Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2019, 18:56   #1
BANNED

Piaggio enters EV segment, launches 1st three-wheeler Ape E-City

Piaggio enters EV segment, launches 1st three-wheeler Ape E-City-piaggioenterevslaunchesfirstthreewheelerapeecity1374.jpg

The first E-auto in India with swappable battery technology from Sun Mobility is also the Ape’ E-City with fixed battery technology. The new Ape’ Electrik is Piaggio’s range of electric vehicles across various product categories.

Quote:
Piaggio Vehicles India’s leading manufacturer of small commercial vehicles today launched its new electric range, Ape’ Electrik, and marked its entry into the electric vehicle segment. Ape’ Electrik will have a full range of electric vehicles across various categories with Ape’ E-City being the first product launched under the Ape’ Electrik range.

The new Ape’ E-City offers an innovative driving experience with zero-emission with nearly no noise and vibration making it a next-generation last-mile mobility solution for urban India. It comes with various class-leading features making it a unique proposition with advanced Li-ion batteries, automatic gearbox, superior power and torque, no gear and clutch, doors for safety, full digital cluster. Ape’ E-City is the first 3-wheeler to have smart swappable batteries.
Source: TrucksDekho
wheelguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 11:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Piaggio launches Ape Electrik range of EVs

Piaggio has entered the electric vehicle (EV) segment with the Ape Electrik range. The Ape E-City electric autorickshaw is the first product to be launched under this range. It is priced at Rs. 1.97 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Piaggio enters EV segment, launches 1st three-wheeler Ape E-City-pic-2-2.jpg

The Ape E-City comes with swappable lithium-ion batteries and an automatic gearbox. The rickshaw has a full digital instrument cluster which displays information like state of charge, drive modes, service alerts and economy mode. It also comes equipped with doors for safety.

Piaggio enters EV segment, launches 1st three-wheeler Ape E-City-pic-3.jpg

Piaggio is offering a 3 year / 1 lakh km warranty on the Ape E-City. The company is also offering 3 year free scheduled maintenance and a 3 year AMC package for Rs. 3,000.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 12:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Piaggio launches Ape Electrik range of EVs

Looks quite mainstream, compared to the contraptions we have in the name of E-Rickshaws.

However, Just wondering, what is the range of this vehicle?
There is no mention of the range or power anywhere regarding this.

Lastly, what is an automatic gearbox doing in this EV?
Does it really have a gearbox like some very expensive EVs?
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:02   #4
BHPian

Is this already available to purchase? Manufacturers need to stop calling EVs automatic. They can call it a single speed reduction gearbox.
sreeharipv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
However, Just wondering, what is the range of this vehicle?
There is no mention of the range or power anywhere regarding this.
It seems to be around 70-80 Kms based on the below article.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/piaggio-a...7-lakh-2150939

Never the less, i would still support this new launch. I do hope that they soon bring out something to replace the loader too with EV.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 13:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Really look forward to the silence given the God Almighty racket which the diesel one makes!
GeeTee TSI is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 14:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Really look forward to the silence given the God Almighty racket which the diesel one makes!
True. I also hope Eicher develops electric Royal Enfields soon. They make more noise than 20 different vehicles around them.
sri_tesla is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 14:29   #8
BHPian

It is quite a compelling buy with those warranty and AMC packages. But, why these puny tyres Every Commercial EV is undertyred IMO.
Old 19th December 2019, 19:29   #9
BHPian

I am in the market for an e-rikshaw and these new offerings by mainstream companies are a welcome change. There are 2 offerings by Mahindra as well in this market which are cheaper but don't have a 1L km warranty. Will have to read in detail what all components are covered and how much battery degradation is required before they change it under warranty.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 08:19   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Piaggio enters EV segment, launches 1st three-wheeler Ape E-City

The keen eyed would have noticed Chetan Maini (of Reva fame) in the pictures. Here's why = he is the co-founder of Sun Mobility:

Quote:
The swappable battery concept is being brought in association with Sun mobility, a leader in electric mobility battery technology. Sun-Mobility will provide a Quick Interchange Station network which will enable Piaggio Customers to just Swap and Go in a few minutes. Customers can also experience an app enabled eco-system to check battery charge, recharge, locate swap stations etc.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 16:09   #11
BHPian

Looking forwarding to hearing from the Auto drivers that he can't take me to my destination because charge is not there.
neeravnaik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 10:32   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
Looking forwarding to hearing from the Auto drivers that he can't take me to my destination because charge is not there.
Earlier we had the 2 stroke auto drone and farting honk to warn us about their unholy presence, now with the electric rickshaw they will become an unstoppable weapon.. it'll have much greater torque on the go and will be silent, drivers will have to be much more cautious when dealing with these zig zagging sadists.

AND yes.. "saaaar no charge to go that far" will be a standard excuse.
Old 23rd December 2019, 14:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravnaik View Post
This is why they made provision for battery swap. You need to carry your own battery to resolve such a situation. Clearly, experience of Mr. Maini with Bangalore city has contributed great foresight.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 08:30   #14
BANNED

Ape Electric auto rickshaw with fixed battery to launch by June

Piaggio Vehicles Pvt Ltd wants the government to consider giving incentives under the FAME 2 scheme for battery swapping technology. The brand recently launched the Ape E-City people mover, the first product launched under the Ape Electrik range. The first 3-wheeler to have smart swappable batteries, Ape E-City is priced at Rs. 1.97 lakhs ex-showroom Delhi. At the launch, Ape E-City FX prototype was also showcased with a fixed battery and is expected to launch by June 2020.

In an interaction with BW Businessworld, Diego Graffi, Piaggio India MD & CEO said that Piaggio is in discussions with the government to include battery swapping also in the incentive scheme. Currently, the FAME 2 scheme grants subsidy for vehicles with factory-fitted batteries but not for swappable batteries.
Quote:
Talking about its EV foray plans, Grafi maintained, “Under Ape Electrik, we have Ape City, and Gamma, a goods carrier. We will be coming up with fixed battery run EV, which will be commercially available in the second quarter of (CY) 2020. Our immediate priority is to get feedback from the customers and deploy the infrastructure for a battery swap. We have already delivered more than 200 vehicles to our dealers in Calicut, Chandigarh.”
Piaggio has partnered with Bengaluru-based Sun Mobility for the swappable battery concept to provide a Quick Interchange Station network, which customers can swap and get back on the road in a few minutes. There’s also an app that customers can use to check battery charge, recharge, locate swap stations, mileage (km/kWh), distance to empty, distance travelled and speed of the vehicle.

Ape E-City is powered by a 4.5 kWh Lithium-Ion battery with a power output of 5.4 kW and torque of 29 Nm. The three-seater comes with a top speed 45 km/h and a certified range of 68 km/charge. Ape E-City gets a first-in-category digital instrument cluster that displays information like state of charge, drive modes, service alerts, economy mode etc provided for advance assistance to drivers. The electric three-wheeler gets standard warranty of 36 months/1 lakh km along with free scheduled maintenance for 3 years.

Source
Old 23rd January 2020, 20:14   #15
BHPian

I went out to check the Ape Electrik today and found the concept to be flawed. They are charging you money for the vehicle and the battery but not allowing you to charge the battery on your own. You have to compulsorily get you batteries swapped/charged at the Piaggio stations and they are currently charging the owners 140 bucks for a single charge which is giving 60-70 kms of range.
If they wanted to use this model, they should have then not charged for the battery when buying the Auto. The owners seemed not perturbed because pricing seems to be similar to CNG and currently the wait time is considerably less at the stations. But I can't go ahead with the purchase because I intended to use this in a small town with my own solar-based charging. In this model, the sales-guy told me that the battery is guaranteed for lifetime which he said was 15 years. I couldn't get more details on this, but it gels well with their concept where you own the auto but need to pay for charged batteries to them to use the vehicle.

I then went to Mahindra but they seemed least bothered. I left some questions with them and waiting to hear back from them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks