Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 18:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

CBSE makes speed governors, GPS & CCTV must for school buses

The Central Board of Secondary Education has issued fresh guidelines to its affiliated schools, making it mandatory for school buses to be equipped with speed governors, GPS and CCTV. The board has also made it clear that failing to comply with these guidelines can result in disaffiliation of the school from the board.

In the official announcement made, CBSE has quoted recent media reports which had pointed towards certain schools that were ignorant about the safety of students during transit. As a result, the board has now issued comprehensive guidelines in order to ensure safety of students during their commute to and from the schools.

CBSE has divided the complete guidelines into seven major categories, including the exterior & interior of bus, permits, arrangement by school authorities, manpower, etc. Under these guidelines, it has been made mandatory for school buses to be painted yellow and have the school's name written on both sides. For buses that are owned by the institute, it is compulsory to have 'School Bus' written on the front and rear, while for hired buses, 'on school duty' must be written. Other details like driver's name, address, licence number, badge number and the school/owner's contact number must also be mentioned in a contrasting shade, both on the outside and inside of the bus.

Additionally, the buses will need to be fitted with reliable locks on the doors and horizontal grills and mesh wire on the windows. It must also be equipped with GPS, CCTV and a speed governor with the top speed limited to 40 km/h.

Source: Times of India

CBSE makes speed governors, GPS & CCTV must for school buses-p290411_06.20.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 19:49   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: CBSE makes speed governors, GPS & CCTV must for school buses

That's a welcome move, when (some) schools were least bothered about the safety of innocent children at least this new rule makes some sense and we hope if not all, a few of the schools will stick to it (rest of the world will have so called devices installed only during their vehicle FC or during inspection)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
speed governor with the top speed limited to 40 km/h.
Speed limiting is fine, but in case of an emergency situation where the vehicle need to be driven fast, is there an over ride option?
Mr.Boss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 20:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Additionally, the buses will need to be fitted with reliable locks on the doors and horizontal grills and mesh wire on the windows.
There does not seem to be a mention of emergency exits. With these kind of things (locked doors, grilled windows etc.) let us hope these buses don't become death traps in case of an accident.

I suppose emergency exits are part of local (state-level) regulation anyway.

Having said that, now we need local police to crack down on the unaffiliated vehicles.
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 21:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good move. My Son's school has already implemented. There are even cameras in the bus. Also they have linked the GPS to an Istore app call Falcon Parent, with this we can see the actual location of the bus and gives data of time boarded and the de boarding time.

Some steps in the right direction. The school was quick to implement.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 21:35   #5
BHPian

Interesting guidelines.
Hope CBSE also makes it mandatory for schools to not allow students to come on their own vehicles.
Normal age of class 12 students is 17. No school student, or for that matter, intermediate college student is eligible to drive. Many people flout this by getting the license meant for small cubic capacity ungeared mopeds and then riding around on Activas and Scootys.
Bring the minimum age requirement to 16 and then enforce strictly.
Most school students driving around are unlicensed, untrained and have no concern for safety. And it is all thanks to the parents.
Regulate the autos, etc also.
Students should either be driven safely to school or they should come walking/cycling or they can use any other means of licensed commercial transport.
If CBSE doesn't regulate all modes of transport then it just becomes an empty gesture meant to pander to people.
Alfresco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 22:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
The Central Board of Secondary Education has issued fresh guidelines to its affiliated schools, making it mandatory for school buses to be equipped with speed governors, GPS and CCTV. The board has also made it clear that failing to comply with these guidelines can result in disaffiliation of the school from the board.
Very good move in my opinion, there are way too many school buses on the road driving like maniacs. I am seriously of the opinion if a school bus driver is caught driving recklessly, he should be imprisoned for endangering children.

There were already some schools implementing tracking and stringent rules for their drivers and it was seen on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Speed limiting is fine, but in case of an emergency situation where the vehicle need to be driven fast, is there an over ride option?
I hope not, the bus guys would just use it all the time. Why should a school bus be used in an emergency situation? It isn't an emergency vehicle.
Old 25th February 2017, 07:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Why should a school bus be used in an emergency situation? It isn't an emergency vehicle.
School bus may not be used in an emergency situation, but emergency situation may arise irrespective of if it is a school bus or cycle. I'm speaking about an unexpected emergency during travel.
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 09:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
...many school buses on the road driving like maniacs. I am seriously of the opinion if a school bus driver is caught driving recklessly, he should be imprisoned...
Our "chalta hai" attitude affects us all. It is not just children who are affected by such drivers, or to widen the net, "psychopaths" in inappropriate jobs. Whether it is teachers who physically and mentally abuse children or sexual predators in the guise of sweepers, we have been much too lenient with such deviants.

I also know that corporate transport divisions that have abusive drivers are very reluctant to remove them, and even when they do, they do not place a negative remark on his character/personality profile. This driver is then free to go to another job and continue with his behaviour without any restrictions; all because we are not a socially responsible society - "why create problems for ourselves, and be in the bad books of the driver?"

Unfortunately, for all the "tech" within the buses, nothing is going to stop a psychopath from continuing to behave in a negative manner. After a while, as is "common" with such measures (or should I say "chalta hai" attitude), many of these gadgets will fail due to lack of maintenance, and that too just when these are really required. Beware!

May be "driverless" is the answer!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 10:14   #9
BHPian

These regulations on school buses are good and all,but what about the autorickshaws and the vans?
A huge chunk of the school going children go by autos and vans.Most of them are in really bad shape and are usually overloaded?
Abhishek3001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 11:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
May be "driverless" is the answer!
Unfortunately with our Indian rad manners, I don't think any driverless tech is going to work here for a long time to come. But that is another discussion.
VellVector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2017, 13:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is a very good move. I hope more such rules are made for school bus travel to make it even more safer.

Quote:
School bus may not be used in an emergency situation, but emergency situation may arise irrespective of if it is a school bus or cycle. I'm speaking about an unexpected emergency during travel.
Can you give an example of any such emergency? I can not think of any .
Old 26th February 2017, 15:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very good move in my opinion, there are way too many school buses on the road driving like maniacs. I am seriously of the opinion if a school bus driver is caught driving recklessly, he should be imprisoned for endangering children.

There were already some schools implementing tracking and stringent rules for their drivers and it was seen on the road.

I hope not, the bus guys would just use it all the time. Why should a school bus be used in an emergency situation? It isn't an emergency vehicle.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
This is a very good move. I hope more such rules are made for school bus travel to make it even more safer.

Can you give an example of any such emergency? I can not think of any .
Regarding drivers of school buses - a criminal background check should be made a must, alongwith additional tests w.r.t defensive driving.

Regarding the probability of requiring to drive a school bus fast - only thing that comes to my mind is a medical emergency.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 11:40   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post

Can you give an example of any such emergency? I can not think of any.
The location of a lot of CBSE schools entails these buses to travel on state highways which have oncoming traffic as well. Being able to quickly overtake extremely slow moving tractors, carts etc can be vital.

This speed limit could ruin the entire schedule of everyone involved including parents. I am of course talking about specific scenarios here. I know of schools where buses travel more than 30-40KMs picking up kids from different villages. They will simply not comply because all the stake holders will be inconvenienced.

Not taking any sides here, just stating a fact. It's a good move, and should in fact take things a step forward by somehow involving the parents to ensure these are implemented by schools. More importantly, maintained in the long run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks