Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2019, 14:33   #16
BHPian

Re: My 1st Gulfstream - A newbie details the buying experience of his private jet

Superb article, particularly for us mere mortals who will not be in the rarefied air doing similar deals in their lifetime (I know I wouldn't be!). Great perspective too as it made the billionaire seem so much more human with his bullshit detector and initial unwillingness to plonk down so much money for a plane.
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 15:01   #17
BHPian

Re: My 1st Gulfstream - A newbie details the buying experience of his private jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
A question that's always been on my mind : for a person considering buying a private jet - instead of buying and maintaining one - does flying business class 100% of the time on a regular airliner make more sense?

I've seen the business class cabin on the newer aircraft like the A380s and it blows my mind on seeing the luxury and space on offer.

I remember reading somewhere that having a private jet means no queues at the airport, customs clearance can be done in the plane itself after landing etc - are these timesavers the real reason the top tier elites prefer them? Or are they just a spending statement to announce to the world that they have "arrived"?
You have answered all your questions yourself, all are correct
Old 21st January 2019, 15:09   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

The flexibility a private jet gives over commercial flights is unparalleled.

To be true, some of todays commercial jets might even offer more comfort than some of the typical business jets. I have flown first class on Lufthansa A380 and nothing I have seen on business jets comes even close in terms of space.

Another factor could be security. Some companies do not allow their CEO and other top executives to fly commercial for security reasons.

These days in Europe and to a lesser extent the USA, "company jets" are coming under more and more scrutiny. The general public just doesn't buy into the fact that anybody is that important.

Buying a business jet from your own money and using it for your business and private travels is something different though from a company jet.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 16:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
A question that's always been on my mind : for a person considering buying a private jet - instead of buying and maintaining one - does flying business class 100% of the time on a regular airliner make more sense?

I've seen the business class cabin on the newer aircraft like the A380s and it blows my mind on seeing the luxury and space on offer.

I remember reading somewhere that having a private jet means no queues at the airport, customs clearance can be done in the plane itself after landing etc - are these timesavers the real reason the top tier elites prefer them? Or are they just a spending statement to announce to the world that they have "arrived"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
IMO, the bigger problem is that commercials fly on a schedule. And you cant just take off once your work is wrapped up.
And in a country such as US, at times they may want to reach smaller places with smaller air-strips or runways. With private jets, they can directly fly there rather than take a connecting flight as per the schedule and with a lay-over.

But like you would have guessed by now, justifying the purchase of the jet is simply based on how you look at it. The same coin again has two sides here as well
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 17:54   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Another factor could be security. Some companies do not allow their CEO and other top executives to fly commercial for security reasons.

These days in Europe and to a lesser extent the USA, "company jets" are coming under more and more scrutiny. The general public just doesn't buy into the fact that anybody is that important.
I believe businessmen are up to shady and dubious things at times no ?

I recently read a report about how an Argentinian drug smuggler hauled $34 million worth of cocaine from Argentina -> Cape Verde -> Spain.

They were arrested at Spain.

There was some famous American businessman who smuggled gold bars in a Gulfstream once.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th January 2019 at 10:50. Reason: Minor formatting
Old 21st January 2019, 18:05   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
I believe businessmen are up to shady and dubious things at times no ?
Unfortunately, all sorts of people, not just business people are involved in shady, dubious things. Some car people too. Remember John DeLorean

But owning a private jet does not necessarily mean you are involved in shady/dubious things either.

In fact I like to think most people are not involved in shady/dubious things at all. Whether they own or do not own a plane, a yacht, a car, a bike, or anything does not matter. The ones that do, with or without a private jet, are still the exception, not the norm.

Jeroen

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th January 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Minor formatting
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 19:02   #22
BHPian

Wow, such a beautifully constructed experience.

He has made it look much lighter/easier than actual process in the way it has been penned downed for the reading audience & has yet managed to include everything astronomical to give a first hand account.

And it also subtly throws some light on dichotomy's of life irrespective of your financial or social status; to be or not to be, to do or not to do, so on & so forth
yogeshsom29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 22:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:

The major problem with flying in commercial plane is you need to spend lot of time in Airport like security checks, unwarranted delays, wait for connection flights etc etc. Also people needs to be connected all the time in meetings and there are security requirements for peoples on what needs to be discussed in public and what not. Imagine if you are discussing a bidding for new project in a business class lounge in Airport and someone from competitor is sitting next near to you. There are industrial espionage's who are looking for even a small bit of data about competitor's products and services which might result in several million losses for one and gain for other.

When your time is worth more than gold, you need to spend in these planes. I agree that few millionaires are keeping this as a show piece.
hema4saran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 04:52   #24
BANNED

I have a strange twist when I read this interesting article. It made me sad when this article reminded me of the saying which points out that we can have only two out of three among time, money and energy. It just appears like this luxury is for the folks who have all the money but could never dream of the time to enjoy even a fraction of it.

But this follows the same reasoning as to why I avoid taking the public transport and spend on the car.

It's great to be having this money but it looks like having a lot of money comes at a cost too. Do I envy him? Yes. But why am I rambling about being sad about this? Because I feel that for all the money he has he can't choose to have any other mode of transport to cover the distance.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 22nd January 2019 at 05:01.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 09:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Owners of private jets aren't necessarily shady / dubious.

Here's a good act done by a private jet owner just 10 hours ago by someone who isn't exactly shady or dubious and is rather well known for the right reasons:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/pink-...ildren-2437167

On another note there is no comparison between the business class of an A 380 and a private jet. It's chalk and cheese. All my official travel is on business class, most of it on the A380 and on occasion, travel first class too.

The business class on the A 380 does not have exclusivity - almost the entire top deck is business and the number of people that are on board reduce from any feeling of exclusivity whether in the airport lounge, or the in-flight bar or queues for boarding etc. Yes, you have a small cubicle to yourself, but that's it.

A private jet on the other hand gives you the liberty to fly out when you want, avoid boarding queues, decide on your inflight cuisine (first gives you that to some extent), decide on how many co passengers you can have etc. Most of these facilities mean a lot to those who can afford a private jet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks