Team-BHP - Volvo Bus India launches B11R multiaxle Sleeper coach ( officially built by Volvo )
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Volvo Bus India launches B11R multiaxle Sleeper coach ( officially built by Volvo ) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/245322-volvo-bus-india-launches-b11r-multiaxle-sleeper-coach-officially-built-volvo.html)

Volvo buses India has officially launched a Sleeper coach ( B11R model ). Note that these coaches aren't built by Prakash (Bangalore) or MG (Belgaum) but very much built by Volvo itself at their Hoskote plant, Bangalore. KSRTC, Kerala is the first one to order eight of these coaches.

Volvo Bus India launches B11R multiaxle Sleeper coach ( officially built by Volvo )-screenshot_20211206230023__01.jpg

Volvo Bus India launches B11R multiaxle Sleeper coach ( officially built by Volvo )-screenshot_20211206232038.jpg

Volvo Bus India launches B11R multiaxle Sleeper coach ( officially built by Volvo )-screenshot_20211206230102.jpg

Quote:

. The coach can accommodate 39 berths and provide for 12.5 cu.m of personal luggage space. The fully sealed saloon area features fire-retardant grade fabrics, plywood, cushions, and ABS surfaces that convey a premium feel while assuring of the highest levels of safety.

To maximise durability, the sleeper body has been built on a high-strength carbon steel structure, that has been coated with anti-corrosive paint. The coach is fully compliant with all relevant automotive standards and norms.

While cruising highways smoothly, the sleeper ensures comfortable and spacious berths with headrests for passengers along with dedicated small luggage space, mobile chargers, and a personal reading lamp. There is also a provision for a curtain between adjacent berths. The wide gangway with anti-skid vinyl flooring provides ample space for in-vehicle accessibility. The LED lamps endow the interiors with the right blend of aesthetics and functionality
Read more here - http://www.businessworld.in/article/...1-2021-412996/

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 5210422)
[b]Volvo buses India has officially launched a Sleeper coach ( B11R model ).

Do they offer it anywhere else or is this a “for India, by India” kind of a product?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 5210431)
Do they offer it anywhere else or is this a “for India, by India” kind of a product?

Looks like this is made only for the Indian market. On Google search, I don't seem to find even a single pic of Volvo sleeper bus in Sweden or any other European market. Apparently sleeper buses are outlawed in western countries ?? Not sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 5211290)
Looks like this is made only for the Indian market. On Google search, I don't seem to find even a single pic of Volvo sleeper bus in Sweden or any other European market. Apparently sleeper buses are outlawed in western countries ?? Not sure.

They are not allowed to be registered in most southern states too. There was one terrible accident that happened long back with KPN travels. All sleeper buses are registered in the north east.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anandhsub (Post 5211305)
They are not allowed to be registered in most southern states too. There was one terrible accident that happened long back with KPN travels. All sleeper buses are registered in the north east.

True that. Most sleeper buses are registered with NL, AR, OD etc. Karnataka too had briefly stopped I guess sometime in ?2015-16 but many new sleeper buses are back with KA registration. May be these Volvo built sleeper buses will be officially registered in southern states too.

More new buses?? I really hope these buses don't end up like the Volvos shown below. It's a sad sight and blatant misuse of taxpayer's money!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yE023wQ8cbM

As a comfort seeking creature, I'm a sucker for their modern, well suspensioned buses, especially after I discovered aches in bones and muscles unknown to me, after taking an ordinary bus in Himachal with a speedy sardar on a roller coaster ride to some mountain town!

I wonder if TBHP could get an interview with the design team to find out what the design goals were. If they are not boasting about the safety features, those were probably given very low priority.

Small Indian businesses are wary of youtubers whose tell-all videos elicit thousands of comments about the disgusting :) conditions in which their favorite foods are made, and I'm sure Volvo is keenly aware of backlash they would face if they revealed too much.

In any case, safe or not, I would take this Volvo over any other bus if I did not get a sleeper berth in a train.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 5211345)
More new buses?? I really hope these buses don't end up like the Volvos shown below. It's a sad sight and blatant misuse of taxpayer's money!

This is absolutely shocking to see! Thanks for sharing. It was always known that such assets are bound to be mistreated, but this is on a whole new level altogether. :mad:

Took a recent Volvo trip from Dharamshala to Delhi and came back impressed. It was the 9400 B8R. Though a little cramped, the suspension and handling were top-notch. Body roll was well-controlled and I had a nice sleep on the ~10 hour journey. Want to take the next ride with the 11R to get a feeling of luxury :cool:

A good bus is only as good as its driver. I've had good long distance journeys in a Volvo and slept really well and then I've had some horrible jerky ones in the same bus.

Karnataka's KSRTC operates quite a few sleeper buses. Would be good if they purchase some of the newer Volvos to operate on their more profitable routes

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 5210422)
[b]Volvo buses India has officially launched a Sleeper coach ( B11R model ).

Spectacular. For several years, I've travelled regularly on Volvo buses and have tremendously enjoyed those journeys. Canara Pinto was among the operators that had 2x1 Sleeper bus on the Mumbai - Mangalore sector very briefly and it was very, very comfortably. Other operators had a 2x2 Sleeper but then suddenly, there were none.

Back then, it was economics that played the biggest part, esp since Volvos had just become popular and no one was used to those ticket prices.

An official coach built by Volvo is bound to be well thought and designed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 5211345)

I think this has been across the board; for lack of regular maintenance (apathy + high costs), a lot of buses are discarded / cannibalised for spares.

Sleeper Volvo buses, a bit of a surprise for me. Never expected this from Volvo. As such bus travel in our country is not comfortable at all even in the Scanias and Volvos. Add to it the safety aspect. Not convinced that Volvo has taken the step in the right direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Worldchamp 2019 (Post 5212253)
A good bus is only as good as its driver. I've had good long distance journeys in a Volvo and slept really well and then I've had some horrible jerky ones in the same bus.

I am not sure about other states / travels. Most of the popular travel operators in AP and TS send their drivers for training to Volvo training center in KA. The drivers are well trained and rostered to work for 15 days in a month.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 5212422)
Spectacular. For several years, I've travelled regularly on Volvo buses and have tremendously enjoyed those journeys.
I think this has been across the board; for lack of regular maintenance (apathy + high costs), a lot of buses are discarded / cannibalised for spares.

Acquisition (capital exp) comes from a different budget head from Maintenance (recurring, revenue exp). They are rarely in lockstep. Such is the magic of government budgeting. Every new bus needs to provide for depreciation, maintenance, consumables, driver + attendant salary etc. There is rarely a corresponding increase in opex budget to pay for those.

I expect some of the parts would have been cannibalised for maintaining the rest of the fleet, but I would not be surprised to hear some parts have just been misplaced/ stolen.