Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2004, 15:23   #1
Senior - BHPian

Modifying the exhausts of commercial vehicles

fellas,

this just struck me.

the trucks and buses here have their exhausts on the right side spewing out dark , black and poisonous gases.

now why doesnt the govt. or the RTA make it compulsory for the trucks and buses to have their exhausts pointing towards the sky...ala trucks abroad ??

this will atleast not pollute the air below the truck height , allowing the 2 wheelers and people travelling in the autos and taxi to breathe free

this can very easily be done here ..just a small change in the way the exhaust is designed !!

what say ?

cheers
Old 2nd September 2004, 15:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

Yea, I've been thinking that same thing for years now. Maybe Tata likes to kill all those who don't drive their trucks! But seriously, TATA especially should be more conscious of this problem and should do something about it without any regulations forcing them! They should be a lot more socially responsible.

As far as buses go, its not practical for their exhaust to be routed up. But, instead of the side exhaust, I would prefer the exhaust at the rear. It really sucks sitting on your bike at a traffic light with a truck spewing out black smoke directly into your face.

Just add this to the huge pile of simple idea's not incoporated by our infamous regulatory body.

Rt
Old 2nd September 2004, 18:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey yeah......this i was wondering for a really long time! It doesn't sound that costly or complex procedure.....why don't they do such a thing??
Old 6th July 2009, 14:00   #4
BHPian

Exhaust pipe of Amby Sumo cars

Ambassador, Mahindra van and Sumo have their exhaust pipe in their 'rear left'.
Owners should change them to 'rear right' so that two wheeler riders behind are not toxicated.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

May be they wont do it because of the extra cost involved for the longer exhaust pipe needed?

On a second thought, where can it be placed in trucks like the TATA 1210? Above the driver's cabin? We have people travelling on the goods platform of trucks here in India! Don't you think they'll complain? It will be an easy job to implement this in a rear engined bus though.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th July 2009 at 14:21.
Old 6th July 2009, 14:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Ambassador, Mahindra van and Sumo have their exhaust pipe in their 'rear left'.
Owners should change them to 'rear right' so that two wheeler riders behind are not toxicated.
Can you please explain how "rear right" is better/any different than "rear left" ?

Maybe you're saying this because two wheelers tend to overtake cars from the left side.

Last I checked - overtaking from the left is illegal and is a bigger health hazard than the exhausts will ever be.
Old 6th July 2009, 18:07   #7
BHPian

Considering the three wheelers health "rear left" exhaust is ideal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks