Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2023, 14:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai: Switch Mobility delivers first EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to BEST

Switch Mobility has delivered the first set of EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST), Mumbai. The first set is part of 200 electric double-decker buses ordered by BEST.

Mumbai: Switch Mobility delivers first EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to BEST-whatsapp-image-20230213-4.52.12-pm.jpeg

The Switch EiV 22 is an air-conditioned double-decker bus designed, developed and manufactured in India. It features a contemporary look with lightweight body panels. It can ferry nearly twice the number of passengers compared to a single-decker bus, with just an 18% increase in kerb weight.

Mumbai: Switch Mobility delivers first EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to BEST-whatsapp-image-20230213-4.52.13-pm.jpeg

The EiV 22 has wide front and rear doors, two staircases and an emergency door. The bus can seat up to 65 passengers.

The Switch EiV 22 uses a 231 kWh, 2-string, liquid-cooled NMC chemistry battery pack with a dual gun charging system. It is said to offer a maximum range of 250 km on a single charge.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 14th February 2023 at 14:31.
TusharK is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Switch Mobility delivers first EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to BEST

My guess is south mumbai will see them first, it will be a real boon to have these replace the open top tourist buses.

I hope the old double decker bus routes like 66 get these buses.
I saw this bus on its way to mumbai on e-way and found its wheelbase to be shorter than older bus.

The media hype aside, this will bring much needed zing for BEST transport division since there will be lots of mumbaikers who will love to commute in it on regular basis.

Last edited by silverado : 14th February 2023 at 14:58.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 14:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai: Switch Mobility delivers first EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to BEST

So reassuring to see modern electric buses in Mumbai under BEST. The outgoing double decker design which was introduced circa 1972-1973 looked oh so modern then but looks like an outdated design today. Till around the same time Mumbai had electric trolley buses with their maze of overhead wires. EVs are back!. And the black & red scheme looks dashing.

Another bit of trivia. The practise of using the entire bus as an advertising platform started with Herbertson's 'Yipee its Dipee' campaign circa 1975 or 1976 advertising ketchup and jams. It seemed revolutionary in those days. From Electric House, Colaba to Byculla was 10 paisa in 1972 for a full ticket, roughly like Rs 5/- today.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 14th February 2023 at 15:07.
V.Narayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 17:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

Switch Mobility is owned by Ashok Leyland. We see quite a few of these pink(ish) Switch EV buses on the ring road in Bangalore:

Mumbai: Switch Mobility delivers first EiV 22 electric double-decker bus to BEST-324104883_729949031788422_6126368170901334065_n.jpg

It is a bit unnerving to see these buses in your rear view mirror, appearing suddenly out of nowhere - they accelerate quickly but silently.

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th February 2023 at 19:32.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 14th February 2023, 20:20   #5
BHPian

I look forward to trying out these buses.

Just last week I took an electric bus for the first time. 6 rupees to travel from VT (CST) to Colaba in an airconditioned, relatively quiet, vibration-free bus. To me it was the first concrete sign of the city and its working classes beginning to get the public transport system they deserve.
RadixLecti is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 13:55   #6
BHPian

This is a culturally significant moment for all Mumbaikars as Mumbai's Red Double Decker buses are as iconic as our Vadapav! I'm sure majority of the senior members (or not so senior? ) have some memory or the other associated with the buses.

Extremely glad to see them making a comeback and also happy that I got to see all of this being birthed in front of me as I happen to be a civil servant. Kudos to the entire team involved, not only did they bringing back an icon but they also furthered comfortable and green last mile mobility in the city for the years to come.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th February 2023, 15:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have travelled on BMTC electric bus twice, these buses easily kept pace with a volvo city bus on a flyover ascent with full of passengers.

Without vibration, there is zero noise from window glass, people are talking calmly either on phones or co-passengers. Overall felt pleasant and tireless after the journey.
Old 15th September 2023, 09:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai's 200 e-double decker bus plan faces regulatory issue, Switch Mobility seeks price revision as per deal terms.

Link
Old 15th September 2023, 11:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mumbai's 200 e-double decker bus plan faces regulatory issue, Switch Mobility seeks price revision as per deal terms.

Link
What's the fire risk assessment in EV buses?

Lately been hearing quite a bit about EV buses and car fires. And double-decker bus makes quick evacuation a bigger challenge.

The large power density of EV batteries (esp since greater motor power requirement due to AC and larger carrying capacity) and hot Indian weather, increase the risk of fires.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2023 at 09:09. Reason: Edited
Old 22nd September 2023, 13:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
What's the fire risk assessment in EV buses?

Lately been hearing quite a bit about EV buses and car fires. And double-decker bus makes quick evacuation a bigger challenge.

The large power density of EV batteries (esp since greater motor power requirement due to AC and larger carrying capacity) and hot Indian weather, increase the risk of fires.
Another fire incident with EV bus today in Bangalore/Chennai stretch ...

https://twitter.com/ChristinMP_/stat...GkbJ934pQ&s=19

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...-11408161.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks