Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 11:07   #1
BHPian

India's longest 2-tier freight train - 1.5 km long with 180 containers!

Check out this massive anaconda of a freight train!

Two tiered, 1.5 KM long, hauling 180 containers in on go, this world's longest freight train was flagged off in the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor, India

India's longest 2-tier freight train - 1.5 km long with 180 containers!-longest-freight-train.jpg
RedTerrano is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: India's longest 2-tier freight train - 1.5 km long with 180 containers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Two tiered, 1.5 KM long, hauling 180 containers in on go, this world's longest freight train was flagged off in the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor, India
It is long, but it is not the longest freight train in the world, not by a, pardon the pun, long shot:

BHP run on 21 June 2001, comprising 682 wagons and hauled by eight 6000 hp General Electric GE AC6000CW diesel-electric locomotives controlled by a single driver with a total length of 7.352 km on the 275 km iron ore railway to Port Hedland in Western Australia – total weight 99,734 tons on a 1,435mm gauge line.

1967: Norfolk and Western operated the world's longest and heaviest freight train between Iaeger, W.Va., and Portsmouth, Ohio. The train was four miles long with 500 coal cars and six locomotives. The train weighed 48,170 tons and ran for a distance of 159 miles.

1,5 km puts this train somewhere in the middle of “longest trains” in the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_trains

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:20   #3
BHPian

DFCs are sure to change the way freight transportation happens in India.

The average speed of these freight monsters on the DFCs have zommed to about 60-70 kmph from the current 25 kmph on normal lines.

From what I have heard, a freight train has achieved a top speed of 90 kmph on the EDFC after inauguration. Though too good to be true, the WAG 12s are sure to revolutionise the freight transport sector of the IR.

The entire length of DFCs - WDFC and EDFC to be opened to dedicated freight traffic from March '22 onwards, based on the latest news reports.

Regards,
Jigar Shah
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
It is long, but it is not the longest freight train in the world, not by a, pardon the pun, long shot:
True. I had no idea till I checked the wiki link. I was quoting the newspaper.
Looks like Canada double stacked goods trains at 4.2KM trains would beat the Indian counterpart by quite some distance.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

DFC is indeed a great achievement and a step forward.

However this 1.5 km long train being longest is just PR. Heck It isn't even a single train. 2 freight trains are joined to form this long haul rake. The 2 trains have separate crew of their own. If you see any video of it you will notice that there is a guard van in the middle of the train. The second locomotive is independently controlled by its own set of loco pilots. A truely 1.5 km long train will have a single set of crew operating the entire train, with the leading crew controlling all locomotives through physical Multiple unit connection or wireless protocol.

This is not taking away anything from DFC, just stating facts
AkMar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 11:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
However this 1.5 km long train being longest is just PR. Heck It isn't even a single train. 2 freight trains are joined to form this long haul rake. The 2 trains have separate crew of their own. If you see any video of it you will notice that there is a guard van in the middle of the train. The second locomotive is independently controlled by its own set of loco pilots.
I am not aware of which video you are referring to. In the news paper pic, two engines can be spotted at the front. I have seen similar setup in the ghat section of Pune-Mumbai track, to counter the steep gradient.

Perhaps the guard van in the middle is for safety reasons, considering the length of the train?
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 12:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not aware of which video you are referring to. In the news paper pic, two engines can be spotted at the front. I have seen similar setup in the ghat section of Pune-Mumbai track, to counter the steep gradient.

Perhaps the guard van in the middle is for safety reasons, considering the length of the train?
You can see the video here At 0:45 you can see guard van and locomotive this is where 2nd freight starts.

The 2 locos seen at the front are actually a single unit of the new WAG-12B locos manufactured by Alstom, which are split into 2 parts.
AkMar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 16:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:
At 0:45 you can see guard van and locomotive this is where 2nd freight starts.
I don't think independent control of the locomotive after the guard's cabin is possible at such close distances. The second locomotive is actually attached to the guard cabin. So, it qualifies as a single train. 2 trains operating independently will have at least 1.5km between them for safety reasons.
mtnrajdeep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

DFCCIL(Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India) - 12000 HP WAG 12 MadeInIndia Madhepura based Loco hauling double stack container on flat wagons: High rise Over Head Equipment (OHE) of 7.4 meter height facilitated this capacity enhancement.

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 8th January 2021 at 17:09.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:51   #10
BHPian

Having two engines manually controlled calls for a lot of skill. particularly in push pull configurations.

During the mid 1970 I used to chat with a lot of goods train drivers as they waited in the side line near our house. They all had hair raising stories of the difficulties of traversing the Bhor Ghats. The one incident I remember vividly was an Assistant Loco Driver recounting his first trip, mentored by the senior most driver on the section. Said senior was sleeping off the previous night's excesses. But just after Khandala the senior sprang into action. Communication with the rear engine was through a series of horn patterns. He managed the descent with utmost skill and than promptly handed over control to the junior.
I got to know that even a slight mismatch of forces between the 2 engines would cause derailment.

In the video you will notice the station manager standing in his designated circle holding a green flag. Quite redundant in our days of electronic signalling. Methinks the railways is persisting with the tradition to indicate to the driver that somebody is physically present and sober!!
sridhar-v is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 00:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Check out this massive anaconda of a freight train!

Two
Attachment 2104632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

Jeroen
I think the key achievement is that electric locos were used to pull this massive/first double stacked train. Otherwise as shared above, there are longer trains across globe. Pantograph has been raised very high for high rise OHE of 7.5 meters. Normal OHE is 5.5 meters. Below is a pic from ECoR

India's longest 2-tier freight train - 1.5 km long with 180 containers!-traction_newtech2.jpg

http://www.irgreenri.gov.in/tractiondistribution.html

Here is a link from Press Information Bureau regarding the world record.

https://pib.gov.in/PressReleaseIfram...x?PRID=1686252
vikasshu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 13:12   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea why Rewari - Madar was chosen for this ? What is the kind of freight traffic on this section ?
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2021, 14:19   #13
BHPian

This (the news posted by the OP) is the longest - double stacked freight train pulled by an electric locomotive. Recently IR ran a train called ‘Super Sheshnaag’

Last edited by torquecurve : 9th January 2021 at 14:24.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 09:56   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's longest 2-tier freight train - 1.5 km long with 180 containers!

Great achievement. I hope IR can reduce freight prices to remove trucks off the road.

Is it the longest train in the world with double stacked containers?
Quote:
However this 1.5 km long train being longest is just PR. Heck It isn't even a single train. 2 freight trains are joined to form this long haul rake...
Sorry, but 2 trains coupled to make one trains makes one train. The train might need the additional engine(s) in the center for power and this is fairly common even in the large freight trains in North America. Also, the control for the second locomotive will be synchronized with the lead locomotive. If the 2 parts accelerated ar different rates, couplers would snap and could potentially result in a dangerous situation.

Once this is successful, we'll not see a guard wagon in the middle.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 10:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: India's longest 2-tier freight train - 1.5 km long with 180 containers!

I will say that is an achievement on our rail network. The new dedicated freight corridor (or DFC) is going to change the way we move rail freight in terms of efficiency and speed.

With regard to length of a freight consist, CSX Transportation in the United States operate freight lengths that are well over 10,000 feet in length. That is twice as long as our longest freight on the DFC. The other benefit they have, I believe we are experimenting with this technology, is distributed power control. The locomotive in the middle is not manned by crew. It is controlled via Radio frequency.

Our rail line sidings or yards are suitable to accommodate no more than 58 boxn (Coal, iron ore wagons) wagons. This also limits our ability to operate super long freight consists as it will be a logistical nightmare to shunt and assemble these long rakes. We are learning but it will take time to match rail roads like the United States or Australia. Good luck if you're stuck at a level crossing while they shunt these rakes. It can take as long as 15 minutes for these long rakes to clear.

Where we are ahead of the curve is motive power. We have gone all electric (mostly) which in my view has better power delivery characteristics and should be cheaper to run. The USA and Australia, for some reason, refuse to pick up electric traction for freight or commercial operations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Said senior was sleeping off the previous night's excesses.
Things can be different today. I had done a cab ride 15 years ago. The driver was so sleep deprived or just tired from working day after day. We were pulled over at some station and it was evident to him that we were going to be standing there for a while. We were hauling freight. The moment we stopped, he spread a news paper on the ground and went to sleep. I was given the job of flashing the green light (It was night time) for every passing train. I ended up flashing the light even for the trains that over took us, even though you don't need to do this. Its a memory I won't forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Methinks the railways is persisting with the tradition to indicate to the driver that somebody is physically present and sober!!
This is similar to the Japanese practice of handling trains at stations. You'll see a platform attendant welcoming trains as well as confirming their departure. The chaps just talking to himself and following procedure.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 11th January 2021 at 10:19.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks