Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 14:18   #16
BANNED

Re: Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway

Feels very good to see such positive changes happening. The current govt. is genuinely trying to do some good, at least as far as public infrastructure is concerned. New national highways are being built to last longer, the power grid is now better managed and greater digitization of central govt. services is happening.

I hope citizens appreciate the improving standards and make a conscious effort to not damage or deface public property.
Electromotive is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 15:04   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Any chance of Tejas being introduced in Chennai - Coimbatore route? It will surely reduce the travel time to atleast 6 hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by msa.30789 View Post
This line already has a Shatabdi which does the distance in 7 hrs and 30 mins and is under utilised
Thank You, @arunramaswamy and @msa.30789. The Tejas is an improved Shatabdi and so far as Chennai - Coimbatore goes, the existing Shatabdi can easily be speeded up to do the journey in 6.5 hours. The train I underutilized, like most premium trains in TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark water View Post
Are they still providing headphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
wonder how many passengers will use the screens even if it were working
Thank You @Dark water and @DigitalOne. They didn't provide headphones in this journey, and I personally see no reason for them to provide one. In my view, they should have drop down screens like in a Scania to screen a movie or something OR provide wi-fi so that passengers can view content on their mobile devices. Also, the reading lights are unnecessary since the cabin is always lit. Maintaining the screens isn't easy, plus is expensive too. General travellers don't have any regard for national property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazrox View Post
Any idea of the actual running time between MDU - TPJ please?
Thank You @jazrox. This train does MDU-TPJ via Dindigul in just under 2 hours. Madurai to Trichy by road takes around the same time since the road route is shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I took a trip on Day 2 when the train was launched from Chennai to Kodai Road

all the trains in the Chennai-Tirunelveli section could be speeded up much more - it appears to me that certain lobbies are at work to keep the trains slow in the section and also not introduce enough trains at convenient times.
Thank You @84.monsoon. The Tejas doesn't stop at Kodai Road anymore but stops at Dindigul Jn. now. You're right about the lobbies; plethora of options to travel by road but many Volvo and Scania operators aren't seen in action now post pandemic eg.SRM, KPN, Madurai Radha all not seen. Parveen is the only old name still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Helpful information
Thank You @Karvel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Feels very good to see such positive changes happening
Thank You @Electromotive. Yes, everytime I take a train journey, I see so many changes from level crossings becoming underpasses, stations undergoing revamp, journey times reducing, and overall cleanliness on a high everywhere. However, it is upto the travelling public to maintain cleanliness. This is only a dream, though.

Here is a clip of an old meter gauge train hauled by an electric loco on the same sector. I understand that in the 80s, the Chennai - Villupuram sector was the only electrified MG section in India. The train featured here used to then take 10 hours to cover 401km.
vigsom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 09:16   #18
BHPian

Brilliant! The railways have done their bit, now we have to do our bit and make sure we use the infrastructure with the respect it deserves.
Old 10th October 2021, 09:40   #19
KPR
BANNED

Excellent write up. For those travelling from Trichy to Chennai by flight it almost takes 3 hrs including all formalities and 4 hrs atleast by car at about ₹2500. So travelling by Tejas to Chennai at less than ₹ 750 is a big boon for Trichy people. Moreover this train departs from Trichy in the evening and reaches Chennai by night. So one day of office leave is saved as well.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 09:38   #20
BHPian

I still remember the days when we used to travel in Vaigai exp from Madurai to Chennai. The train, which starts from Madurai with a diesel loco would have an extended halt at Villupuram Jn. for the switch over to the electric loco. As days passed, this switchover was done at Trichy Jn. Now we have a fully electrified channel all the way till Kanyakumari. If you look from the 90s, the railways have taken a huge leap forward. Services have improved, overall cleanliness have improved, ticket booking experience have improved to name a few. Now it is up to us, the citizens to maintain it.
P.S: The tomato soup served in the vaigai exp is still my favorite
vjkamal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 19:07   #21
BHPian

This train journey was a trip down memory lane! The pictures brings back so many memories back....Its not the same old Trichirapolly!
Old 5th December 2021, 20:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

I travelled by this train from Chennai to Trichy during July'19 and enjoyed the journey. But afterward I did not take this train since I live at Chromepet and there is no halt at Tambaram. If I take this train I have to go all the way to Egmore and then return to Chromepet. Reaching home from Egmore will take at least an hour. A lot of people from the suburbs, especially south of St.Thomas mount skip this train due to this reason. I felt sad when the train was discontinued. Glad to know it is back in service.

Metre gauge Vaigai express was introduced during late 70's when I was a college student. It used to do 100+ speeds and had only two halts before Madurai. Villupuram which was a technical halt and TPJ which was a scheduled halt. The train was really fast for it's time. Then gradually more stops were added and the speed was diluted. Similarly when I travelled by Tamil Nadu Express to Delhi during 1981, the train left Madras Central at 7.10 AM and we were in Vijayawada for lunch at 12.10 PM for lunch! I remember Chennai - New Delhi took about 29 hours. There were only four halts en route, and the fifth halt was Delhi. The train was slowed down after a major accident near Sirpur Kagaz nagar. Then gradually it got more stops.

Last edited by Gansan : 5th December 2021 at 21:11.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 20:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates to this thread

Early 2022

1. The electric blinds gave way to pull down blinds like in the Shatabdi Expresses
2. Infotainment screens continued to remain off
3. Food service had resumed
4. Patronage had improved post "Unlock"

The cabin - note the pull down blinds
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejascc_msmdu_insideearly2022.jpg

Nice breakfast
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejascc_msmdu_bfast.jpg

Nov-2022

What's remained consistent

1. Timings - the train continues to cover the distance in never before timings
2. Food service - still the same but coffee and tea pre-mixes are provided. Coffee powder sachets can be obtained on request
3. Door sensors - still work flawlessly
4. Overall upkeep - good for the most part

What's dipped

1. Coaches are beginning to show their age - windows fogging up, glasses sporting watermarks
2. Washrooms - wet and smelly, sometimes clogged and sometimes rendered unusable
3. Infotainment screens were off earlier but the seats looked good with them in place. Now, the screens have been removed and the openings covered with laminate.

Seats in end-2021
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejascc_seats.jpg

Seats now - screens gone
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejascc_msmdu_screensgone1.jpg

Door sensors - I tried all of them out on all coaches and they were all working
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejas_doorsensor.jpg

Breakfast - same menu as of early 2022
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmdu_breakfast.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 25th November 2022 at 20:16.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 20:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Travel by Executive Class (EC)

I got an opportunity to try this class out, and it turned out to be a very good experience, barring a downer on account of a clogged and wet washroom. The washroom was clogged due to paper being dumped there. The on board housekeeping staff were quick to rectify it. I opine that the toilet paper must be done away with.

What sets the Executive Class of this train apart from other Tejas and Shatabdi Expresses is the rich leather/leatherette on the seats, and the seats themselves- extremely comfortable and classy. The link below will help readers appreciate these seats.

Food service was no different from the EC of other trains - they offered cornflakes with milk, plus a banana as add ons over what is offered in the AC Chair car.

The Executive Class coach right in front - one would have to walk 12 coaches to get to here, and then find the coach in the uncovered part of the platform at Chennai Egmore
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejas_fagendplatform.jpg

Inside the Executive Class coach
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmdu_inside.jpg

Executive Class seats - in great shape even after 3 years
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmdu_seats.jpg

Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmdu_seatback.jpg

The two buttons - one to operate the seat recline and the other to operate the calf/lower leg support
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_buttons.jpg

Coffee/tea and biscuits
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmducoffee.jpg

Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmdu_biscuits.jpg

Cornflakes in a nice porcelain bowl
Madurai-Chennai Tejas Express | The Jet of Southern Railway-tejasec_msmdu_cornflakes.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 25th November 2022 at 20:46.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks