Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 14:46   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold

Full Wired.com Article

Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold-final2airbuszodiacmodulemockup.jpg

Quote:
Last week at the Aircraft Interiors Expo in Hamburg, economy fliers got a bit of good, if not quite glamorous, news. One of the world's largest plane builders, Airbus, and cabin builder Zodiac Aerospace are going to start building beds for hire. Full-size, lay-out-flat beds—no business or first-class ticket required.

In an environment as cramped as a plane cabin, Zodiac's designers had to go downstairs, into the cargo hold, to find extra space. Airlines buying certain planes from Airbus will soon be able to order new “passenger modules,” the exact size and shape of a cargo container. They can slot them into the belly of large planes, just like they load your luggage, in a large metal bin. They can also pull them out again for shorter flights or when they need more cargo space.

Inside, these modules look like a cross between an old fashioned sleeper train and an upscale, minimalist hostel. The surfaces are all finished in glossy white, with subtle lighting along the ceiling and floor. It looks like curtains could be added for privacy. This place isn't for the claustrophobic: There are no windows, and the beds are narrow and stacked two high.

During a flight, fliers could rent a bunk, presumably for less than the price of a lie-flat business-class seat, and get some proper rest. On very long flights of 12 hours or more, airlines could rent them for half a flight, change the bedding, and then give someone else a chance.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:11   #2
BANNED

Re: Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold

Reminds me of Japan's tube hotels or our local sleeper buses.

Going deeper, the article says they've used the cargo holds, which means that most aircraft have always had surplus cargo space which was not used till date for cargo or passenger purposes, which in itself is surprising in this cutthroat market.

Lastly, wouldn't it be easier for the airline to provide 180 deg seats across classes than this arrangement which will require additional housekeeping, alterations, safety regulations and real estate?
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Novel idea, this can be slotted in between Business and First.

Among several other, the biggest hurdle I see is the very stringent certification requirement of achieving total evacuation everyone in 90 sec.

This also means freeing up space reserved for cargo; so, airlines would have to find a way that these beds generate more revenue than cargo. Interesting innovations ahead indeed!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 15:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
this arrangement which will require additional housekeeping, alterations, safety regulations and real estate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Among several other, the biggest hurdle I see is the very stringent certification requirement of achieving total evacuation everyone in 90 sec.
These are beds for hire (rent). It is very likely that passengers will NOT allowed to sleep here during take-offs and landings.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
These are beds for hire (rent). It is very likely that passengers will NOT allowed to sleep here during take-offs and landings.
IIRC, Boeing used to offer this as a factory option on their 747-8, but between the space between the upper deck and the tail section. It wasn't much popular with the airlines and they preferred to have they galley area instead here.

Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold-b7478i.jpg

Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold-8628045044fccf86d844e3ae3c2177767f2254hallway.jpeg

Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold-120905043826renderinggreenpointaerolofthorizontallargegallery.jpg

From wikipedia
Quote:
During the initial 747-8 marketing phase, Boeing also proposed creating a revenue-generating "SkyLoft" passenger facility in the crown space above the cabin. This facility would include "SkySuites", small individual compartments with sliding doors or curtains, featuring beds, seating, and entertainment or business equipment. A common lounge area could also be provided. Boeing also proposed smaller, more modest "SkyBunks". Access to the crown area would be via a separate stairway at the rear of the aircraft. Passengers using the SkySuites, sold at a premium price, would sit in regular economy class seats for take-off and landing, and move to the crown area during flight. However, pricing feasibility studies found the SkyLoft concept difficult to justify. In 2007, Boeing dropped the SkyLoft concept in favor of upper-deck galley storage options, which were favored by the airlines. Outfitting the crown space for sleeping remains an option on VIP aircraft, and the first 747-8 BBJ with AeroLoft was produced in 2012
Also, I think the Luftansa A340-600 aircraft came with below deck lavatories to free up more space on on the main deck for passengers. I'm surprised operators would even consider this; reason being the precious cargo volume being lost. I was under the impression that while passenger tickets barely break even on major commercial airlines, the cargo is what brings in the profits.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2018 at 17:44. Reason: Typo - Boing! ;)
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:28   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Very interesting. In around 1983 McDonnell Douglas had experimented with the same idea for their then to be introduced MD-11. The FAA objected on two counts - (i) the passengers sleeping below cannot be there when landing or taking off and should be seated on the main deck; and (ii) as Libranof1987 rightly pointed - please demonstrate the evacuation in an emergency in XX seconds. Those days the airlines didn't bite - it was a little early as the first 'business class' had only been introduced in 1971 by BOAC and even all airlines had not created a business class by then and even first class on most was not 180 degree flat bed.

Zodiac and Airbus may find value this time as what is non-stop has increased from about 6 to 10 hours in 1983 to up to 17 hours today. It may make sense only on an the big wide bodies such as A380 or A350 where it is possible that on certain sections the cargo hold is not full. Boeing expect air cargo to grow at 4.7% CAGR worldwide over the coming 20 years compared to 3.9% CAGR in the 5 years ended 2016. 2017 growth was ~9%+ the highest I'm told since 2001. With all the hectic online shopping air cargo is set to go places. But I'm sure Airbus thought this through and I wait eagerly for an airline to adapt it. Two Economy seat upstairs and one berth downstairs shared in turn by wifey and me versus two business class tickets. As an older passenger I would be keen to know where the toilets are placed - are there some on the same level or all one level up.

Two generations ago when the Lockheed Constellation and Douglas DC-6 really ushered in the era of long range flying a full fare paying passenger got a seat and a berth. Some budget conscious ones like me got only the seat. Air India's first international flight to London in 1948 carried 42 passengers most with a berth - the names of the skimpers has not been recorded. Then only the very richest could afford it but now we all can.

Lockheed Constellation 749, late 1940s.
Attached Thumbnails
Coming soon to Airbus planes - Sleeping bunks in the cargo hold-4086586535_0940a393b0_b.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 20th April 2018 at 16:55.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2018, 16:48   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome addition! My two personal gripes in long-distance flying: inability to sleep horizontal (I cannot sleep sitting), and inability to shower, have dampened all my flying experiences so far. Suffice to say, I will be looking for this feature in any next long-distance flight.
Old 20th April 2018, 19:40   #8

The idea is novel, especially the option for the airlines to add or remove these modules on specific routes based on demand and cargo economics.

I had seen a video from Air New Zealand where the airline demonstrated converting a row of three economy seats into a flatbed for two. I find the Air New Zealand proposal to be more viable vs the Airbus module one since the only incremental change to the existing fleet is updated seats.

Video:
Ketz is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks