Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 12:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

R.I.P. Eicher Polaris Multix

Eicher Motors and US-based Polaris Industries have decided to end their joint venture (JV) and shut down the operations of Eicher Polaris Private Limited (EPPL) with immediate effect. The decision was taken during a board meeting held on March 9, 2018.

R.I.P. Eicher Polaris Multix-multix.jpg

Eicher Polaris Private Limited was incorporated in October 2012. The Multix personal utility vehicle, which was launched in June 2015, was the company's first offering. It has now been discontinued. However, the company will continue to provide spares and service support to all Multix owners.

According to the company, the Multix had received a positive response from customers initially. However, subsequently, sales of the vehicle slowed down. As a result, by the end of FY 2016-17, EPPL had incurred a net loss of Rs. 91.83 crore. 50% of the net loss was consolidated with the Profit After Tax of Eicher Motor Limited, which had invested Rs. 289.50 crore in EPPL.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 13th March 2018 at 12:24.
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 13:23   #2
BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Eicher Polaris Multix

Wasn't this Dead on arrival? The mutated looks would never ever please anyone and in the whole of Coimbatore, the place where I come from have seen only one or two. No wonder it's not seeing any nos.
Old 13th March 2018, 14:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

With that 500cc single cylinder diesel engine I am surprised that it survived this long. A glorified road legal side by side with a wimpy engine.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 07:54   #4
BANNED

I test drove it three times before buying Figo 1.5D BASE. What made me do the test drive again and again was the stunning suspension that completely soaked up potholes that were more than 8inch deep.

The engine lost speed when starting to climb the flyovers at 50kmph and dropped to below 40kmph inspite of full throttle.

The noise was so high that It made me feel dizzy like a toddler on govt bus.

The only flaw was the guy who chose the engine.I don't have forum worthy words for him.

Every thing else was great!

Sad that they didn't upgrade the engine at the earliest. Had they been serious about it they would have averted the disaster.
COMMUTER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wasn't it strange that this vehicle was not available under commercial RTO registration? Ok, It was called Personal Utility Vehicle but "Personal " or "Private" tag doesn't suit with an odd-looking vehicle like this. Nowadays, commercial vehicles like Mahinda Supro or Tata ace are mature and competent products. How could an odd-looking, so-called Personal Utility vehicle survive? RIP Multix !
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually disappointed that a CV flopped. After looking at Aditya's report (link), I thought it was an incredibly innovative product, and one which a small businessman from smaller towns could use as his personal cum work vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
What made me do the test drive again and again was the stunning suspension that completely soaked up potholes that were more than 8inch deep.
It had something most 15 lakh cars don't = independent suspension at all 4 ends .

Quote:
The engine lost speed when starting to climb the flyovers at 50kmph and dropped to below 40kmph inspite of full throttle.
Did you drive the original version or the later one where power was bumped up by 30%. Admittedly, 13 BHP isn't much, but it's on par with what its competitors offer.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 10:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Wasn't it strange that this vehicle was not available under commercial RTO registration? Ok, It was called Personal Utility Vehicle but "Personal " or "Private" tag doesn't suit with an odd-looking vehicle like this. How could an odd-looking, so-called Personal Utility vehicle survive? RIP Multix !
Right. At this price point, Multix had to compete with Maruti Alto 800 in the rural markets. And yes, Alto 800 or a pre-owned older Alto doubles up as a load carrier too. The only advantage Multix had over its chief competitor is a fuel efficient diesel engine.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2018, 18:15   #8
BHPian

I wish someone made an electric version of this platform. It has great suspension and the engine seems to be the weak link. If this is replaced by an electric motor, it could make an interesting vehicle imho.
spd_tkt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 19:01   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Did you drive the original version or the later one where power was bumped up by 30%. Admittedly, 13 BHP isn't much, but it's on par with what its competitors offer.
I drove the original one. I chased down a test drive vehicle, intercepted that at a signal and got their location.I test drove it within a week of its launch. I remember the engine displacing just 511cc. As GTO has mentioned, it had been upgraded to 650cc. This should have made a considerable difference.

They called me a few months after my final test drive to say that the issue of NVH has been mitigated but they didn't mention the engine upgrade. I had bought the Figo by then and wasn't interested in another test drive.

The dealer at Madurai is a member of this forum. I wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 19th March 2018 at 19:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks