Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 10:40   #1
Team-BHP Support

Keeping the "last row vacant" on the A320Neo; similar problem as the 737 Max

Although not exactly the same root cause/consequence as the Boeing 737Max, there are concerns that the A320neo has a tendency to pitch up, excessively, to an unsafe angle.

The EASA has recommended that airlines leave the last row of the plane vacant to maintain the centre of gravity. DGCA too has asked Indian carriers flying the aircraft to comply.

Lufthansa, British Airways, Indigo and GoAir are currently following this order.

Quote:
Airbus has determined that the A320neo is potentially vulnerable to an angle-of-attack protection weakness which could result in excessive pitch attitude under certain circumstances.

The condition is "different" from the excessive-pitch anomaly recently discovered during analysis of the larger A321neo, says the European Union Aviation Safety Agency, although it appears outwardly similar.

EASA stresses that the condition has never been encountered during A320neo operations.

But it says that a "reduced efficiency" of the aircraft's angle-of-attack protection under certain flight configurations, and in combination with specific commanded manoeuvres from the crew, could lead to excessive pitch and higher workload.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...p-scen-460046/
libranof1987 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 10:56   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Keeping the "last row vacant" on the A320Neo; similar problem as the 737 Max

To best of my knowledge this applies only to those aircraft that were fitted with a ' Space Flex' interior which squeezed in an additional row after rearranging the gallery and toilet layout at the rear. Lufthansa has this and their testing revealed that at full all up weight the centre of gravity is marginal in case of an aborted take off and their was a small chance of a tail strike in such cases of a high angle of attack close to the ground. I may be wrong but it does not apply to standard interiors with the normal 30 rows six abreast. Just my two paisa. I am not in the industry anymore and may not have every detail.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 11:03   #3
BHPian

re: Keeping the "last row vacant" on the A320Neo; similar problem as the 737 Max

Looks like this is applicable only to Lufthansa and British Airways who have 32 rows as against Indian carriers which operate a 31 row cabin.

Adjustments are being made in the cargo area only leaving the last compartment empty to adjust the centre of gravity.
aditya.86 is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks