Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 11:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi Metro gets India's first driverless train

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated India's first driverless train. It will run on Delhi Metro's Magenta Line linking Janakpuri West and Botanical Garden.

Delhi Metro gets India's first driverless train-945595delhimetro12.jpg

Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has been testing driverless technology for at least 3 years. With the inauguration of the first driverless train, Delhi Metro has now become a part of the small group of Metro networks in the world that can operate autonomous trains. Only 7% of total Metro networks in the world operate driverless trains.

Delhi Metro's driverless trains will have an operational speed of 85 km/h and a maximum speed of 95 km/h. The onboard systems precisely calculate the amount of acceleration and braking required for maximum accuracy during arrival and departure at platforms. The trains feature platform track monitoring systems, remote sensing systems and intrusion avoidance.

DMRC's Line 7 and Line 8 are currently equipped to handle autonomous trains. These lines are fitted with advanced signalling systems. But, before transitioning to unattended train operations (UTO), the metro will run in Driverless Train Operation (DTO) mode wherein command centres will be in control of the train.

At present, trains running on Line 1,2,3 and 4 are controlled by the driver. On all the other corridors, the trains run in Automatic Train Operations (ATO) mode, where drivers only have to operate the doors and press the departure button.

Source
TusharK is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Delhi Metro gets India's first driverless train

As much as I admire the technological leap, I am left wondering what is the point behind this. With a population of 135 crores (and growing), do we really need technology to replace human jobs?

Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have a human controlling any vehicle I am travelling in.
RedTerrano is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:13   #3
BHPian

It's all good and high-tech and everything, but only one thing comes to my mind
Attached Thumbnails
Delhi Metro gets India's first driverless train-images-2.jpeg  

yesyeswe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does this make it safer ? More timely ?

I dont understand the intention of doing this. I heard ultimately this will be done for all metro trains across the country. We should use technology on need basis and not just to show off.

Maybe someone can explain how it all works if there is an emergency. There should be some over ride control from the stations if required etc.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
As much as I admire the technological leap, I am left wondering what is the point behind this. With a population of 135 crores (and growing), do we really need technology to replace human jobs?
+1.
We are a nation with a huge pool of skilled and semi-skilled resources, thereby ensuring cheap and plentiful supply of labour. While any step to reduce human intervention in daily lives is a welcome move, India, per se, is not suited to this action (atleast not in this case!). IMHO, there are no such plans to operate more and more corridors with driverless cars, this rollout can be more perceived in terms of India arriving in that league of driverless technology!

Quote:
Call me old fashioned, but I would rather have a human controlling any vehicle I am travelling in.
I echo you! I'm myself into implementing technology to improve logistics and warehouse operations, I still favour the thought : Any technology should complement human efforts, and not to replace human efforts.

AI (Artificial Intelligence) can progress leaps and bounds, but, it may never replace human conscience/emotions/ability to take last moment reactions in adverse situations, atleast not in our lifetime!

Regards,
Jigar Shah
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 15:29   #6
BHPian

I believe that this is a step in the right direction. With increased automation, the efficiency of operating metros can be increased, more services can be added to accommodate the peak demands. The DMRC can save efforts and resources on training the operators, and invest more on the maintenance of the infrastructure thus balancing or adding jobs in the system.

Change is constant; this autonomous system is the norm of the future, job roles are bound to change (and not eliminate) and DMRC can become a good role model and a testing bed for all the future metro lines.
invincii is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

We now need automation to replace all politicians. In a country high on labour that is one arena that needs to be unmanned.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 29th December 2020 at 17:01.
V.Narayan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Honestly I had not expected this kind of response on Team BHP Driverless technology will help optimize the train operations to a large extent by eliminating variations of driving technique (some drivers brake cautiously, accelerate cautiously and so on). The advanced CBTC signalling can deliver 90 second headway between trains which will be very beneficial.

As of now the trains will have a human being present.
AkMar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:18   #9
BHPian

I won't be surprised if this increases the cost. The drivers would be replaced by expensive engineers outsourced to the companies that get the contract for operating this.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 17:56   #10
BHPian

I've basically studied near the metro line for my bachelors, and have seen how long it took for DMRC to bring this technology here as well as seeing daily test runs on this line from Botanical Garden, i've riden this driverless train when it started operating and was super impressed with it. It does give a small jitter between initial speed and average speed, so they've adjusted it so far in order not to give any sort of a discomfort to the riders of the train.

Nevertheless super impressed with this driverless train and eager to witness more autonomous feats!
Rohan1511 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I am left wondering what is the point behind this. With a population of 135 crores (and growing), do we really need technology to replace human jobs?
This tech is to eliminate human error and not to replace human jobs.
IP_Man is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:24   #12
BHPian

Any signal jumped at "Danger" aspect amounts to maximum punishment of "Removal from Service" for Loco Pilots(Indian Railways) even if there is no accident involved or even if the train was stopped within short distance from the above said signal.

So this is introduced to avoid that human error. But still humans are better machines!

Anyways, adaptation of new technology is always welcome but that definitely would support more corporates and AMCs rather than creating new job opportunities for the already unemployed youth.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:34   #13
BHPian

The concern about unemployment is certainly understandable, but the truth is that automation is quite inevitable. Machines are just better than us at some things, and that list of things will only keep growing. In the short term, automation may reduce job opportunities in select fields, but in the long run, the increase in efficiency and consistency that automation can deliver is massive.

Additionally, I don't think this is just only meant for showing off. The ideas and technology that go into a driverless train are shared among industries outside of trains, and any step that introduces automation also encourages the introduction of said tech and its production locally.
francisvellara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 13:06   #14

Quote:

Your are 100 %right. We are using whatever whites are inventing producing and marketing. Ultimately we become their market place for produce.
All these DEVELOPMENTS are moving us towards doing nothing. From organic doing nothing to inorganic doing nothing to chemical doing nothing to mechanised doing nothing to automated doing nothing to Artificial doing nothing. And finally back to where we began, just to understand all we have done are waste of resources and causing pollution.
Please leave nature untouched undisturbed.
Please. I cant say "How Dare You."
I can only request "Please"
kmasthan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincii View Post
I believe that this is a step in the right direction. With increased automation, the efficiency of operating metros can be increased, more services can be added to accommodate the peak demands. The DMRC can save efforts and resources on training the operators, and invest more on the maintenance of the infrastructure thus balancing or adding jobs in the system.

Change is constant; this autonomous system is the norm of the future, job roles are bound to change (and not eliminate) and DMRC can become a good role model and a testing bed for all the future metro lines.
Fully agree with you. However, a driver should remain in the cabin ready to take over in the event of an emergency. Airplanes can fly and land on auto pilot but there are always two pilots in the cockpit. Airplanes carry around 200 to 400 passengers while a metro train can carry over a thousand. We can certainly afford to pay the salaries of a few dozen train operators. There are hardly any jobs in India and we can’t start encouraging public companies to start job cuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Honestly I had not expected this kind of response on Team BHP Driverless technology will help optimize the train operations to a large extent by eliminating variations of driving technique (some drivers brake cautiously, accelerate cautiously and so on). The advanced CBTC signalling can deliver 90 second headway between trains which will be very beneficial.

As of now the trains will have a human being present.
All braking, stopping and operating is and has been automated on all Delhi metro lines for over a decade. The operator is only supervising the operation. I welcome the CTBC signaling technology. It should be incorporated in all metro lines. Just keep an operator in the cabin to supervise.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed