Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 11:32   #586
BHPian

Re: Boeing 777 - Pilot's Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaranP View Post
Lovely thread!

I've been a commercial aviation enthusiast all my life, and it was a joy going through this!

I'd really appreciate if pilots and aviation enthusiasts could give me some key pointers - which would help me make my decision.

Karan
Hi Karan,

I return to teambhp and this thread after a long hiatus of about 2 years. I wasn't really thinking of being active on team bhp because of some personal stuff that's taking a lot of my time, but your post caught my attention.

So i've resigned from my job and will be leaving my aviation career once and for all. Partly, the reason for this was that I realised I loved flying - but not ferrying passengers from one point to another repeatedly. Some might disagree with on this, but that's fine. That's just my opinion. Flying was an "out" for me - and I certainly should not have made a career out of it. Looking back, I still don't regret the decision to fly commercially for 10 years - nothing else would have made me realise this if I didn't do this myself.

I will also be moving back to India due to personal and family issues. I will still be flying recreationally as a private pilot in india - will be much more difficult than USA.

To Karan, - I would strongly advise to do what Jeroen said. Enroll in a PPL course in US or if that's not possible - india even. Fly for sometime and see for yourself whether you will be able to do that for the rest of your life. I flew since I was 16 or 17, and got bored in another 15 years - and trust me I thought I would never get bored of it. Near Missouri, Columbia - flying as a kid, I knew all the grass strips and what the elevation was at what point. And now, sitting on the left seat with 4 stripes and saying "New York tower, 213 heavy, cleared to land" - doesn't excite me anymore. I'm sick and tired of ignoring my family, my health, my meals, and being alone all the time. I can't do it anymore.

Cheers and take care - I will be active on teambhp henceforth so do ask any follow up questions you might have.
searchingheaven is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:14   #587
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2020 at 11:21.
Govardhansupra is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st May 2021, 13:51   #588
BANNED

Even though it is about the 787, I am posting it for here as there is a healthy technical discussion regarding air planes on this thread.
Please see the photo.
Boeing 777 - Pilot's Review-787.jpeg

The nose cone seems to be held by a duct tape.
What type of duct tape is it?
Is it to prevent water seepage inside as there is housed a radar behind that nose cone.?

What kind of glue will the duct tape use, as it should over come about -70 deg C, wind force and then tropical heat.?

Thank you in advance.
norhog is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 15:15   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Even though it is about the 787, I am posting it for here as there is a healthy technical discussion regarding air planes on this thread.
Please see the photo.
Attachment 2151070

The nose cone seems to be held by a duct tape.
What type of duct tape is it?
Is it to prevent water seepage inside as there is housed a radar behind that nose cone.?

What kind of glue will the duct tape use, as it should over come about -70 deg C, wind force and then tropical heat.?

Thank you in advance.
What we are seeing is a heavy-duty aluminium bonding tape known as ‘speed tape’. It’s a temporary fix and it’s used only on superficial or noncritical components, or non-load bearing components until more complete repairs are made later on typically when the aircraft reaches its home port some hours later. In some geographies it is called the Jesus tape because it saves your backside!

It is approved for use by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), and engineered to adhere to the airplane fuselage, even when traveling at 550 knots (over ~1000 kmph) the typical maximum cruising speed of an airliner. A roll (can’t recall the length) costs around Rs 50,000 a piece. And of course it can withstand the cold temperatures and lower air pressure of 40,000 feet.

In the case here it is probably being used to hold together a thin crack which it can well do as the nose radome is quite light. If it went all the way around over 180 degrees then it could be also for waterproofing but that may not be the case here. Typically these band aid fixes are made when the airliner is away from its home base and the repair is not life threatening. But I will comment, like an old grouch, that they could have laid it out more neatly.
V.Narayan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 17:45   #590
BANNED

Many thanks Narayan sir.
Any idea of the bonding material of the tape, that would be interesting.
Also any automotive equivalent for us.

Thank you.
norhog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 17:49   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
What we are seeing is a heavy-duty aluminium bonding tape known as ‘speed tape’. ...

I definitely want some of that for my glues and tapes collections! Sounds like wonderful stuff
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 18:41   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Many thanks Narayan sir.
Any idea of the bonding material of the tape, that would be interesting.
Sorry no idea any longer. Maybe at some earlier point I might have known. But as my brain has shrunk with age it is one of those pieces of information that got filtered out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I definitely want some of that for my glues and tapes collections! Sounds like wonderful stuff
Very very effective to handcuff a troublemaker with. The strongest wannabe hijacker won't be able to release himself. Hmm I can think of a few talkative types......
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 09:36   #593
Senior - BHPian

How much thrust while cruising?

A question to the pilots and SMEs in this forum:

I heard a claim that a jet plane like the Boeing 777 will be at its FULL THRUST while cruising normally (Like at 35000 feet, 900kmph, no head/tail winds).

I think they will not be at full thrust or anywhere near that while cruising normally.

Can pilots in this forum answer this, please? If max thrust is 100%, at what percentage range of thrust the planes will be while cruising normally?

Appreciate it if others don't reply after referring to Google, because I did that already, and what it tells me is that the planes will use up anywhere between 30-60% of max thrust while cruising.
Old 17th March 2023, 11:26   #594
Senior - BHPian

Re: How much thrust while cruising?

Mod Note: Please do NOT post any responses from AI / ChatGPT. We take pride in our original thoughts, opinions & content. Thank you.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th March 2023 at 11:34. Reason: Mod note in-line.
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 07:31   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a B-777 related video but one about the testing about aircraft:

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th April 2023 at 18:51. Reason: Removed duplicate URL as requested.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks