isuzu pickup - power - 136 ps, torque - 290 Nm

All these cost in between 6.5 to 7 lac on road. On paper Tata 407 seems most value for money with much better loading capacity at marginal increase in price but wider for narrow streets. We want a reliable and low cost of ownership vehicle. Isuzu is serious power but will it withstand abuse and driver driving 90% of the times. Suggestions please.

Mods please merge in any other related thread. Couldn't find any.
Old 6th October 2015, 21:01   #2

re: Which Pickup Truck should I buy?

Please go for the 407 it's a work horse and a delight. My relative has been using the 407 for the past 8 years with one topple (accident) and 2 lakh plus she simply refuses to give so now another added to the fleet few months back. Although it lacks the firepower unlike the isuzu but reliability is the need of the hour in business.
pikaxe123 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 02:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8763 View Post
Guys need your help to buy a pickup for our power cables business. We want to replace our 2004 Tata 207 Di which served us fairly well for over 1 lac kms. The options are -
1) Mahindra Bolero pickup - power - 63 ps, torque 195 Nm
2) Tata Xenon pickup - power - 75 ps, torque 223 Nm
3) Tata 407 - power - 75 ps, torque 245 Nm
4) Isuzu pickup - power - 136 ps, torque - 290 Nm

Mods please merge in any other related thread. Couldn't find any.
How much hauling are we talking about? If you can do with a Isuzu loading bay and there is a service center nearby please go with it. The 407 requires a driver with more skills as compared to a Isuzu.

Bolero pickups are used plenty in our area and are work horses. I have never seen a xenon being used on the same modes.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 07:39   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaxe123 View Post
Although it lacks the firepower unlike the isuzu but reliability is the need of the hour in business.
Isuzu = Reliability

But, will it handle abuse as bravely as a Tata/Mahindra?

For commercial vehicles, I will go with the one which is seen most on the road.
# Drivers familiar with controls & small DIY jobs.
# Better availability of spares along with mechanic, anywhere, everywhere, 24X7
# Better resale

Sometimes, we enthusiasts should let the head rule in these $$$ related matters where we won't be driving.
Sheel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 07:43   #5

Hey , pardon my sentence composition. What I meant was although isuzu has the fire power , tata 407 is more reliable . And reliability is the need of the hour in business rather than power and torque.
Cheers
pikaxe123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 08:42   #6
BHPian

I vouch for TATA 407 Pickup for your needs. This is based on cousin's experience. He is into the business of consumer durables in Pune and his 407 Pickup is on duty since last 2 years. Many a times, he does not mind driving himself.

- Absolutely reliable engine.
- Although looks have not been changed much over a period of time, there are many many improvements under the hood as well as on chassis, brakes, suspension.
- Nobody talks, but it has been designed keeping our road conditions and overloading in mind.
- The turning circle diameter is good enough, even for our narrow and crowded streets.

Xenon is also equally capable. You can go for it if you drive yourself and you would like to carry business "in style".

Last edited by Ravindra M : 7th October 2015 at 08:43. Reason: Spelling corrections
Ravindra M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8763 View Post
1) Mahindra Bolero pickup - power - 63 ps, torque 195 Nm.
If you are considering the Bolero Pickup, might as well take a look at the Mahindra Genio too:

http://www.mahindragenio.com/specification.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 10:40   #8
BHPian

Thanks maddy42, comfortablynumb, Sheel and Ravindra M.

Comfortablynumb I enquired about Genio, it's out of stock , may be new version to be launched in a couple of months.

Maddy 42 our usual haul is around 1.0 -1.5 tonnes.
Old 7th October 2015, 15:36   #9
BHPian

Re: Which Pickup Truck should I buy?

I am using tata 207 from last 5 years for my company, I have also outsourced transportation to a guy who uses a mahindra bolero pickup, and i occasionally drive both these trucks so have first hand knowledge of both.

Both these trucks are extremely reliable, reasonably powerful, can take extreme amount of abuse and have fairly cheap spares and maintenance.

Diffence in both vehicles is the amount of load you carry, although recommended load carrying limit of both these vehicles is 1.2 or 1.3 tons but most often they are used for loads upto 2 or even 3 tons. If you want to carry loads < 1.5 tons then mahindra pickup will be best. Its drive is very easy, mostly car like, mileage is good, driver with normal skills can drive it easily, also it has got less turning radius and is less wider so easy in traffic.

If loads to be carried is > 1.5 tons then go for tata. It has wider body and requires a little more skill, where mahindra feels like a car, tata feels like a truck. Also with same driving style and driving conditions mahindra will drive approximately 2 kms more for every litre of diesel.

Regarding ISUZU, consider this truck only if planning use it as a luxury or lifestyle vehicle. it might be more reliable then both tata and mahindra as well as more powerful but cost of spares as well as regular maintenance will be too high also no roadside mechanic will dare touch a ISUZU.

so my take go for bolero. On additional note I am also planning to buy another pickup for my company ( transportation of mineral water boxes) and I have selected bolero
amit_snk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 16:28   #10
BHPian

May I ask why is the 207 not being considered again?
It will be cheaper than the Xenon, same HP as the 407 and the driver is already familiar with it.
If some break from monotony is required then do go for the other options. Otherwise why change it if it is not broken!
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 18:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
May I ask why is the 207 not being considered again?
It will be cheaper than the Xenon, same HP as the 407 and the driver is already familiar with it.
If some break from monotony is required then do go for the other options. Otherwise why change it if it is not broken!
I guess you are asking me. Firstly i am not changing my truck but buying 2nd one. Tata 207 is a fantastic truck, we have hauled loads > 3 tons on this vehicle without a hitch. But for specific purpose of hauling mineral water boxes with loads not exceeding 1.5 tons for my company, truck needs high maneuverability to pass through small lanes and by lanes, that's where bolero is better then tata. Also bolero scores high on fuel consumption over tata(+2 kms/ Ltd), it drives like a car hence can be driven little faster so completes the same job faster compared to tata.
amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 18:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
I guess you are asking me. Firstly i am not changing my truck but buying 2nd one. Tata 207 is a fantastic truck, we have hauled loads > 3 tons on this vehicle without a hitch. But for specific purpose of hauling mineral water boxes with loads not exceeding 1.5 tons for my company, truck needs high maneuverability to pass through small lanes and by lanes, that's where bolero is better then tata. Also bolero scores high on fuel consumption over tata(+2 kms/ Ltd), it drives like a car hence can be driven little faster so completes the same job faster compared to tata.
No Sir, I am not asking you!
I agree with your input about the driveability and loadability.
I posed the question to the thread poster. Apologies if it sounded that way
Old 7th October 2015, 19:33   #13
BHPian

Thanks Amit_snk and turbospooler for your suggestions. The available options at Tata dealership is basic Xenon (with power steering ,non AC) pickup or Tata 407 pickup. Xenon with dicor engine is around 2.5 lacs expensive @9 - 10 lacs ex showroom approx. Tata is subtly changing engines and models innovatively in the commercial vehicle space. Hopefully the old one gets sold soon and festival season discounts will help. Isuzu maintenance may be expensive as all suggest. Mahindra may lose on brand loyalty else it's competent I know.
Old 7th October 2015, 21:18   #14
BHPian

Pardon me, but is not the 407 a lorry with 6 tyres. (I have seen such vehicles but never a pick up version of 407). 407 competes with vehicles like SML Samrat (old Mazda). I think 207 is the pickup. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Note from Support: Post Edited for grammar & spell-check. Please take time to properly type & space your posts for better readability. Thanks!
Captain Haddock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 22:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
Pardon me, but is not the 407 a lorry with 6 tyres. (I have seen such vehicles but never a pick up version of 407). 407 competes with vehicles like SML Samrat (old Mazda). I think 207 is the pickup. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Used to think the same but Tata has brought a shorter and cheaper pickup version of its warhorse 407. It's not banned in 'no entry' timings in cities and has legal load capacity almost double the other pickups. Price is also marginally more than others hence great value for money offering. But Xenon single cab suits me better I think.
w8763 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks