Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2022, 11:33   #16
BHPian

Re: First AC Class in an LHB Coach Train | My First Class Experience

I do Mumbai - Baroda a couple of times a year. Used to prefer a flight but now we have a 2 year old girl and realized during the last year, post taking a train - 1st class coupe, trains are is much better suited. Its clean, the coupe makes it child friendly and once we are seated the journey is extremely peaceful. Plus we live 10 minutes from Mumbai Central. Therefore the 4.5 hour door to door train journey in train beats a 3.5 hour (door to door) flight as it avoids long cab ride to the airport, airport check in, security check, wait to board, boarding ques, deboarding, waiting for luggage etc.

Big thumbs up to Indian Railways!
mindshack is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 11:56   #17
BHPian

I'm not nitpicking but why our first class of Indian Railway is so pathetic?

Look at first class of train in Iran, so good so cheap only 900 INR (equivalent) for 900 KMs.

IP_Man is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 13:06   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindshack View Post
Therefore the 4.5 hour door to door train journey in train beats a 3.5 hour (door to door) flight as it avoids long cab ride to the airport, airport check in, security check, wait to board, boarding ques, deboarding, waiting for luggage etc.
For distances under 800km, I almost always prefer taking a train. Flight has just become too much of a hassle these days- getting to the airport through Bangalore traffic, the drama of security check, how utterly slow the entire process is at Bangalore airport and the hassle of getting transport from the airport even at your destination. The almost inevitable 'rescheduling/consolidating flights for operational reasons'. The ridiculous prices for airport and airline food. Plus the worsening attitude of the airline and security staff, they behave as if they are doing you a favour.

In most cases, there will be an overnight train where I can sleep peacefully and be delivered in the center of the city. Can walk around and stretch, talk to fellow passengers. Plus Indian railways has made improvements every year, the trains and platforms are much cleaner these days. Prefer trains to flights any day.

Last edited by am1m : 12th July 2022 at 13:12.
am1m is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:55   #19
BHPian

I'd like to recount my recent horrible experience on a long distance travel by Train. I travelled from Bangalore to Delhi on the YPR-DEE Duronto express which as per schedule should take about 32 hours to cover this distance. (It's about 1.5 hours faster than even the Rajdhani on the same route).
We all know that Duronto is one of the premium super-fast services offered by the Indian Railways and is considered at par with Rajdhani and shatabdi.

I booked a confirmed ticket via IRCTC about 1.5 months in advance, all good so far. About 2 weeks before the journey date, I get a message telling that "your train has been diverted between Secunderabad Jn and Itarsi Jn, will not be touching ballarshah". I then cross-check the schedule and timings of the train and it still shows the same timings. Same departure timing from Bangalore and same arrival timing at Delhi. So I just ignore the message and let it be.

The day of journey arrives and I reach the station well before time and settle down on my berth for the long journey ahead. Next morning the train reaches Secunderabad about 20 mins. behind schedule. 20 mins being well within acceptable limits I'm still relaxed and not too fussed about it. Out of nowhere I overhear a pantrycar attendant mentioning "train toh 8 ghanta late hogi". I then enquire "8 ghanta kaise". He responds "Woh duusra raasta lega na". And bang, I recollect the diversion message and it dawns on me, that the diversion will cause a significant delay.

The journey on the diversion was atrocious to say the least. The so called premium service duronto was being run like a passenger train. Stopping randomly at several halts for hours together. No idea of the route which is being taken, all passengers extremely frustrated. Me cursing myself for choosing duronto over the rajdhani.
By the time it got back to the original route at Itarsi Jn. it was 9 hours behind schedule. And by the time we reached Delhi, it was 13 hours behind schedule. All my plans for the day had gone for a toss.

Post this fiasco I have the below questions to the railways.
If the diversion was planned and announced well before the travel date. Why wasn't the schedule revised as well. Why wasn't the arrival timing at Delhi updated accordingly. If a pantry car attendant can predict the delay, surely even the railway officials can.
If I've paid for a premium service where dynamic pricing is applicable, shouldn't I be eligible for a refund for such a massive delay. Specially when the diversion was not last moment and was planned well in advance.

The rules mention that you're eligible for a refund if the train is delayed by 3 hours or more provided, you haven't travelled on that train. No question of a refund if you've travelled on the train irrespective of however long the delay is.

It had been a long time since I had undertaken a long distance travel via train and I was quite excited about this journey to be honest, considering it was going to be my first time in a duronto. But the entire episode left me with an extremely negative impression.
greatgyan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 17:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
Nice writeup. I am yet to travel in the first class Anything i should check for or keep in mind?
I travelled by Ist AC when I got married and the reason was 70kg luggage allowance. Must note that the coupe will be allotted later and you will get only confirmed ticket with no number. Add to the fact that there is privacy(peace) and more cleanliness.
sukhbirST is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 19:57   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
TN express 1AC was a different league. The upholstery was fabric in place of usual rexine. Food is nothing to write home about, its more or less the same you get elsewhere.
Thank You, @narayans80; Tamil Nadu Express was, is, and will forever be a class ahead of the rest. So far as food goes, there's been little change from the 70s till now. Except for the quality of meals on a few trains which has improved significantly, the tea, for example, is as watery and bland as it used to be several decades ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shresan23 View Post
I am yet to travel in the first class segment of Indian Railways. Anything i should check for or keep in mind?
Nothing, @shresan23, except that you should enjoy the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
I travelled by Ist AC when I got married and the reason was 70kg luggage allowance
Thank You, @sukhbirST. Luggage allowance for a new couple travelling is a huge boon; can relate to it because we travelled with almost 100 kg luggage cross-country after marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Has anyone noticed the lock to the odour controller!
Thank You, @coolmind. Forget the odour controller, one can see the soap dispenser in toilets also sealed so that they aren't stolen. All this is because we people love to pilfer stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Tejas coaches are good but due to speed, I couldn't sleep well
Thank You Doc. Surprised that you couldn't rest. My experience in trains is that I sleep better when on the upper berth. The lower can allow body rattles to creep in and disturb sleep. The worst berth to travel in is the side lower in 2AC, 3AC and sleeper. Sideways displacement of the train can shake one out of deepest of slumber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
My most memorable 1 AC journey was by Pandian Express from Madurai to Madras. This was during my childhood and ages and ages ago.

The worst was my travel 2 weeks back from Hyd to Blr by the Garib Rath; experience the side middle. Torture is a lesser word
Thank You, @jkrishnaj; two extreme experiences. Was the 1AC in Pandyan the meter gauge one?

The worst train to travel in is Garib Rath, and the side middle deserves a na-real award for the best innovation, or a real award for the most torturous innovation. Shame on whoever even thought of this. They'd even converted regular 3ACs to sport this rotten arrangement in 2009, but fortunately the arrangement was withdrawn after protests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindshack View Post
taking a train - 1st class coupe, trains are is much better suited as it avoids long cab ride to the airport, airport check in, security check, wait to board, boarding ques, de-boarding, waiting for luggage etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
For distances under 800km, I almost always prefer taking a train. Flight has just become too much of a hassle these days- getting to the airport through Bangalore traffic, the drama of security check, utterly slow process at Bangalore airport and the hassle of getting transport from the airport . Prefer trains to flights any day.
Agree with both of you, @mindshack and @am1m. To cite an example - I was scheduled to travel from Surat to Hyderabad in 2008 to attend a program in ASCI. I had two options - a) take a train from Surat to Mumbai in the night and a flight from there to Hyderabad, and a cab from Airport to ASCI OR b) take a train straight from Surat to Secunderabad. I tried the latter and it was much easier for me to reach my destination. All I needed to do was leave office approx. 4 hours earlier and I was in ASCI in around the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
I'm not nit-picking but why our first class of Indian Railway is so pathetic?
Thank You, @IP_Man. We, in India, don't deserve such trains because we do not know how to keep them well. One look at loos at the end of a train journey is proof enough of how neat we keep places. Added to that, the folks designing the inside of coaches are using the same old designs for berths because they haven't thought of something better. All the "show-baazi" is on the outside. Let me add that the quality of coaches now is zilch compared to the build, say, 10 years earlier. This is true for cars, home appliances, everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
The diversion was atrocious; the so called premium service Duronto was stopping randomly at several halts
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, @greatgyan. Diversions happen because of some work on the rail infrastructure which requires a block. As a traveller, I always look out for blocks by referring to messages or Exceptional Trains tab under www.trainenquiry.com. Once a train is diverted, that is the end of timekeeping. I've faced diversions due to derailment and spent an extra 11 hours on 2 occasions.

Last edited by vigsom : 12th July 2022 at 20:10.
vigsom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 20:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Have to ask, did you take a shower?

My only 1AC experience was probably a decade back in Delhi - Sealdah Rajdhani when my 2AC seat was upgraded to a 1AC! I was happy with the extra space (the birth was a tad bit wider or so it felt to me), and the way food was served with proper cutlery (taste wasn’t much different though).

It was a short overnight journey of 16-17 hours and I made a mental note to book one specifically for a later trip, but it never happened!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 22:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Thank You, @jkrishnaj; two extreme experiences. Was the 1AC in Pandyan the meter gauge one?

The worst train to travel in is Garib Rath, and the side middle deserves a na-real award for the best innovation, or a real award for the most torturous innovation. Shame on whoever even thought of this. They'd even converted regular 3ACs to sport this rotten arrangement in 2009, but fortunately the arrangement was withdrawn after protests.
Yes indeed. It was the meter guage one. Most childhood train journey memories were the meter guage ones - eg Rockfort/Vaigai etc.

Just today, I booked a Bangalore-Hyd-Bangalore round trip by 2AC and in the Rajdhani express for my travel of next week. I’m hoping the coaches are clean in my return. I’m fully aware that the train has covered a lot of distance between Delhi-Hyd and I’m bound to encounter stinky loos and tired fellow passengers. Let’s see how that goes.

I must say this, I sleep very well in the trains. I don’t give eye contact to fellow passengers in the morning because I know I must have snored to glory through the night.

I’ve learned to avoid the Garib Rath now. I can never take the risk of a ticket that can be SL/SM/SU berths. I hope they remove the side middle ones.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 12th July 2022 at 22:37. Reason: Added details
jkrishnakj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 00:10   #24
BHPian

I just came back from Guj on board the Saurashtra Janta express. Was in the 2A though. What I really like about IR in particular is the fact that house keeping is in house now. The wash rooms were reasonably clean. But surprisingly the toilets weren't marked Indian or Western. High time they made all western coz on the move, Indian doesn't make sense.
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 01:27   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

Added to that, the folks designing the inside of coaches are using the same old designs for berths because they haven't thought of something better. All the "show-baazi" is on the outside. Let me add that the quality of coaches now is zilch compared to the build, say, 10 years earlier. This is true for cars, home appliances, everything.
Nice thread, vigsom along with your other train threads which I read and loved!!! It was always in my bucket list to travel in 1 AC but I am more of a Bus and car person as I don't enjoy crowds in Indian railway stations or trains. In the past, I never liked the cleanliness or lack of it even in AC coaches. Another important reason is that my home in Chennai and Bangalore was always far from Railway station, so preferred Bus or car even when I have to drive alone.

However there was a time when both me and my wife have to shuttle in the Chennai-Bangalore route for couple of years. We liked Shatabdi a lot especially the first class for its leg room and non intrusive nature of the crowd. We traveled the double decker also sometimes but the leg room is horrible as well the seating in the lower deck is not to my liking. I have heard rave reviews about Tejas trains in Chennai - Madurai route and will surely explore it once.

I booked a Suvidha Special train for an emergency in May to Nagercoil and it takes the cake for the award of worst possible coach. IR has resurrected condemned sleeper coaches from Junkyard and converted them to AC coaches. For the atrocious price I paid (4K for 3AC), it has fans in AC coaches to get some circulation for lower and side lower berths apart from the dirtiest, broken berths. No wonder people prefer AC sleeper bus at Rs. 1500 to Rs. 2000. I vowed not to get into trains again and returned by AC sleeper bus. But as fate have it, now things changed in the work front and need to shuttle between Hyderabad and Chennai each few weeks and given the long journey, I ended up with trains. In fact I was planning to use bus only but chanced upon that Charminar express now starts from Tambaram itself which is near to my home.

Your point is correct that IR is struck in time warp in every aspect from coach design, connectivity, ergonomics, etc but outer livery and cleanliness has become good in coaches and in select stations. Another nice addition is the food ordering from outside restaurants and delivered to seat in upcoming stations. Enjoyed smoking hot Domino's pizza delivered to my seat at Kazipet station in the last journey.

On the interior, the AC vents or just AC pores either makes the Upper berth too cold or lower berth (especially the side lower) a bit warm because of poor air circulation in both 2AC or 3AC. Also, I don't know why they cannot provide charging points for each passenger (Side Upper or regular lower). I was amused that SCR has pasted a note that charging points will be switched OFF from 10 PM to 6 AM (not sure of the reason). On the privacy screens, at least individual screens in 2AC shall be given for Upper or lower berth passengers like Side Upper or Side lower passengers. I believe the entire coach needs to be redesigned from scratch.

On the booking front, why can't IR monetize the Upper or lower berths with seat/berth selection at least in AC coaches (like flights) as I get mostly Side Upper/Side Lower only during booking with IRCTC. Now, I am booking using SmartBuy and get regular Upper or Lower as per my preference (I am more than 6 feet and have to be cramped in side berths). Also, it will be great if they can offer metro tickets to be booked together for last mile connectivity. I have not used 1AC in Charminar but will try it out in my next journey in August.

One last rant is on the Secundarabad railway station. I have never seen so many rats in one place prior to that. The tracks are just filled with rats of all sizes as if IR acted as 'Pied Piper' and brought all the city rats to the station. Now a days I wait outside the station and enter only after the train enters the platform.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 07:55   #26
BHPian

Boy! Indian railways have improved in leaps and bounds since I last travelled on them, which was like decades ago.

Quote:
Now, to accommodate more berths per coach, every inch of space has been used.
Could you please share the size of the berth? I am 6' tall and I am trying to figure out if I will be able to comfortably sleep on it.
Old 13th July 2022, 08:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Could you please share the size of the berth? I am 6' tall and I am trying to figure out if I will be able to comfortably sleep on it.
While I have not measured. I am 179 cm (5' 10.5"). 2AC berths are just enough. 1AC berth is more generous (longer than 3AC). I expect you'll have room to spare.

Quote:
So far as food goes, there's been little change from the 70s till now. Except for the quality of meals on a few trains which has improved significantly, the tea, for example, is as watery and bland as it used to be several decades ago.
On short haul Shatabdi's where they stock for the entire journey, food is good. No complaints at all.

I feel food is good only at source and destination points on long hauls. Anywhere in between, food is just mundane. This is regardless of the train. Even on a Rajdhani where you pay for the food, it is just OK.

Last edited by narayans80 : 13th July 2022 at 08:44.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 09:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatgyan View Post
So I just ignore the message and let it be.
But the entire episode left me with an extremely negative impression.
That is a unfortunate episode (or journey) you had with IR. Usually; when a train is diverted in advance, they are pretty good at maintaining runtime. Its only for those last minute changes in route that can derail things. Example, in the event of a derailment. The only time you generally hear of delays like this is during winter months and there isn't a lot you can do. Can't fault IR for poor visibility. The pilots are over cautious during this time.

Might be worth pursuing that refund, to check if the system works.

Safe to say that if you are time bound on reaching your destination and if you receive a message like that, is best to avoid a train.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th July 2022 at 09:35.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 10:12   #29
BHPian

The beauty of Indian railway stations and the aura surrounding it have emanated in renowned books authored by the likes of R K Narayan and others. Its a matter of pride for us that no other country uses train as much as we do. The Indian Railways binds us together as a country which hosts numerous cultures. Most certainly Indian Railways are a testament to India’s rich diverse culture and varied landscape. Long Live Indian railways.
Gypsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2022, 12:02   #30
BHPian

I do at least 2-3 first AC travels every year. Usually Bangalore to Belgaum or Bangalore to Thrissur. Honestly, the experience is pretty underwhelming for the price. There is absolutely no consistency in quality. Almost every fitting is a hackjob. There are no standard parts for things like a door-lock. Almost every bolt is screwed or welded in by a random person by the looks of it. The less said about the bathrooms the better. How difficult is it to mass manufacture these things? At the same time, pointless things like a geyser can be found.
lina is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks