Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2022, 13:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Delhi: Entry of heavy vehicles banned from October 1

With an aim to curb vehicular pollution, the Delhi government has announced that it would ban all medium and heavy vehicles from entering the city from October 1, 2022 to February 28, 2023.

Name:  trucks.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  43.0 KB

High levels of air pollution are recorded in the national capital during the winter months starting from October. Besides vehicles, stubble burning is one of the major contributors to this.

It is estimated, around 70,000-80,000 trucks enter Delhi every day. Out of these, only CNG-powered commercial vehicles, e-trucks and vehicles carrying essential goods like vegetables, fruits, grains, eggs, ice, milk and petroleum products will be allowed to enter the city.

The Delhi government has also requested neighbouring states of Haryana and Uttar Pradesh to allow BS6-compliant buses to enter the city from October 1.

Source: LiveMint

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 14:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Delhi: Entry of heavy vehicles banned from October 1

Some much needed action against some heavy polluters. Long distance trucks anyway have no business plying inside the city, they can take the peripheral expressway. Hope this ban covers trucks carrying bricks and sand. Construction activity is stopped during the pollution months, but the restrictions usually remain on paper. If the trucks stop, so will construction. If not entirely than at least partially.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 21:21   #3

The Trucks not destined for Delhi are anyways not allowed to enter and have to take the WP/EP expressways.
Not sure if this is a good move, trucks from other states destined for Delhi could not be expected to be running on CNG.
sahil1010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 22:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Good move and informed timely, unlike in the past when the announcements were made only after an extreme rise.

Delhi is one of the big business hubs; even today, thousands of trucks enter every night for delivery of cargo meant for some of the largest wholesale markets in India, be it Industrial goods, spices and whatnot. Most of this material is sold to smaller businesses across North India and then shipped out of Delhi.

I hope this ban encourages more and more people to shift their godowns outside Delhi.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th June 2022 at 22:19.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 09:45   #5
BHPian

Hi, to me it looks like a move by the GNCT of Delhi to pre-empt a move by the Central Government who is considering filing an application before the Supreme Court to lift the ban on diesel vehicles which are more than 10 years old. The Centre is harping on One Nation One Rule and is in the process of collecting data on vehicular pollution (diesel) and its contribution, during winters.
manver786 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2022, 11:15   #6
BHPian

Glad that tough rules are being made, I just hope they are enforced too. Whenever I am driving around and when we pass any truck or tempo carrying loads or garbage, most of them are spewing black smoke and my wife always asks me if emission rules do not apply on these. For some reason city police tend to ignore these mostly because most of the operators have a fixed amount that gets paid to enforcement authorities. I hope more cities take a note this and implement and enforce similar rules.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:02   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

As it always happen, Cherry picking poor truckers when the cause lies somewhere else.

Majority of pollution during above time is caused by stubble burning in PB & HR & weather induced factors ( cold heavy air during winters). Politics behind this move is that govt of Delhi cannot blame PB for pollution anymore so optics have started early. Anyways, almost all trucks in Delhi used CNG as fuel. This move with have zero effect on overall situation.

On the opposite this will push transportation costs upwards for traders. Anyway, only Delhi bound trucks enter Delhi & numbers. Everybody else takes EPE and bypass Delhi easily..
.sushilkumar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 21:23   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Majority of pollution during above time is caused by stubble burning in PB & HR & weather induced factors ( cold heavy air during winters)
But mentioning or banning this may hurt people's feelings and might even cause riots and protests. So hurt the one who cannot fight back, i.e. the tax paying common man (hence the 10/15 rule). That's the easiest way out for NGT and Delhi govt.
vredesbyrd is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks