Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 19:46   #1
Team-BHP Support

Fly Blade, "Uber for Helicopters" set to launch in Mumbai

Sounds like a pretty good idea! In today's India with a sizeable population of the uber rich, this service can have signification potential.

Not that it is going to be a cakewalk considering India's lack of a strong helicopter network or infrastructure. Also, this company plans to be just a platform to connect service providers with customers, not owning the helicopters so that can bring about its own challenges in terms of service continuity guarantee.

I just hope they adhere to the same standards of safety and service as their parent US company and the aviation industry.

Quote:
Come March, booking a seat on a helicopter will be just a tap of an app away. Fly Blade, the largest arranger of helicopters for civilian travel in the US, is starting its helicopter services in the country through a joint venture with local venture capital firm Hunch Ventures.

The new company, Blade India, will offer intercity helicopter services, though it will be initially available only in Mumbai. Flights would depart from Juhu and Mahalaxmi, connecting with heliports in Pune and Shirdi. It aims to eventually offer services on intracity routes
https://www.livemint.com/Companies/u...rom-Mumba.html
libranof1987 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Fly Blade, "Uber for Helicopters" set to launch in Mumbai

Yaaay! So will my commutes become more fun now? Can the Bombay folks respond? I usually stay a 5 min walk from the Sakinaka metro station. I have to go to offices in Kanjurmarg W, a bit of Fort, Colaba, Worli, Bandra W and Andheri E. Currently i use a combination of walking, metro and cabs. I have yet to try the famous local trains which i hear are not for the faint of heart?!
Edit: Just finished reading the article, looks like no respite as yet.

Last edited by N33raj : 6th December 2018 at 14:36.
Old 6th December 2018, 19:51   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. However, when you read the article, an expert does make a few good points.

Helicopters are very finicky machines, requiring a lot of attention, mainitenance, spare parts etc. Flying them in Instrument Conditions is not for the faint hearted.

Not sure how that is in India from a regulatory point of view.

But it takes more than just renting or leasing a chopper to make this successful. One additional thought, although it sounds very cool, being picked up by a chopper, in practice chopper rides can be pretty uncomfortable, certainly compared to modern commercial jet liners. They vibrate, shake and are noisy.

But I guess anything beats sitting in Indian traffic

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:37   #4
BHPian

Being from Helicopter industry, am really exited to see this happening.

There is already HeliTaxi operated by Thumbi Aviation from Bangalore Airport to Electronic City, working from almost the past 1 year.

Helicopters need more maintenance, because of all the vibrations and violent forces the aircraft is subject to compared to fixed wing aircraft. Most of these have hourly DOC from $300 - $600 or more not including pilot fees and fuel. So, it will be interesting to see the business model these companies operate in.

It's high time we have increase in demand from India. Working for a major OEM, I get surprised by how much less sales we have in India compared to countries like Brazil,China and Mexico. Pilgrimage and city commute are the best options, apart from VIP charter.

Importance needs to be placed to safety as well , just to make sure there are no negative perceptions created. As traffic increases sound is another challenge, in developed countries there is already a push back from community.
Avenger_123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 18:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Looks like this has taken off. Saw Biswa Kalyan Rath's post on Instagram about his Mumbai - Pune trip.

Quote:
The inaugural fares between Mumbai-Pune start at Rs19,900, Mumbai-Shirdi from Rs21,900 and Pune-Shirdi Rs18,900, exclusive of GST. The service will be operational six days a week, from Monday to Saturday.

The first flight is expected to take off on 22 November. The Airbus H130 helicopter will cover the distance from Mumbai to Pune in approximately 42 mins. The chopper form Mumbai to Pune departs at 4:15pm, Pune to Mumbai at 7:15am, Shirdi to Mumbai at 3:30pm, Mumbai to Shirdi at 8:15am, Shirdi to Pune at 12:15pm and Pune to Shirdi at 1:35pm.
https://www.cntraveller.in/story/mum...hedule-timing/
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2019, 19:34   #6
BHPian

Looks like the Blade chopper is leased from Sanjay Ghodawat Group. The first picture on their site has the image of their co-branded chopper.

Last edited by lionell : 1st December 2019 at 19:34. Reason: additions

Most Viewed