Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2019, 21:11   #1
BANNED

Greaves Cotton develops single-cylinder BS6 diesel engine for 3-wheelers

Greaves Cotton develops single-cylinder BS6 diesel engine for 3-wheelers-greavescottondevelopsbsvicompliantsinglecylinderdieselengineforthreewheelers1364.jpg

The company becomes the first 3W single-cylinder diesel engine maker in the country to secure BS-VI certification. This is a significant step to support three-wheeler makers in India.

Quote:
Greaves Cotton, the market leader in fuel-agnostic powertrain solutions provider announced the completion of the stringent BS-VI certification for its single-cylinder diesel engine; making it the cleanest single-cylinder diesel engine on the planet with significantly reduced emissions. Three-wheeler manufacturers like Piaggio, Bajaj Auto, TVS Motors and Atul Auto will get benefits from this development.

Commenting on the achievement, Dr. Ravi Damodaran, Chief Technology Officer, Greaves Cotton, said, “The launch of our single-cylinder BS-VI Diesel engine for 3W application is a milestone not just for us but also for the automobile industry in the country. This is a significant technological achievement for us considering that there were no worldwide benchmarks to emulate and that we built this compact engine ground-up in record-time. Greaves BS-VI Single Cylinder Diesel engine along with our strong aftermarket support will enable our OEM partners to contribute significantly to pollution reduction on the roads while offering greater value to their customers in India and export markets. It opens up opportunities to lead clean diesel applications worldwide. We see this technology breakthrough as yet another strategic achievement in building world-class clean-mobility solutions ranging from clean diesel to CNG and electric.”
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 22:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Greaves Cotton develops single-cylinder BS6 diesel engine for 3-wheelers

Absolutely horrifying news for the environment conscious person in me.

I was gleefully waiting for these overloaded, abused, black smoke belching single cylinder diesels to be taken away from our roads.

Last edited by ramzsys : 7th December 2019 at 22:22.
ramzsys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 23:00   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Absolutely horrifying news for the SAFETY conscious person in me. I have seen first hand how these deathly contraptions can turn turtle, not to mention the errant ignorant drivers pointing out their mere one inch fingers to indicate a turn!

Torq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 00:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Any details about this engine? 3 Wheeler - Philosophy underlying it is very low cost. A low cost engine is very unlikely to meet automotive BS6 norms. So how have they done it? (Am assuming that the norms for automobiles and 3 wheelers are identical).

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 00:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

On a positive note, I think it's good that the three wheelers will also be BS6 compliant as other vehicles, so hopefully they will help reduce the emissions whatever little bit they can.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 06:56   #6
BHPian

With the introduction of the Bajaj Qute which I'm starting to spot more and more often nowadays (and I hope similar 4-wheeled competing products follow, in the quadricycle segment), I wish they'd enact a law to completely obsolete 3-wheeled rickshaws atleast for human transport.

And maybe give incentives to present owners to upgrade to the likes of Qute.
Old 8th December 2019, 08:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Greaves Cotton develops single-cylinder BS6 diesel engine for 3-wheelers

Quote:

I was gleefully waiting for these overloaded, abused, black smoke belching single cylinder diesels to be taken away from our roads.
If it meets the norms, that is good, right? In India, there is a good use case for such vehicles
Old 8th December 2019, 09:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
If it meets the norms, that is good, right? In India, there is a good use case for such vehicles
if meeting the norms is the only target, then even our national diesel engine can be made to. It's a question of real world operating conditions.

They are seldom utilized to haul it's stipulated load; overloading and (a different kind of) pedal to the metal driving. Or fix floor boards in every angle possible to make 'seat' for additional passengers; not to mention the near perfect suicide mission driving which fails only because road users rush in all directions to give passage.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2019, 09:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are seldom utilized to haul it's stipulated load; overloading and (a different kind of) pedal to the metal driving. Or fix floor boards in every angle possible to make 'seat' for additional passengers; not to mention the near perfect suicide mission driving which fails only because road users rush in all directions to give passage.
The points you mention above are something very different which have to be addressed separately. All I'm saying is that these vehicles have lot of use cases in our country and it would be good to have them meet the emission norms. I personally have used them to lot to transport personal effects that, for eg, do not fit into my car.
Agree that they are misused many a time beyond their capacity, overspeeding etc, but these are to be handled separately and not necessarily restricted to 3 wheelers like these.
One raw apple does not mean you throw the full basket out

Last edited by dinu2506 : 8th December 2019 at 09:50.
dinu2506 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 13:34   #10
BANNED

It’s a good product. At the right time. Do they provide technical details of how they achieved it? As I understand BS6 diesel has less sulphur and therefore is less able to lubricate the injectors.

I read that 80,000 people die due to coal powered plants specifically.
Here is that link:https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ons-greenpeace

Is there anything like bs6 coal?
Old 10th December 2019, 16:57   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
As I understand BS6 diesel has less sulphur and therefore is less able to lubricate the injectors.
The solution should ideally come from our Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs). Euro 6 grade diesel elsewhere in the world comes with synthetic lubricity additives which supplement the erstwhile Sulfur content and keep up the slippery nature of diesel. One assumes that India's OMCs will do the same. If not, we're looking at armageddon. India's logistics should grind to a halt if BS 4 and older diesel engine injectors fail when run on BS 6 diesel.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 17:38   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
If not, we're looking at armageddon. India's logistics should grind to a halt if BS 4 and older diesel engine injectors fail when run on BS 6 diesel.
It’s worse than that. The article below says that this diesel has double the water content compared to regular diesel.
At low temperature the water is expelled.
It means that you cannot leave your car unused for a long time. It is likely that the bacteria grows in it.

You may read more here:
https://enertechlabs.com/latest-information-on-ulsd/

How will an insurance surveyor know if an injector or engine is damaged due to wrong fuel?

You need him to be qualified as a bio chemist and petroleum expert.

What about agricultural pump sets?

It means that fuel stations will have to have another pump for this new bs6 diesel. Since Maruti has already announced that they won’t make bs4 diesel cars from 2020 who will benefit from all this?

Last edited by hangover : 10th December 2019 at 17:47.
Old 10th December 2019, 17:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about agricultural pump sets?
Not used anymore, solar powered pumps replacing/replaced them.

As for tractors, we plan to use it with 2T oil mix, since they all are just DI.
Old 10th December 2019, 17:57   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The article below says that this diesel has double the water content compared to regular diesel.
At low temperature the water is expelled.
It means that you cannot leave your car unused for a long time. It is likely that the bacteria grows in it.
Funny you should mention this; I vaguely recall seeing news reports of bacterial slime formation in the fuel tank of newly purchased BS 6 diesel cars...Sulfur is anti-bacterial too (why it is an ingredient in skin ointments). So while lubricity additives can keep diesel slippery enough, slime formation seems to be in the offing for diesel vehicles going forward!
Quote:
How will an insurance surveyor know if an injector or engine is damaged due to wrong fuel?
But why would an insurance surveyor even be in this grim picture. If it is vehicle maintenance pains we're talking about, insurance coverage doesn't apply here.
Quote:
It means that fuel stations will have to have another pump for this new bs6 diesel.
Ideally, all fuel bunks are supposed to totally switch over to BS 6 fuel countrywide. But I've heard rumblings that our OMCs cannot roll out BS 6 fuel countrywide, come June 2020.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2019, 18:45   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But why would an insurance surveyor even be in this grim picture. If it is vehicle maintenance pains we're talking about, insurance coverage doesn't apply here.
I was thinking if there is a warranty claim on an engine that got damaged using the wrong grade of fuel, such a claim may be tricky.
I agree it’s not very likely.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks