Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2016, 12:33   #61
Senior - BHPian

The solar airplane folks have landed in Phoenix and my friend has got a slot to visit them. Follow them on Twitter and really hats off for their effort. Do you guys see it touching the main stream folk in the future?

Maddy
Old 7th May 2016, 15:06   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bombardier Learjet 60XR - Initial Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
The solar airplane folks have landed in Phoenix and my friend has got a slot to visit them. Follow them on Twitter and really hats off for their effort. Do you guys see it touching the main stream folk in the future?
It’s always difficult to predict, but i’m sure solar energy will find some place in aviation, be it drones or otherwise.

Aviation is actually a pretty slow moving industry in terms of innovation. Its mainly because of very complicated, costly and lengthy certification processes.

But it’s definitely happening. I read several (general) aviation magazines. I can honestly say that until about 2-3 years ago, never did you see any mention of electrical driven aircraft. Now there is an article about electrical aircraft nearly every month in every main stream magazine. Quite a bit of it is what is know in aviation circles as experimental (Under the FAA rules that exempts you from a bunch of rules and regulations), but there are now electrical equivalent to the old trusted Cessna 152/172 coming to market. BTW mostly battery powered they are.

So I would say its just a matter of time. How big an impact solar energy will have on aviation propulsion is difficult to predict. I would think it will always be supplementary to battery and or other energy sources.

Jeroen
Old 11th May 2016, 07:11   #63
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bombardier Learjet 60XR - Initial Impressions

Why flying is expensive. This video will explain it. And fuel is not the answer

Maddy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks