Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 11:01   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Going Off-topic ?

Quote:
benbsb29 : A further hint would be the Street Experiences section..
@PJBiju, let's discuss Volvo & safety related to Volvo's here in this thread. Not Kerala SRTC & kerala's roads.
Old 6th May 2014, 07:51   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Think Volvo Think Safety-Think again

This is not in India but worth to see how Volvo truck's brakes and safety-system works in conjunction with the driver's quick reaction.

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/05/vol...and-saves.html
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2014, 09:50   #78
Ram
Senior - BHPian

This is in the Krasnodar Krai (Krasnodar territory) in Russia.

Driving north on the M25 (Novorossiysk- Krasnodar highway) in the Krasnodar Krai. Krasnodar (Краснодар) is a city and admin. center of Krasnodar Krai (Krasnodar territory), on the river Kuban about 148 km NE of the port of Novorossiysk on the Black Sea.

The video vehicle halts at the Verkhnebakanskiy fork (Верхнебаканская развилка), 2 km before the town of Verkhnebakanskiy. The west road goes to the towns of Anapa (Ана́па), Temryuk (Темрю́к) and Port Kavkaz (Порт Кавказ) and the east road goes to Krymsk (Крымск), Abinsk (Аби́нск) and Krasnodar (Краснодар) itself.

GPS location: 44.828532N, 37.649194E
Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 09:00   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo inches closer to its safe-car target - Volvo had set a target of developing various safety tech by 2020, to ensure no one is fatally injured or killed when using a Volvo car.

Quote:
The carmaker has now developed a new safety feature that locates collision-free escape routes, helping the company take final steps towards realising its vision.
The four-year Non-Hit Car and Truck project will end in December. Its biggest achievement will be the development of the next-generation sensor fusion technologies that provide a seamless 360 degree view around a car.
The project has focused on developing new car technologies and improving existing ones in order to reduce accident risks for both, passenger cars and commercial vehicles.
Quote:
The 360 degree view is enhanced by a manoeuvre generator, a new safety feature that uses software to identify collision free escape routes in every traffic scenario. The system, which works by constantly analysing threats around the car, can even assist drivers with auto-braking and steering
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...et-390927.aspx
Old 15th October 2014, 13:11   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Volvo inches closer to its safe-car target
My good sir, Volvo cars is an entirely different company. This thread is to discuss the safety offered by Volvo buses
Old 15th October 2014, 13:26   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Volvo cars is an entirely different company. This thread is to discuss the safety offered by Volvo buses
I am aware, but core values of both are the same!
Old 5th November 2015, 16:51   #82

re: Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again!

That was a night mare for volvo, still scars in hearts of people.
It may be recalled here that on October 30, a private (bus (AP 02 TA 0963) was leased by Jabbar Travels, Bangalore, from Diwakar Road Lines, owned by former minister J C Diwakar Reddy) Volvo bus with 52 passengers on its way from Bangalore to Hyderabad caught fire at 5.10am after hitting a culvert. The accident occurred when the driver attempted to overtake a car killing 45 on board leaving seven injured including driver, conductor and five passengers. It happened on the NH 44 at Palem in Mahabubnagar. The entire buses with 45 passengers were brought to ashes within a half-an hour by the time an ambulance reached the spot.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/citi...cle2257105.ece
Attached Thumbnails
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again!-30_latest_bus_fire_1636204f.jpg  

Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again!-volvo_1652316g.jpg  

Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again!-hy10volvo_bus_mish_1647367f.jpg  

ravivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 20:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

While planning to travel by a Mercedes or a Volvo bus, most people consider the comfort (less fatigue) and shorter travel time they offer.

After deciding to travel by such bus, the next decision is about the bus operator. Here, almost everyone decides on the basis of convenient timing and the fare. Additionally, sometimes, the people consider the seat position.

During all this process, safety is not there in the mind of the passengers. Most of the passengers are optimistic and take safety for granted. They think that nothing wrong will happen to them; so safety is not the criterion.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 5th November 2015 at 20:32.
Old 5th November 2015, 21:52   #84
Senior - BHPian

Very unfortunate incident there. Just hope that the injured recover to good health. Condolences to who passed away.

No sorry. I simply don't agree with the title of the thread.

It isn't that volvo busses aren't safe. Neither I'm advocating that Volvo busses are safe either.
  • Poor road construction
  • Over worked drivers
  • Some illegal modifications by operators
  • Poor rescue services, especially at night
  • Speeding
  • Sometimes even drinking and driving
  • Fault of the other driver on the road
  • Overloaded busses affect braking distance. May not affect the vehicle too much
  • Typical Attitude of travel agencies for having some safety features: "Why should I have it, unless mandated by the law?"

I've seen many volvo busses to even 120 kmph at night. That's a recipe for disaster. One thing's for sure: Normal busses can't do insane speeds volvo busses achieve.

Note to mods: Please change the title of the thread.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 5th November 2015 at 21:55.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 17:24   #85
BHPian

Even the safest bus in these conditions will end up with the same fate. It is the error of the operator and the driver and not Volvo.
Old 8th November 2015, 12:25   #86
BHPian

Re: Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again!

I remember an instance when i along with 2 of my friends were traveling from Bangalore to Bidar for a friends wedding some 3 years back. We took Pavit travels Volvo seater for this journey

As you know to cross bangalore and hit the NH4, it takes over an hour. As we had stuffed our self with Jowar roti dinner before starting the journey, i dozed off before we reached nelamangala toll. As there are speed breakers just before the toll i was jolted out of my sleep. But due to huge rush of vehicles at the toll booth the bus wa moving slow and i slept off. I vaguely remember the hollywood movie "2012" was being played on the in-cabin entertainment system and there was lot of destruction happening in the movie.

I hear a loud glass breaking sound and assumed that the sound was from the movie. But when the bus stopped i was woken up by my friends and was told that the volvo's wind shield is broken!

Apparently the driver claimed that there was a stone which fell off a speeding truck while overtaking and crushed the wind shield.

Now instead of arranging the alternate bus, they choose to continue the journey and as the night progressed and the speed increased the side windows started coming unstuck due to the air pressure!

During on of the tea breaks, i asked the driver why didn't they replace the bus to which he informed that there were no standby bus available and they will have to drop us and take the bus to Hyderabad to get the bus repaired!

If this is how the private operators choose to use their volvo fleet no wonder they will end up with scrap metals
Old 8th November 2015, 22:12   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post

If this is how the private operators choose to use their volvo fleet no wonder they will end up with scrap metals

Nobody and I mean nobody in India with a fleet of heavy transport vehicle takes maintenance seriously.

BTW, I am a distant relative of a major interstate Volvo/Benz coach service in Central India. If you knew about the things they do, you'd probably have a heart attack. The kind of carelessness most management has is mind boggling.

And they don't really need to as they're all good friends with state officials on every route. It's a huge mafia most people are not aware of.

Once in a while you may have some decent to good operators but most will never take care properly as they don't want to hurt the overhead. Margins in this business are low and many barely make any money. Each and every one of them are stingy.
Old 8th November 2015, 22:43   #88
Senior - BHPian

I have been traveling a lot recently due to me shifting job to a different state and I agree with the member above.

Half the buses have one or the other warning message/tones coming off the dashboard. The only thing I believe the operators check these days if the tires are there, diesel in tank and the engine is running.

Heard people complaining that AC was not working in a Volvo bus for a journey that takes a minimum of 15 hours. How did they even try running that bus in the route is a mystery to me.

Every weekend when I travel, I am now only wishing for the bus to go in one piece rather than travel in comfort. The Chennai - Bangalore roads have gone to dogs as well.

Hebron, which I took last night, doesn't slow down for any of the bumps that are apparent on the roads after Vellore towards Krishnagiri. One can distinctly hear the suspension at work crashing through the potholes. I have prayed more in the bus than I did in a temple the whole of last year.
Old 9th November 2015, 13:40   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Half the buses have one or the other warning message/tones coming off the dashboard. The only thing I believe the operators check these days if the tires are there, diesel in tank and the engine is running.
I have seen all kinds of warning messages on even the BMTC buses as well as KSRTC Airavats. Right from simple overheating messages to Brake ECU failure messages. None of the drivers seem to give a damn and when I asked one of them they tell its like that on all buses so okay. Its plain horrible when such things happen and finally when the bus breaks down completely or such accidents happen, they carry a huge headline in the newspaper saying the the Bus is not safe. Its the maintenance that doesnt go well. As long as the bus runs, they will run it.

Its actually a dent for volvo as a brand or say any other brand due to the fault of the customers. Not sure if there is a way they can avoid it and ensure that they maintenance will be done at company standards. The mechanics used to spartan Tatas and ALs are not the right candidates to handle a Volvo or a Mercedes or in sometime Scanias. They dont even know how to fix the lighting switch and end up putting an additional household switch for this purpose.
Old 14th April 2016, 12:09   #90
BHPian

Re: I support Volvo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
And people couldn't escape because they thought that the bus didn't have an emergency exit. Infact, Volvo buses have fire extinguishers apart from emergency exits. Instead of blaming the operator for not informing the people about the exit arrangements, these "journalists" went on to criticise Volvo without confirming the facts. Anyway, the Indian media is highly biased towards some issues.
Salil you are spot-on in your analysis.

I recently travelled from Hubli to Bangalore in KSRTC operated ACC Volvo B9R and I must admit that KSRTC is incomparable to any other bus operator (both pvt and govt) I can recall, be it in vehicle maintenance or operations. Before commencement of the journey, the KSRTC crew prudently walked up to the passenger’s seat and informed them about the hammer location and the way it is supposed to be dislodged and operated in emergency situation i.e., how to hold it and where to hit etc. Indeed a rare case of responsible service, seen in India. No wonder why KSRTC buses run impeccably even after decades of use and abuse and still remains the much preferred choice of travellers from KA and other states, as well.

I remember having read an article saying Volvo provides comprehensive induction sessions on safety parameters in their buses to each of its customers at the time of vehicle delivery. It is the operators who are usually negligent in inculcating the safety aspects and educating its passengers. Sure, Volvo cannot be held liable for mistakes committed by careless fleet owners / operators.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks