Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 12:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach

Finally a built which I thought would never happen in India.

Exterior:
Proper sheet metals aligned to each other from start to end.
Excellent paint job.
No excessive accessories, chrome. Looks like a factory build from OEM.

Interior:
Proper berths. Seems this can actually extend the comfort of OEM suspension and built to the passenger. Local coach builders actually kill this by installing after market seats and berths. Volvo/Scania/M-Des then remain only for speed and logo. Difference in comfort level almost diminishes by doing this
Handles, grab rails seems sturdy and long lasting.
Entire cabin seems airy and unlike the current fleets in the market.
Proper emergency door.

Cruise control seems missing from steering. Have seen many drivers using this on highways.

Overall an exceptionally superb built.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:04   #17
BHPian

I visited the exhibition on 31st August.
While I agree that MG has done a commendable job, I have a few reservations in ergonomic design of the bus.

I have attached the picture of the side railing,which prevents the passenger from falling. It is a weak design which flexes by hand easily. I am sceptical about the kind of lateral force it can withstand while cornering at respectable speeds. I have travelled extensively in these sleepers and this railing is the thing i cling on to while trying to sleep

The upper part of the ladder also flexes easily while climbing. This is also a very weak design IMHO.

The bottle holder is a collapsible type, made of hard plastic. The placement is near the feet. It is very difficult to get up fully and take out the bottle of the holder, drink and keep the bottle back in a moving vehicle. There is also a safety issue, as the holder may break due to leg impact, and sharp edges may cause injury to the passenger.

The air-vent and light console fitted on roof, looks very good, just like an aircraft's. But IMHO, the plastic used are of substandard quality with a certain hollow feel. IMO, it will start to rattle in a month of operations.

I feel that only dressing up a flashy product doesn't work in the harsh transport business, which not only has bad roads, but also erratic passengers. The design should be such that it will take all the intentional and unintentional abuse in its stride and perform to its expectations.

Cheers,
AB
Attached Thumbnails
Dreamz: A Sleeper Coach built by MG Bus & Coach-img_20180831_115144429.jpg  

coriollis is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 17:03   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Nice report there Bins.

I don't understand this trend - increasing the number of headlights. It's a pain to drive on the highway when you have these buses and trucks with some 3-4 pairs of lights.
I can bet my right hand in predicting that atleast some of the customers will drill holes and fit extra lights in addition (either when 1 out of any of the projectors go kaput and dont want to spend money replacing it, or because some drivers need atleast 10 lights in total)
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 01:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Nice report there Bins.

I don't understand this trend - increasing the number of headlights. It's a pain to drive on the highway when you have these buses and trucks with some 3-4 pairs of lights.

Wasn't it puzhekadavil (Are they Kallada now?) who introduced Volvo in Kerala?
Yes, Puzhekadavil was the first operator to introduce Volvo 1 gen busses on the Bangalore Kerala route. They had quite a number of them. I presume the company went belly up and the services stopped. Their busses were parked for a very long time at the Volvo service center in E'tronic city.
Old 6th September 2018, 19:51   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The REAL beast of the Green Hell !

I can only imagine the road presence this vehicle shall command, especially in this shade.

Dear Mods, please remove this post if comment is not of significant value.
Old 6th September 2018, 22:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
I visited the exhibition on 31st August.
While I agree that MG has done a commendable job, I have a few reservations in ergonomic design of the bus.

I have attached the picture of the side railing,which prevents the passenger from falling. It is a weak design which flexes by hand easily. I am sceptical about the kind of lateral force it can withstand while cornering at respectable speeds. I have travelled extensively in these sleepers and this railing is the thing i cling on to while trying to sleep

The upper part of the ladder also flexes easily while climbing. This is also a very weak design IMHO.
Nice findings. All the fittings you have commented on are purposely kept soft in order to minimise injury to the passenger in the event of an accident. A hard steel retainer/ladder would add to the passengers injury during an accident. I've never had to cling on to the railing anytime I traveled in a sleeper - because those drivers probably knew how to drive a sleeper.
binaiks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 14:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Nice findings. All the fittings you have commented on are purposely kept soft in order to minimise injury to the passenger in the event of an accident. A hard steel retainer/ladder would add to the passengers injury during an accident. I've never had to cling on to the railing anytime I traveled in a sleeper - because those drivers probably knew how to drive a sleeper.

Hi Binai,
Fittings kept soft purposefully and those being sturdy are two completely different things IMHO. If the ladder needs to be Sturdy and Safe, it should be designed that way only... Period!
Noted, that the intentions are noble, but will it serve the purpose? Time will only tell. I commented only because of my humble experience of 18 years in this type of industry. May be this is the case because I'm of the old school design thought process of 'Function over Form'.

And you are very very lucky to travel with experienced drivers.. Good for you and keep travelling. Keep writing. Love your blog very much.
Cheers,
AB
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 09:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Hi Binai,
Fittings kept soft purposefully and those being sturdy are two completely different things IMHO. If the ladder needs to be Sturdy and Safe, it should be designed that way only... Period!
I do not subscribe to the school that soft can't be sturdy. The ladders provided in the bus are made for a purpose that is served very well.
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 22:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I do not subscribe to the school that soft can't be sturdy. The ladders provided in the bus are made for a purpose that is served very well.
That was my whole point. I only said it the other way around. And time will only tell if the design survives or not.
I sincerely wish success to the product nonetheless.
Cheers.

AB

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks