Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 10:42   #16
BHPian

Re: Delhi Airport to get TaxiBots

Experts can clarify. While bots might save fuel would engines have enough time to reach optimum temperature before being spooled up for take off if they are going to be switched on just before reaching the runway? Also, lets say during engine start up if there are any issues wouldn't it be better if they are found before taxiing to runway and not delaying flights behind instead of finding it in the line towards takeoff. I agree bots can save fuel on a flight which has landed and is exited a runway to taxi.

I seem to remember Virgin wanting to use similar bots but being turned down by CAA in UK. Not sure if there is any difference in implementation
Old 1st February 2019, 13:09   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
For the experts, can these operate under CAT III (B/C) or are these strictly 'VFR' weather vehicles?
You are using terms that are not related to ground operations. Ground, taxi and take off weather conditions have their own rules and they differ somewhat from landing and flying weather conditions.

An extreme case, under FAA rules I can take off in my little Cessna C150, at zero visibility. It would be pretty stupid, but it would be within legal limits.

I am not that familiar with the formal ground and taxi regimes for commercial liners. But the taxiBot is under direct control from the pilot. So I assume it does not make a difference. If you can or are allowed to taxi under your own power, you could do so with the aid of a taxiBot too I presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Experts can clarify. While bots might save fuel would engines have enough time to reach optimum temperature before being spooled up for take off if they are going to be switched on just before reaching the runway? Also, lets say during engine start up if there are any issues wouldn't it be better if they are found before taxiing to runway and not delaying flights behind instead of finding it in the line towards takeoff. I agree bots can save fuel on a flight which has landed and is exited a runway to taxi.
This is really the cool thing about jet engines. You start and almost immediately you can go to 100% power. There is very little warming up time if any. It is one of the reasons they are used to power back up / peak load generators. I have used them in the offshore where they where used to power massive fire monitors. Push a button, they spool up and within seconds you throttle up to 100% load. Not a problem.

Finding issues as you power up your engines, does happen. But not that frequently to present huge problems. To some extent this can be mitigated. It is really down to how far you allow the TaxiBot to take the aircraft. All the way down a single taxi line to the beginning of the runway. Or to the beginning where in case of problems, the aircraft could still be parked and others can navigate around it.

I would be interested to hear from real pilots how this works in practice. It says the pilot is in full control and no modifications to the aircraft. Not sure how the pilot controls the TaxiBot? Do they use The Force?

Jeroen
Old 14th July 2023, 12:42   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The 4th runway at Delhi airport 29R and 11L has gone operational now and also the 2 elevated taxiways. With this, this is the only airport in India with 4 operational runways. The elevated taxiways reduce the distance between runways 11/29 R & L and the terminal 1 from 9 kms to just 2 kms thereby saving fuel and time.

Delhi Airport to get TaxiBots-20230714_114648.jpg

Source

Last edited by BoneCollector : 14th July 2023 at 12:43.
BoneCollector is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks