Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2015, 02:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Aerovault MKII Car Trailer

Came across this really interesting and revolutionary new trailer (to transport cars) and thought it was worth sharing.
Designed by the legendary Perer Brock (of Corvette Stingray and Shelby Daytona Coupe fame), this trailer addresses all the issues faced by people towing their prized cars, both race cars and auction stars, faced until now. This is a very good example of applying automotive design learnings to something as neglected and under-rated as a trailer.
The Aerovault MKII Car Trailer-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446757302.211877.jpgThe Aerovault MKII Car Trailer-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446757310.942362.jpg
Made out of lightweight and composite materials to keep its weight down to as little as 2500lbs and designed to be as aerodynamic as possible, this lets the trailer not only improve the fuel efficiency by 30-50%, but also handle better!
And at $25,999 it sounds like a very nice deal seeing how it will be carrying your million dollar cars.
The benefits of the breakthrough Aerovault trailer
Aerodynamics: Which include not only the shape but a flush top, sides AND bottom
Lightweight: Using the best combination of aluminum and composite materials
Strong: After seeing those coil coated aluminum trailers you may not realize how strong sheet aluminum is.
Designed for one-person use: Standard features such as a remote control winch allow you to do it all.
Full details including a 43 page brochure here: http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc...e=car_trailers
http://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerova...jFU6X2usBJKjz3
The Aerovault MKII Car Trailer-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446757784.419980.jpg
The Aerovault MKII Car Trailer-imageuploadedbyteambhp1446757794.137024.jpg
shyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 06:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Aerovault MKII Car Trailer

Thanks for sharing. Quite the trailer!

Still $26000 is a lot for a trailer. In the USA you can get a fully loaded Volkswagen and get change too.

Of course, few would use it to transport their beloved classic cars which could be worth easily an order of magnitude more

Still their website says:

Quote:
We heard many people complain about their costs for towing their heavy "bread box" trailers
When you can afford to own a Classic Car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and buy a $26000 dollar trailer, do you really worry about the cost of petrol?

Also, at this price tag, you have to tow this thing around the US coast to coast several times over, before the lower fuel consumption price tag makes up for the purchase price of the trailer.

The brochure is very nice and even shows how it is built. Initially I thought it was pretty low and I wondered if even a regular sedan would fit. That’s just an optical illusion. The brochure shows how tall it really is. Unless your classic is a landrover or similar, everything else should fit in well.

I have no idea about the market for these trailers. But when we lived in the USA we knew plenty of people who would be seriously interested in such a trailer. I was a member of the Jaguar Club. Each local chapter organises a concour d’elegance every year so there are dozens of these around the country. And some members would literally travel from one to the next throughout the season with their beloved classic E-type or Mk150 or whatever on a trailer.

Our rules stipulated that you had to drive your car onto the concours d’elegance ground under its own power. So usually there was a whole pile of these and other sorts of trailer in a nearby car park.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 13:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

Aerovault MK II Trailer: Revolutionary new car trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Thanks for sharing. Quite the trailer!

When you can afford to own a Classic Car worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and buy a $26000 dollar trailer, do you really worry about the cost of petrol?

Also, at this price tag, you have to tow this thing around the US coast to coast several times over, before the lower fuel consumption price tag makes up for the purchase price of the trailer.

I have no idea about the market for these trailers. But when we lived in the USA we knew plenty of people who would be seriously interested in such a trailer. I was a member of the Jaguar Club. Each local chapter organises a concour d’elegance every year so there are dozens of these around the country. And some members would literally travel from one to the next throughout the season with their beloved classic E-type or Mk150 or whatever on a trailer.

But with a claimed fuel saving of 30-50%, don't you think it is worth the investment? And then there is the better handling part too which gives you a sense of peace and lastly there is the novelty factor! How many people can say they have a trailer designed by Peter Brock

About the demand, their website mentions the following- "The result was the Aerovault MKI, which was wildly successful yet we could never get enough built to satisfy demand (30 Aerovault MKIs were built and are still being used by very happy owners)."
So seeing how niche the product is and going by their targets, they should sell out this one too.

And nice to know about the Jaguar Club part! Did you own any classic Jags yourself?
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Aerovault MK II Trailer: Revolutionary new car trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
But with a claimed fuel saving of 30-50%, don't you think it is worth the investment? And nice to know about the Jaguar Club part! Did you own any classic Jags yourself?

So lets assume a classic car owner that hauls its trailer East to West and back again twice. That would be say20.000km per year. Your typical Yank gasguzzler at 20 mpg, means he would burn 650 gallon. Typical price per gallon say $2.40. Do the math, you would need a long time or a lot more mileage per year for it to make financial sense

My Jaguar was a 2002 XJR (X308), 4.0L, Supercharged V8, picture in my garage. The Jaguar Concours have different classes, based on model, but also whether your car is used daily or not. Mine was my daily drive. One first price twice in its class twice.

I have (co)-owned some other classic Jaguars quite some time ago. The earlier XJ models, and to some the original and best XJ's. I dont agree. I think the X308 is maybe not the best, but certainly the prettiest of them all. Last of the typical sleek Jaguar Saloon.

The next XJ version (X350) and current XJ are phenomenal cars, but they all look blown up in the wrong parts. I call it the whale syndrome, Many modern incarnations of earlier models suffer from this.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 6th November 2015 at 16:13.
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2015, 13:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
So lets assume a classic car owner that hauls its trailer East to West and back again twice. That would be say20.000km per year. Your typical Yank gasguzzler at 20 mpg, means he would burn 650 gallon. Typical price per gallon say $2.40. Do the math, you would need a long time or a lot more mileage per year for it to make financial sense

My Jaguar was a 2002 XJR (X308), 4.0L, Supercharged V8, picture in my garage. The Jaguar Concours have different classes, based on model, but also whether your car is used daily or not. Mine was my daily drive. One first price twice in its class twice.

I have (co)-owned some other classic Jaguars quite some time ago. The earlier XJ models, and to some the original and best XJ's. I dont agree. I think the X308 is maybe not the best, but certainly the prettiest of them all. Last of the typical sleek Jaguar Saloon.

The next XJ version (X350) and current XJ are phenomenal cars, but they all look blown up in the wrong parts. I call it the whale syndrome, Many modern incarnations of earlier models suffer from this.

Jeroen

So people will buy it for the novelty factor only then. Agreed.
And sweet car, your Jaguar! You are a lucky man, sir.
Old 8th November 2015, 18:51   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
So people will buy it for the novelty factor only then. Agreed.
And sweet car, your Jaguar! You are a lucky man, sir.

Thanks. I Think this trailer looks really need and with a lot of thought put into it! So from that point of view I would say it is way much better then other trailers. Value for money is always in the eye of the beholder!
Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks