Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2022, 16:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Review: Mumbai to Bengaluru by Karnataka SRTC Ambaari Dream Class | A long time dream comes true

Great writeup. Brings memories when I moved to Bengaluru for job 30 years ago. All travel happened by buses overnight.

I also loved travelling in Kempu bus (Red buses) as they were called in Karnataka for inter city ones during day time. Very simple ones, rexine seats. Loved looking outside the window with wind rushing over your face. Also helped you to be among people, talk to them, share newspapers, magazines etc
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 16:57   #32
BHPian

Re: Review: Mumbai to Bengaluru by Karnataka SRTC Ambaari Dream Class | A long time dream comes true

Thank you for this review. This thread brings to me nostalgia for my home state of Karnataka.

While Kerala has legally won the rights to acronym "KSRTC", reading through this thread it seems that in most minds, KSRTC means Karnataka SRTC.

KSRTC is relatively a better run state RTC compared to other states but it is very far from perfect and has all the deficiencies of state run organizations. It just shows how bad other state RTCs are. I hear that APSRTC was at the top few years back before it went downhill.
Theyota is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 17:45   #33
BHPian

One of the reasons these drivers don't speed is because they are also given a mileage target and is very strictly monitored. During one of my Mumbai Bangalore trip in Club Class few years back we were stuck in Pune due to very bad traffic and driver was saying he will not be able to make up the lost time as he cant speed up as he will end up consuming more diesel which will have an impact and i cant recollect what was the penalty imposed.
pudarsanketh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 22:13   #34
BHPian

Great review sir! One of those rare reviews on the forum This brings back my bachelor days memories of overnight journeys between Bangalore and my hometown (Coastal Karnataka) in those sleeper coaches. My bus travels are reduced since COVID started. I don't remember boarding a bus in last 2 years. But I must say that, Karnataka SRTC has some great sleeper coaches which are super comfortable for long journeys. Thanks for this travelogue, enjoyed reading it

Cheers,
RAHS
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 22:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review, enjoyed it to the hilt! Though I prefers long train journeys, I've had to travel by bus often mainly due to sudden trips and non-availability of train reservations.

During my teens (I'm now a Sr Citizen), I have made many trips in Orissa between Cuttack and Berhampur. Those days the buses were ramshackle ones, non-AC, with shuddering window glasses. Then came the mini-buses that were less uncomfortable.

But the biggest step forward was in the early 2000s when Volvos were deployed. I've made quite a few trips from Hyderabad to Mumbai/ Vizag/Bangalore and could notice the huge difference in comfort, even though those were non-sleeper buses. I then made a couple of trips on sleeper buses, and though they provided more comfort, I could never sleep in them, especially due to to strong deceleration while braking. I then found that berths that were vertically aligned to the direction of travel were a bit more comfortable, because when braking, only the feet/ head move towards the partition during strong braking.

But believe me, I could never get enough sleep because the buses had to brake ever so often at toll gates and for other reasons.

Nevertheless, I'd surely like to give this new class of Volvo a try. And can anyone tell me how Scania buses are different from Volvos? Never travelled in a Scania this far.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 00:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Brought back some old memories when I used to travel from Bengaluru to Pune in these KSRTC buses on weekends
I always used to take this bus instead of a flight, reason was simple: The cheapest flight was available at 5.30 AM, that would mean waking up at 3 AM after a tiring day in office, then taking a cab to the airport and doing the usual check-in and stuff all this while trying to be awake, then increasing stomach acidity levels by eating at odd hours, then I would be half asleep all day after reaching Pune.

Instead of flight, the bus would leave at 9 or 10 PM from Kempegowda Bus Station, I would have my dinner and sleep in the bus at around 12 or 1AM, and wake up directly at 7 AM nice and fresh. The bus would reach Pune by 8 AM or 10 AM depending on which one you took. It was much less tiring compared to flight.

Have some hilarious memories or travelling in these buses, maybe for a later time

For those who have doubts about KSRTC buses (specifically)
1. They are fairly punctual, only delayed by traffic or external factors. They will even call you if you don't show up at the right time, but wont wait for a long time.
2. They have two drivers, One sleeps while other drives, they are swapped mid-journey (Not sure how it is now, this was back in 2013-2014)
3. Buses are clean, earlier they used give water bottles and blankets.
4. These are owned by Karnataka government, drivers usually are well dressed, well mannered, and co-operative, adhere to speed limits and drive responsibly. In general, they are extremely safe. This is in stark contrast to some private operators who drive these Volvos like idiots. I stopped using them after KSRTC experience.
5. The passengers in these buses are usually decent middle-class educated people, so you won't expect any untoward incidents or unruly behaviours.
6. Lady travellers are usually accommodated next to seats/berths reserved by other lady travellers on their booking website. The conductor can request passengers to club single lady passengers on two adjacent seats if requested (Airaavat class).
7. Usually the places they halt have cleaner restrooms, but it still pays to have good bowel control This is the only one thing I really want to see improving across India.
NiInJa is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 07:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank You all for chipping in with your memories, experiences and questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadiMaama View Post
HiTech City Bangalore Dream Class
Thank You, @MadiMaama. That is a Prakash built Volvo sleeper. On closer inspection of the sides , I found that the MG Starz had a rather flattish side while the Prakash had the slight curvy sides (like stock Volvos). The sample picture I posted in post #15 of this thread is of a Prakash built Volvo sleeper and not an MG Starz; error regretted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun_S View Post
When reversing, did you observe the tag axle going in opposite direction to help in easier turns?
Thank You @Arun_S; yes, the tag axle turns and that is what gives this long coach an insane turning radius which helps it go in and out of crazy lanes, fuel stations and what not. Here is a sample pic.

Review: Mumbai to Bengaluru by Karnataka SRTC Ambaari Dream Class | A long time dream comes true-volvob11r_tagaxle.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
KSRTC has knocked it out of the park with this service. I'd imagine they'll have this on their other ultra long routes as well: eg. Bangalore - Shirdi?

I was always told, politely but firmly, that I was to be seated because a) safety, b) they were instructed to not engage with passengers and focus on driving.
Yes, @libranof1987, the Ambaari Dream Class service is available on the Bengaluru - Shirdi route. On conversation with drivers, even when I was seated in the jump seat for a while, I'd only reply to the driver when he made a statement, but never ever turned and looked at him while speaking OR asked him anything when he was driving. I was just observing him concentrating on the road ahead and monitoring the ORVMs. It is quite a task to drive this long and tall bus, and curb the temptation to cross defined speed limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
can anyone tell me how Scania buses are different from Volvos?
Thank You @vnabhi. I've travelled Scanias in TN and, as a passenger, found them much more silent and the seats, more comfortable over the Volvo. However, the drivers would always vouch for Volvos. I spoke to one Ronaldo who was a pilot with SRM Transports. He'd say the Scania was lower on fuel efficiency, plus the braking system was sightly more complicated on the Scania. Didn't get details, though.

Last edited by vigsom : 16th June 2022 at 07:33.
vigsom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 07:43   #38
BHPian

KSRTC services are excellent in general. Safe, fairly clean, punctual, comfortable, pleasant.
Kerala rtc also runs volvos and scanias, but they are best avoided. Very unpleasant staff, horrible dangerous driving - it's terrifying to sit right behind the driver. The buses are in pathetic condition - I don't know how they've managed to screw up a volvo/Scania suspension so badly. And to add to it, the drivers drive it like one of the ordinary buses - feel sorry for the vehicle.
KSRTC not giving water bottles - isn't this a good thing? Why add to the plastic mountain? Just carry a water bottle!
surfatwork is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 10:29   #39
BHPian

Are all the routes covered by the Ambaari Dream Class listed somewhere? I couldn't find this information on their website.
Old 16th June 2022, 11:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Introduction

This is a review cum travel experience on my longest roadway ride this far – 1000 km from Mumbai to Bengaluru by an unusual mode of travel viz. a Karnataka SRTC Volvo Sleeper, christened Ambaari Dream Class. This coach comes with a host of features, misses out on some essential bits, but the overall experience was out of the ordinary.
Excellent review Vigsom.

Your thread has made me recall the multiple Bangalore-Mumbai journeys i have done in Airavat class Volvo/Scania semi-sleeper buses of KSRTC.
I have been a regular traveler on these since 2013 with at least 3-4 journeys every year untill COVID came, last journey being in December 2019.

When i started back in 2013 i remember the ticket was around 650-700rs its around 2000rs now. The service levels have always been the best.

Friendly staff, never had a untidy bus, always on time, never heard of any thefts, drivers mostly driving in a very safe manner.

Just once i had taken a private bus Bangalore to Mumbai and promised never again, if it has to be an bus travel it would only be KSRTC.

I would generally take the 6:00pm bus from Majestic which would reach Malad by around 1:30-2:00.
I personally found this timing to be very good as it masked the 19+hr journey pretty well.
: Bus would leave Majestic sharp 6:00 (hallmark of KSRTC), conductor would handover clean blankets and a small bottle of water.
: Conductor would start a movie (mostly hindi) on the 2 screens the bus had. Inspite of multiple options available on mobile i somehow enjoyed watching the movie on the screen in the bus, again depends on the movie.
: By the time you finish the movie its almost 9:00/9:30pm and the first halt of the journey for Dinner.
: Restart post dinner, go to sleep.
: Around 7:00am, somewhere near Satara ( i have entered home territory ), wake up and halt to refresh and have Breakfast.
: Enjoy the views of western ghat, reach pune around 9:30/10:00
: Another movie starts, watch that or enjoy the views of Express highway.
: Halt somewhere near Khopoli for snacks.
: Enter Vashi by 12:00, Malad by 1:30/2:00, depending on traffic.

In contrast the Train journey takes 24hrs to mumbai and didnt feel as enjoyable as the bus.

Personally i felt the Khopoli halt is unnecessary, could easily reduce 30 mins off the total time and make the journey faster.

Would love to take this journey once again, hopefully soon.
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 11:44   #41
PVS
BHPian

Thanks Vigsom for a detailed travel report on board the Ambari Dream Class.
I happened to take a marathon run in the second longest(in terms of route Kms covered) Ambari Dream class service - Mangalore to Hyderabad in January this year, and unfortunately ended up getting the last lower berth (single), as all the other berths had filled up. I concur your views on the engine noise being very pronounced, especially in the last bay. Luckily, I was able to sleep for the night in the upper berths in the last bay, as the pax had not turned up. The ride comfort and overall ambience is pleasing though.

Due to lack of toilets on board, bus journeys need careful planning, especially on the amount of food one eats, prior to commencement of journey. I tend to eat light prior to a bus journey, so as not to put much pressure on the bladder.

Nowadays, I tend to avoid long distance bus travels as much as possible, unless I absolutely do not have any other option.
PVS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 12:52   #42
BHPian

Correct me if I wrong, if i saw it right in one of the images, the driver isn't wearing seatbelts? In case of mishap at that high speeds, he will be thrown out of the windshield:-(
Old 16th June 2022, 12:53   #43
BHPian

Wonderful review @vigsom. I always book in KSRTC if available because they are cleaner compared to other SRTC/private operators and also keep their premium buses well maintaned. I have travelled in even 10+ year old Volvos which have aged well.

KSRTC Volvo Sleepers were introduced just before covid. That is around Dec2019 or Jan 2020. They were procured by two prominent builders MG and Prakash. The one posted below (rear image ) is of Prakash Built christened Volvo Celeste. And the other one is MG built Starz in which you have travelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

Sample pic of an MG Starz Volvo Sleeper
Attachment 2320807

Sample image of a factory built Volvo Sleeper
Attachment 2320809

Rare image of a factory Volvo sleeper and an MG Starz Volvo sleeper next to each other - captured by me 2 days back on an onward journey
Attachment 2320808
avaneesh. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 19:41   #44
BHPian

Hey Vigsom, as always a brilliant thread and your public transport threads are a delight to read!

Even Karnataka SRTC might use this as promo stuff. The content is that good. Glad to see you fulfill your dream bus ride

Yes, you did the right thing by using the metro as traffic can get cumbersome in Bangalore.

FYI, this is the 3rd longest bus route in India, the 2nd being Bangalore-Vizag by APSRTC( 1050 km) and the first being Bangalore-Jodhpur(2,000km) run by multiple travels. Yes, you can check on redbus too!

If you're still in Bangalore, we can catch up for a coffee!
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 19:54   #45

Re: Review: Mumbai to Bengaluru by Karnataka SRTC Ambaari Dream Class| A long time dream comes true

Excellent Review.
Made me nostalgic and reminded me of all my regular night travels between Pune and Bangalore (Airavat) close to 10 years ago!!

Easy online booking
Water bottles were provided.
AC was really chilled.
Saw some nice Kannada movies on the bus
Drivers were friendly.
Reached Pune/Blr sharp in 14 hours (mostly)
Speed really scared me sometimes, but I slept off on most nights with a prayer on my lips.
Most passengers were IT guys.
Safe for female passengers.
Preferred to MSRTC

Glad to know that excellent service continues.
RohanDeshmukh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks