Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 08:50   #16
BANNED

Re: Ashok Leyland delivers Light Bullet Proof Vehicles to the Indian Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post

While these are primarily procured for base security - they can easily be flown by our fleet of Mi8/17's (inside the bay) if required during emergencies.

The word 'Light' in this is used by vehicle category type. Typically armoured upto STANAG II (Ballistic/ Blast) level meaning it is resistant to small arms fire (7.62 Armour Piercing/Incindery) and grenades. the 7.62 is the AK47 bullet BTW. Light is also the payload capability.

Thank you for that reply.
Any information what would be inputs by Lokheed in this vehicle.
Is it the blast dissipation under the body if driven over a mine or explosive or the fact that it can fit in an cargo airplane.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th April 2021, 12:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Sorry, but it is a noob question.
Why will Air force need Armored vehicles? Airforce can fly to where ever.

Army will need it right?

Also since the word light and air force are in the same place, it it made of kevlar and aluminum so as to be flown in cargo aircrafts.
Let's say there is an attack of the sorts of Pulwama. These vehicles are needed to secure the birds on an airbase. They will be needed to guard, secure and respond as flying to every location is not possible in all situations. They can attack and be used as ground patrols near air bases.
Old 19th April 2021, 16:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by norhog View Post
Thank you for that reply.
Any information what would be inputs by Lokheed in this vehicle.
Is it the blast dissipation under the body if driven over a mine or explosive or the fact that it can fit in an cargo airplane.

Thanks in advance.
The entire vehicle is based on the the Lockheed Martin CVNG - Common Vehicle Next Generation.

About the CVNG -
The Lockheed Martin (LM) CVNG is based on the thought process of the Supacat HMT ( High Mobility Transporter).

The Concept is to have a 'base chassis' which can be easily customized to deliver multiple vehicles that the military may need, including 'field changes' where required.
Somewhat like how car companies use 'platforms'. Ideally an Octavia is the same as a Jetta/ A4/ Seat Leon with a choice of engines.

The HMT was designed with 2/3 engines, 2/3 transmission choices and 'mounting spaces' which allow for modules to be added/ removed from the base vehicle to be used in multiple roles.

The AL - LBPV is based on the same concept, which was purchased from Lockheed Martin.

The base version is not 'armoured' and can be considered as an equivalent to a Open top Jeep, Its meant to be used for troop transport.

Based on the IAF needs - this has been armoured to Stanag2 levels
Incidentally, Stanag2 vehicles dont necessarily have the 'V' shaped hull that mine resistant vehicles have but use 'curve deflectors' similar to the sloped armour on tanks where the slope increases the 'effective cross section' of the armour plate. This dissipates the 'blast pressure' created by the explosion away from the vehicle while also ensuring that the plate does not deform too much. The seats for the soldiers in such vehicles are generally suspended from the top rather than being bolted to the floor. Most Grenades have between 120-200 grams of explosive as they depend upon 'shrapnel' for the secondary kill effect. Such a vehicle will easily take a few grenade hits directly.

I believe AL bought the basic chassis/ engine design from LM. AL has in the past developed armoured vehicles based on the same chassis.
torquecurve is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 12:21   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
T Ideally an Octavia is the same as a Jetta/ A4/ Seat Leon with a choice of engines.
Thanks for your in-depth knowledge on the subject and the explanations. Minor correction unrelated to topic. A4 based on MLB (Modularer Längsbaukasten / Modular longitudinal matrix) and the rest other cars are based on MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten / Modular transversal matrix). Both MLB and MQB fall under MB (Modulare Baukasten or Modular matrix).
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 13:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Thanks for your in-depth knowledge on the subject and the explanations. Minor correction unrelated to topic. A4 based on MLB (Modularer Längsbaukasten / Modular longitudinal matrix) and the rest other cars are based on MQB (Modularer Querbaukasten / Modular transversal matrix). Both MLB and MQB fall under MB (Modulare Baukasten or Modular matrix).
Thanks for the information. Indeed something that I missed on! I was referring more to the cross-use of engines, parts, interior trim, etc.

About in-depth knowledge - I am just a student of this, there are gurus like V. Narayan sir!

Even more interesting is that this concept is now being used by the militaries (Including the US) where modularity is now replacing the use of 'specific's.

This approach, while having the key aspect of lower cost is even more important as lesser aggregates need to be carried by forward repair bases easier cannibalization for use in emergencies etc. Any military is as powerful as its logistics!

Last edited by torquecurve : 20th April 2021 at 13:53.
torquecurve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 18:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
No No No! they are not doing the security duty and I agree these private firm employees don't have the discipline level anywhere close to the armed personnel. These people are actually kept to help in gate opening regularly as these gates remained closed mostly and the guards can't be leaving their position everytime someone needs to enter/exit.

You'll also see 1-2 guard rooms at the entry of these institutions where everything is monitored and a few barracks are also there with men alert and with loaded guns and protective armour. Also, these civilians are required as the IAF doesn't have much man force like the army.
There were always a bunch of civilian employees like gardeners, gate openers and peons. But they were very well dressed and well behaved. Unlike these private guys, sad thing is, they won't even take it seriously when they're given instructions since they're not working for the unit, but for their own private firm.

They are doing a little more than gate opening right now, ID verification and permission is being handled by them to a certain extent. But there's always an airman sitting in the Security room, armed.

And the gunmen are still faujis. But I just can't stand these guys at the gates.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
One question, why does it need front guard? Black pipe bumper guard sorta thing in the front?
I was puzzled by this a bit too. Looking closely at the mounting points, particularly the lower bolt, part of me wonders if it's designed to swing forward when the upper bolt is removed. Then you have this scaffolding like guard extending in front of the vehicle - why you ask?

Well I'm thinking maybe they can hang chains from it, thereby creating a very simple solution adopted elsewhere for basically triggering any hidden IEDs at arms length from the actual vehicle itself. Looking at the deeply sloped nature of the undercarriage towards the front axle, I suppose it could make sense that would be a good means of focusing the blast ahead of the actual vehicle itself. Like torquecurve correctly points out, this vehicle lacks the V shaped hull of your typical MRAP, so it's best strategy with any explosive would be to trigger the explosion away from the vehicle.

It might be a bit of a stretch (pardon the pun) but that's all I could think of looking at the photo. Otherwise it does seem a bit redundant - the only explanation being someone at Ashok Leyland gave in to their Indian proclivity for bull bars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks