Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 15:26   #1
BHPian

A heart-warming Ramadan ad by Tata UAE

I came across this interesting ad on linkedin. For those who don't understand the context, TATA and Ashok Leyland (the latter mostly) buses are widely used in the UAE for the transport of laborers from their 'labour camps' to their worksites. Some of these buses are air-conditioned but most are not.

Why do I say 'heart-warmingish'? Because it's reinforces the prevailing class issue in the UAE, especially along the lines of nationality where some nationalities are considered superior to others (I will not elaborate on this given the forum).

It does however goes to show how important Indian companies have become in some markets.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 19th April 2021 at 15:32.
dragracer567 is online now   (36) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 16:31   #2
BANNED

re: A heart-warming Ramadan ad by Tata UAE

Moral of the story:

"When even the Toyota/Lexus breaks down, the Tata brings you home" - always have one!

Jokes apart, that's a wonderful execution, particularly the way emotions are expressed by all. Looks like they hired a really nice ad agency. First the nice Safari ad, and then this. Way to go!
VKumar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 17:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
It does however goes to show how important Indian companies have become in some markets.
It could also be due to rising competition from the Chinese. In the past, options were limited to Tata & Leyland from India and Mercs & Volvos from Europe. Today that equation is changing. Cheaper Chinese buses are on the prowl to take market share. For instance take public buses in a market like Kuwait. In the past they were flooded with European makes, now it is mainly Chinese. Soon they will take over sectors like School buses & Labor camp transportation with the last frontier being the minibus like Toyota Coasters etc. which are mainly used by Hospitals and clinics.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 21:59   #4
BANNED

Pretty cringe if you ask me. The servile behavior of the seemingly South Asian people, and the lordly image of the Lexus driving Arab.

As if South Asians weren't already looked down upon in ME.
D33-PAC is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 22:38   #5
BANNED

Thank heavens it was a Tata bus (which are pretty reliable), and not a Tata car (which, like their Marque brand JLR, are anything but reliable).
turbo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 02:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post
Pretty cringe if you ask me. The servile behavior of the seemingly South Asian people, and the lordly image of the Lexus driving Arab.

Thank you for noticing, exactly the problem I had with this ad to be honest! They could’ve shown the South Asians with having more self-respect.
dragracer567 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 03:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Someone forwarded this on WA and I was like, what is the message, what point they are trying to drive home? I find the whole class thing at play to be demeaning.
BANDHAV is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 03:11   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this a documentary or an advertisement?!

That's absolutely cringe worthy.

How could this be heart-warming? This is insulting.

IMHO they should have done the opposite and done something to improve the confidence and respect of the expats and NOT glorify their, "Yes master" fate.
kiku007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 08:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Why do I say 'heart-warmingish'? Because it's reinforces the prevailing class issue in the UAE, especially along the lines of nationality where some nationalities are considered superior to others (I will not elaborate on this given the forum).
It is advertising, and looking at this advertisement, the South Asians are not the intended audience - as long as they are able to "warm" the hearts of the decision maker, the job is done.
whitewing is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 08:21   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
It is advertising, and looking at this advertisement, the South Asians are not the intended audience - as long as they are able to "warm" the hearts of the decision maker, the job is done.
Exactly, even though there is a high low class thing at play here, it will warm the hearts of Arab owners to buy this bus for transport, preferably over the Chinese.
norhog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 11:05   #11
Team-BHP Support

Re: A heart-warming Ramadan ad by Tata UAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by D33-PAC View Post

Quote:
Thank you for noticing, exactly the problem I had with this ad to be honest! They could’ve shown the South Asians with having more self-respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Someone forwarded this on WA and I was like, what is the message, what point they are trying to drive home? I find the whole class thing at play to be demeaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Is this a documentary or an advertisement?!

That's absolutely cringe worthy.

How could this be heart-warming? This is insulting.

IMHO they should have done the opposite and done something to improve the confidence and respect of the expats and NOT glorify their, "Yes master" fate.
I agree with the point you guys made. Having lived in the Gulf for 18 years, I have seen this first hand, and unfortunately, this is still the reality of the region.

My self respect did not make me want to go back in search of a life or job there, after experiencing this during my childhood.
benbsb29 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 17:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: A heart-warming Ramadan ad by Tata UAE

Something it terribly wrong with marketing teams of entire Tata Group companies.
Whenever & wherever they have tried to drive their ads around a festival or religion, it has received FLAK.

As Indians, we consider it to be our duty to learn & respect others cultures, even if they are ready to ridicule mine in my face.
Once, on a ship, an East-European officer received an earful from me when he tried to make joke of traditional wedding scene being played in an Indian movie, Nadiya Ke Paar (which was later made into "Hum Aapke Hain Kaun" with mega cast)

I have personally seen this a lot in Gulf, US (of course), China & Japan.

In fact, I have noted many Indians addressing themselves or sometimes even to me as "SAN" in my Email interactions. Especially in Toyota & Hitachi like companies.

Why do we feel that compulsions is beyond me.

Regards.
ariesonu is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks