Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2019, 23:34   #1
BHPian

Multiple runway incidents due to the rains

Cause for concern?

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...496-2019-07-02.

There are some social media posts floating around complaining that the Spice Jet evacuation at Mumbai was not well handled.

Air India Express incident at Kozhikode appears to be minor if FR 24 data is to be believed as the aircraft involved operated its next flight with a 3 hour delay.
TKMCE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 09:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Multiple runway incidents due to the rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
There are some social media posts floating around complaining that the Spice Jet evacuation at Mumbai was not well handled.

Air India Express incident at Kozhikode appears to be minor if FR 24 data is to be believed as the aircraft involved operated its next flight with a 3 hour delay.
The SpiceJet aircraft evacuation is still a work in progress it seems. As I saw the aircrafts still landing on the secondary runway of the Mumbai airport @ 0730 IST today.

Also, the pilots have been suspended.

Definitely concerning but good to see DGCA taking measures.
Old 5th July 2019, 11:21   #3
BHPian

With so many incidents in India during the heavy rains only one word comes to my head i.e. Maintenance. A runway has to be maintained during the rains, this includes a quick water drainage system . According to the International Civil Aviation Organization if there >3mm water on the runway it is to be declared closed as it is unsafe for any aircraft to operate. During monsoons runway requires more maintenance in terms of cleaning (removing of debris which is from the tyres).

Mumbai Airport has two runways but having only one main runway puts immense pressure on the maintenance crew and guys at the ATC. Main runway down leads to lesser flights landing/taking off = lesser revenue. Do note also that the two runways are intersecting so one can't simply shut one runway without compromising some operations of the second runway.

Regarding the incidents I follow VLOG's of Flying Beast on Youtube, Kindly watch as he can explain it better than me

Last edited by Y@SH : 5th July 2019 at 11:27.
Old 6th July 2019, 23:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
The probable cause of incident is "Un-stabilised approach due to improper handling of controls ie. Inadvertent pressing of GA button and movement of throttle below fight idle resulting in heavy landing and subsequent tail strike"
The above quote is from an AAIB (Aircraft Accident Investigation Board) report on an incident to a SpiceJet Q400 flight from Jabalpur to Delhi on 08/11/2017.

Can any of the experts confirm whether this is professional airmanship?

The Commander had a total of just 470 hours as PIC and only 2786 hours total. The First Officer had only around 700 hours in the RH seat and 922 hour total flying experience. In all the break neck expansion these days by every airline, am I wrong in feeling that there are some very inexperienced folks flying us across airlines?

The full report is here in the DGCA website (fourth one from top in Incidents).

http://www.dgca.nic.in/aircraft/accrep-ind.htm

Last edited by TKMCE : 6th July 2019 at 23:07.
TKMCE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks