Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 00:21   #256
BHPian

Re: Indian Civil Aviation

Posting in here because it would be morbid to bump the original 9/11 thread.

Perhaps the aviation buffs will find this interesting. I found it fascinating.

Its truly astounding that someone who was there on that day found a direct evidence of the disaster, held on to it for 22 years and posted it on the interwebs asking for identification.

And within hours people identified it correctly as a Pratt and Whitney engine vane from one of the ill fated planes and even found the part right down to the serial number. The mind truly boggles.

https://reddit.com/r/whatisit/s/5UR7zLWv4A

It's a piece of history and a sad reminder of a watershed moment that changed pretty much the entire world that day on.
digitalnirvana is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 21:48   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Nepal airlines selling Chinese airliners at scrap value

Quote:
Nepal Airlines is planning to sell off its Chinese planes that have been like an albatross around its neck for what an insider said is junkyard price.

Acquired between 2014 and 2018, the six aircraft were worth Rs6.66 billion in grants and loans. One of the planes has since crashed. The national flag carrier is asking Rs220 million for the remaining five aircraft in an apparent effort to get rid of them as fast as possible.

Nepal Airlines officials say the grounded planes—two 56-seater MA60 and three 17-seater Y12e—have been more trouble than they are worth.

The Chinese-made aircraft had turned into “the most expensive white elephants in the carrier's history” right after they arrived, officials said. They doubt anybody will buy them.
https://kathmandupost.com/money/2023...junkyard-price

MA60 - a reverse engineered Antonov An-26
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Civil Aviation-nepal-airlines-ma60.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 22:38   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like these planes are currently at Kathmandu. Would they be able to scrap them on side? Or do they need to be moved? These are probably not airworthy anymore and they might not even get a temporary license to be moved.

It’s gonna get expensive to scrap them to.

I was surprised to see the surveyor report only cost USD 20000. I would not think you can get much inspection and surveying done for that? No idea really, but just a gut feeling knowing what a typical survey of other vehicles cost.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 08:05   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^^^
In my time I dealt, or attempted to, with Nepal Airlines and their local regulatory authority. Incompetence, disorganization and rank corruption non-stop were what characterized them. So, we withdrew even though we had an excellent local partner. I'm not surprised at this mess. Same was our experience with Bangladesh. Interestingly Myanmar was completely clean and professional and a delight to work with! - this was before the current military regime.
V.Narayan is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks