Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2021, 15:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

The world's largest Yacht 'Somnio' measures 222 metres and will be ready in 2024

Swedish yacht designers, Winch Design and Tillberg Design, have unveiled the largest yacht in the world, the M/Y Somnio.

The world's largest Yacht 'Somnio' measures 222 metres and will be ready in 2024-largestyachtsomnio1.jpg

The Somnio, also referred to as a 'Yacht Liner', measures 222 metres in length and will be ready by mid-2024. It will be built by Norwegian ship designers and builders, VARD, at a cost of around US$ 600 million.

The world's largest Yacht 'Somnio' measures 222 metres and will be ready in 2024-largestyachtsomnio2.jpg

When it is introduced in 2024, the Somnio will become the world's only residential yacht. It will come with 39 high-end apartments across six floors, along with a number of 7-star hotels, restaurants, bars and onboard beach clubs.

The world's largest Yacht 'Somnio' measures 222 metres and will be ready in 2024-largestyachtsomnio3.jpg

The purchasing process will be by 'Invitation Only', with each of the houses having a starting price of US$ 11 million. While the identity of the owners will be kept secret, they will receive full concierge services, both on-board and land-based.

Source: CNN

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 9th July 2021 at 15:18.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 16:55   #2
BHPian

Re: The world's largest Yacht 'Somnio' measures 222 metres and will be ready in 2024

I shall check my postbox daily !
NDK286 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 20:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: The world's largest Yacht 'Somnio' measures 222 metres and will be ready in 2024

Must admit - it looks sexy With great wealth, there's a market for almost anything these days.

Silly question - What factors determine that this is a Yacht and not a (cruise) ship?

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 9th July 2021 at 20:32.
landcruiser123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 20:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What factors determine that this is a Yacht and not a (cruise) ship?
Ships are owned by companies. These sort of Yachts are owned by obscenely rich gits.

Personally, I have yet to see anything more vulgar and tasteless. Everything about this contraption shouts bad taste and show off as far as I am concerned.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 21:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

222 meters! To put things into perspective the length of aircrafts like the 747 and A380 are around the 70-80 meters mark. Also for the first time hearing about shared (residential) yachts. Clueless how they can fit so many egos onto one vessel ! Most of the firms/celebs/parties hire big boats for the weekend and avoid the issue of ownership. Also the size of these gigantic ones will be an issue for those who buy them. Most of the Marinas and yachting clubs may not be able to accommodate these in their bays and maybe required to moor a bit far away. It is akin to trying to take your private B777 into a small holiday airport over a gulfstream G650. These monstrous ones are nothing but a statement and something only the rich can understand.

Last edited by TrackDay : 9th July 2021 at 21:25.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hope this thing doesn't have to make a U-turn in suez canal
SoumenD is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 22:07   #7
BHPian

Honestly, I would like to meet the guy who told them it would work.

Whatever limited understanding I have of the ways of the Rich, its hard enough to get two rich people to agree on what color the sky is, let alone what destination they should sail to. And they think they can manage that with 39 of them!

The only plausible scenario would be the one depicted in the movie 2012. But the vessel looks awfully flashy for something built to survive the Armageddon

Last edited by Romeo_Mike : 9th July 2021 at 22:15.
Romeo_Mike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2021, 16:35   #8
BHPian

The very reason rich people buy yachts (other than showing off) is to get away from people and prying eyes and relax or host private parties with their "Friends" or do something illegal .

If I was a billionaire or millionaire why would I want to live in a shared boat with other (B/M)illionaires that have similar egos and very different tastes and different kinds of friends. This is just a country club on the sea.

The only situation I would see something like this work is if some rich people want to escape some natural disaster/panedmic together (like the 2012 movie) or something like that and be isolated from us peasants.

This sort of Excess reminds me of the 2007 before the Recession when some people had too much money and didn't know what to do with it.
ZenMaster is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 14:07   #9
BHPian

So this is being built by Nordic countries which are some of the biggest preachers of environmental responsibility..Talk about hypocrisy! This thing is ugly from every perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
The very reason rich people buy yachts (other than showing off) is to get away from people and prying eyes and relax or host private parties with their "Friends" or do something illegal .
There are a lot of Sail powered Yacht owners who are neither rich nor do it for show off. There are some who sell off their homes and retire on a Yacht. There are many others who buy a 30 year old sailboat for 50k USD and rebuild it on their own for another 20k and then sail all over the world for getting away from the daily grind of life. For a couple, they are living on a monthly budget of ~1500 USD.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th July 2021 at 14:52. Reason: Mod Note inline
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 15:25   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Ships are owned by companies. These sort of Yachts are owned by obscenely rich gits.

Personally, I have yet to see anything more vulgar and tasteless. Everything about this contraption shouts bad taste and show off as far as I am concerned.

Jeroen
I agree. It's just obscene show off of wealth. But I mean, is that a new thing we see these days? I mean, the ultra rich have always had unique ways of spending money which we mere mortals find 'obscene' or 'unnecessary' or 'excessive'.
Old 12th July 2021, 08:28   #11
BHPian

Is it me or are the designers too optimistic that all the mega rich people will want to be grouped all together in 1 floating piece of metal that can be sunk easily by a missile or a terror attack.
Old 12th July 2021, 09:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

I don't get it. It's a yacht meaning it's owned by someone rich. It says it will have many 7 star hotels. How is that even possible? A 7 star hotel takes years to breakeven in metropolitans and in posh areas. If this is owned by an individual, why would he house a 7 star hotel? Or rather why would a hotel want to do business on his yacht? Let's say, even if it is used for commercial purpose, it just would be a white elephant. End of the day, the rich can afford anything! Business rules do not apply here.
Old 12th July 2021, 10:50   #13
BHPian

Thought a yacht was a personal boat, but puzzled with this shared facility. And it has a hotel in it!!! Why would someone pay money in a shared facility like this? Well I hope the builders recover their money, the buyers (if any) are anyway burning their cash.
Old 12th July 2021, 10:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Won't USD 11m get you a really nice personal yacht? Why would anyone pay for this - especially with covid around. Makes zero sense to me!
Old 12th July 2021, 11:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post

'Yacht Liner', measures 222 metres in length and will be ready by mid-2024. It will be built by Norwegian ship designers and builders, VARD, at a cost of around US$ 600 million.
Quote:

39 high-end apartments across six floors, along with a number of 7-star hotels, restaurants, bars and onboard beach clubs.
Quote:

The purchasing process will be by 'Invitation Only', with each of the houses having a starting price of US$ 11 million.
The above points indicate that:
  1. This boat will not be sold to one person, it will have multiple ownership.
  2. Even a Boeing 737 costs around USD 100-125 million. Yacht for $600 million? Agreed, rich people may like to splurge money but how many would splurge $600 million? And even if someone does spend this much, they are unlikely to spend these $600 million on one single asset.
  3. Thus, this isn't a Yacht. The term Yacht has been used for better publicity.
  4. Considering that the Yachts are highly personalized, I guess these will be made to order. No business would venture into making a 200+ meter "Yacht" without confirmed order and advance payment. So obviously, the boat will be used as a business asset, like a cruise. And hence, there must be some business plan already in place. All these posts are for creating a publicity buzz.
  5. The owners may be getting a few days of free stay every year, besides maybe profit share.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 12th July 2021 at 11:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks