Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2022, 21:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything

Hi, this is a good review, just that I feel GSRTC is way behind, KSRTC started Volvo/Benz domestic, inter, intra state, in-city more than a decade back.

I am new on the forum, please correct any errors in quoting a post.

One request is to edit the pic before they are posted for eg in the above pic you see a huge part of the pavement in pic, the same pic without it would make a huge difference.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th October 2022 at 19:06. Reason: Removed broken quote
Old 19th January 2022, 11:05   #32

Re: Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Volvo AC Seater

• White
• stock construction by Volvo
• 9400 series with one axle at the rear
• 46 recliner seats in a 2+2 formation
These Volvo seater buses are on wet lease from a private player in MH (Konduskar) who owns these buses, operate as well as maintains them. GSRTC pays them based on per km charges subject to minimum daily kms commitment and the private player is expected to maintain the standards as set in the agreement (punctuality, route adherence, cleanliness, etc.).
Old 10th March 2022, 17:45   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenoyshrikants View Post
These Volvo seater buses are on wet lease from a private player in MH (Konduskar) who owns these buses, operate as well as maintains them. GSRTC pays them based on per km charges subject to minimum daily kms commitment and the private player is expected to maintain the standards as set in the agreement (punctuality, route adherence, cleanliness, etc.).
Doesn't seem like it. These buses are registered to one Chartered Speed Ltd based out of Ahmedabad.
Old 11th March 2022, 12:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
Doesn't seem like it. These buses are registered to one Chartered Speed Ltd based out of Ahmedabad.
Yes, Chartered Speed is another vendor from whom GSRTC has been leasing buses. This is a widely adopted practice now a days from all SRTCs as well as City Bus undertakings where instead of buying and maintaining buses, they take them on wet lease. What vendor gets is a guaranteed revenue on the minimum committed kms of daily runs while the SRTC benefits from not having to worry about buying and maintaining buses. Lessor needs to ensure bus availability and punctuality as per service level agreements.
shenoyshrikants is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2022, 18:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- My first ride in a renewed GSRTC was by a Volvo seater sometime in Sep-2018,
- acknowledging the efforts of those countless crew members, workshops, and support staff that keep the wheels of transport corporations moving
Rode a GSRTC Volvo again this afternoon after close to two years. The 2018 manufactured bus was in excellent shape for a 5,89,000km done example. I acknowledge that 5,89,000km is nothing for a Volvo but still. Except some suspension rattles, the bus was fantastic. What amazed me was how neat the dashboard was - this is one area which wears out with time as the crew doesn't take good care of it. I've observed how a now non-existent private operator in TN would drill holes and add some unnecessary switches on the dashboard, and make the bus look crude.

Before the bus departed, I saw a staff member doing an inspection - of the engine bay, tyres, brakes, warnings on the dashboard and the like. The bus left on dot at 2pm and I was in my destination bang on time.

The clean dashboard - almost stock
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-gsrtcvolvo_2.jpg

Navigating slow moving trucks in all three lanes
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-gsrtcvolvo_1.jpg

The odo reading
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-gsrtcvolvo_odo.jpg

The Tapti
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-tapti.jpg

The Narmada
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-narmada_1.jpg

Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-narmada_2.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 21st July 2022 at 18:57.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 00:46   #36
BHPian

Experience with the newly added Electric AC buses
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-20221025_235323.jpg

source

Back in August 2021, BYD-Olectra announced that they had won the bid to supply 50 electric buses to GSRTC. Now this wasn't all that surprising considering how various state transport corporations are trying to "Go Green" for the lower costs and better public perception, but it definitely made me intrigued with their applications in this specific case.

The first batch of a few buses were delivered by March this year and two of those put on experimental basis for the Vadodara-Ahmedabad sector. As soon as I read this news I wanted to try them but the uncertainty over schedules and lack of reservation facilities made me nervous to try it out. Now, finally GSRTC has inducted these buses properly and they now offer 4 schedules both ways between Vadodara and Ahmedabad and I decided to give it a shot.

About the buses
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-img_20221021_183617.jpg

The buses are made by Olectra in partnership with chinese EV giant BYD. The model used here is the K7D in the nine metre length. The bus seats about 33 people and comes with facilities such as USB charging. The fare is priced a good 70-80 bucks lower than comparable Volvo fares. They are painted in a bright orange colour and procured under the FAME II scheme of the central government.

My Experience
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-img_20221014_183834.jpg

On first impressions, the bus looked quite tiny in front of the mighty AL Vikings and Volvo 9400s that stood besides and with reason. This was a semi-low floor bus and quite short as well. As you climb inside you are treated to grey interiors with dull blue seats. Do note that there is no centre armrest here. Interestingly enough, the seats are not all at the same level and depending on your luck, you might get underseat storage or not.

Another peculiar flaw I noticed was the seat numbers were totally different from those shown while booking your ticket so whereas I had booked a first row seat, it turned out it was actually the last one. The parcel shelf is also incredibly tiny and good for nothing more than a small camera bag.
Gujarat State Road Transport Corporation (GSRTC) | Transformation from nothing to everything-img_20221021_193308.jpg

On the plus side, the interiors did look reasonably modern and being brand new, were spotless and neat(although I'm afraid that would change soon). The lack of luggage space and useless parcel shelf also meant that passengers had no choice but to dump their bags besides the emergency exit which can be extremely dangerous.

Once everybody was seated, the bus started moving and almost immediately you notice the NVH(rather the absence of it) and brisk acceleration. It was a boon to not be sitting on top of a vibey diesel engine like the Volvos and be freed from the incessant engine lugging done by Volvo drivers. The compact dimensions also meant a more effortless exit out of the busy roads of old Ahmedabad. The absence of a gearbox also plays excellently and allows the bus to build up speed without any hesitation. The air suspension came as a blessing in disguise over potholes and I actually felt it to be tuned better than the 9400s.

Out on the expressway, it was doing the standard 75-80kmph speeds as is the limit governed for commercial vehicles. At this speed, it was comfortable and silent which would ordinarily mean a peaceful power nap if only for the cramped interiors and luggage strewn around. Another interesting thing I noticed was that people often didn't realise the bus was behind them(due to the silent powertrain) and hence the horn had to be generously used.

While we didn't arrive on time as expected, I wouldn't blame the bus for it since we were stuck in an unusual traffic jam for quite a while.

Overall impressions are that the Bus is quite good, genuinely so but very much unsuited to this route and use case. It will be excellent in other profiles like school buses and intra-city duties but otherwise, it's only worth the novelty of travelling in it. It truly boggles me about how the authorities couldn't choose a better suited model for this application.

Would I take it again? Perhaps, no. Would I recommend it? For the novelty, yes. Although the Volvo is just more practical and that's that. I would definitely prefer paying the premium for it but don't regret trying the EV either. It was a fun journey and a new experience. Lesson learnt I guess.

PS. Sorry for the poor pics, was in a hurry and could not get them in daylight.

Last edited by porsche_guy : 26th October 2022 at 00:53.
porsche_guy is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 17:47   #37
RRM
BHPian

Thanks for this post. Bangalore BMTC has started city electric buses and it is seriously quiet. I went past it in 2w and it was dead silent except for some clanks. Haven’t seen any long distance electric buses yet. Might be planned for near future.

It will take sometime for people to get used to the silence. Hopefully the flaws will get resolved in subsequent version
Old 27th October 2022, 21:12   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRM View Post
Thanks for this post. Bangalore BMTC has started city electric buses and it is seriously quiet.
A funny thing about the Lilac colored BMTC electric buses is that it's front looks very similar to the rear of the buses one may be familiar with. Once I was entering the ORR from a service road and for a moment I felt a bus is reversing in wrong direction towards me, in the ORVM. They have puny vertically stacked headlights and the taller AC unit in the front.

See this tweet for a graphical representation of these buses.
impala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 00:18   #39
BHPian

I had the opportunity to ride in one of these back in 2016 during a visit to client office. This was essentially their office bus to pick-up and drop employees. That bus was a low floor model and had a small luggage space on the side. The interiors were sparse, I felt the seat cushion was really thin. I chalked it out to weight reduction.

Overall, it can be a competent replacement for aging fleets in our state transport. It will need good amount of testing to handle our "roads" and typical over crowding of the bus and the adverse reaction on the batteries. Last thing you need is a over heated bus coming to a halt on a flyover or main road and bringing traffic to a stand still.
Old 28th October 2022, 08:41   #40
BHPian

Very nice review. It surely is a good initiative by the GSRTC. I am just intrigued about the range of those buses and how economically viable they are. Are there any fast charging points on the way? Sure, this could be implemented everywhere, i just feel that it is best to replace the city buses with the electric ones rather that the inter city buses.
Old 5th December 2022, 20:30   #41
BHPian

We are planning for a visit to Gujrat. Port of entry and exit to Gujrat is Ahmedabad(AMD). However we are visiting Dwarka and Somnath. Unfortunately the all our train bookings are in WLs(Multiple of them) and we are unable to find any overnight Volvo/Benz bus service between Ahmedabad --> Dwarka and Somnath/Veraval --> Ahmedabad.

Any help/pomters would be appreciated interms of pointing to Volvo bus service.
Old 3rd February 2024, 20:09   #42

Quote:
Category-wise experience
I had one question regarding these Buses, are all of these buses [Regular, Express, Gurjarnagari, Sleeper+Seater] coach built by inhouse workshops or by private coach builders like Azad, MG. In wikipedia they mention that in 2018 they had a centralized workshop in Ahmedabad however there's no information where and how they used to build bus coaches before 2018

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd February 2024 at 20:38. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please quote selectively as a large quoted post inconveniences small screen mortal users. :) Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks