Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 09:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Proposal from ARAI: Seatbelts in Auto Rickshaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Introduction of seat belts in Autos should be welcome! Obviously, the design aspects will have to be looked into by the experts at ARAI and others institutes. (For example, why not have a Belt-in-Seat or a four-point belt system?)
"4 point seat belt" ??? Seriously???
May I know which production car in India has a 4 point seat belt? You are suggesting something which is used in race cars, and you want indian auto rickshaws to implement this? Wonderful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
Once introduced, and with carrot and stick policy by the RTOs, slowly it will take roots. I see many more car drivers using the seat belts and more bike riders using helmets these days than a few years back.
Its better to take small steps rather than expect quantum jumps and do nothing.
As I've said before, these are proposals which have not been thought through in detail. Some joker has merely proposed something with no application of mind. It is simply not possible because:

1) You do not have a stable structure to anchor a seat belt in an auto
2) It is not mandatory to buckle up for rear seat passengers in any vehicle in India as of now.
3) Enforcing this stupid idea is not practically possible.

If you want to make it safer, at least propose the following first:
1) Addition of doors so that people do not fall off the vehicle.
2) A rigid body shell, no reason why it cannot have a FRP or metal structure made of high tensile steel.

Currently Autos come only as a chassis, and the covering is done by FNG's, hence the flimsy structure. Why not insist that the automobile company build autos in the factory with a monocoque structure?
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 16:52   #32
BHPian

I feels seat belts in a auto-rickshaw will be helpful in low speed accidents.

I personally know of a case where one female sitting on the left side of the passenger seat got her jaw broken in several places because her jaw hit the Fare Meter metal cap.

The rickshaw did not meet any accident, the driver just braked hard to avoid hitting a criss-crossing biker and swerved a bit.

I am sure a seat belt would have saved her jaw and accompanying agony of pain and liquid diet for next few months.
Old 14th December 2015, 20:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I feels seat belts in a auto-rickshaw will be helpful in low speed accidents.

I personally know of a case where one female sitting on the left side of the passenger seat got her jaw broken in several places because her jaw hit the Fare Meter metal cap.

The rickshaw did not meet any accident, the driver just braked hard to avoid hitting a criss-crossing biker and swerved a bit.

I am sure a seat belt would have saved her jaw and accompanying agony of pain and liquid diet for next few months.
Amit, while I understand where you're coming from, you must understand that this will never see the light of day. Also, it shows that the autos should be better designed with no hard objects that can inflict injury in the event of a collision. There are more than enough use cases for seat belts in an auto rickshaw but it will never happen in reality due to the reasons explained above.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2015, 19:46   #34
BHPian

Auto rickshaws are one of the most unsafe modes of transport on our roads. Even more unsafe than 2 wheelers!
They are light weight, poorly built/maintained. With such a poorly designed structure and built, seat belts would barely add anymore safety to the passangers and driver.

More emphasis should be given on urging the autorickshaw manufacturers to design more safer structure.

Clearly a not so well thought of move!

Next we know they may even enforce seatbelts for 2 wheelers and helmets for 4 wheelers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks