Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 14:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels

Introduction

This is a report of my first encounter with Karnataka SRTC (KSRTC)'s latest offering - the Volvo 9600s , christened the Ambaari Utsav, that I'd lovingly call a Palace on Wheels. My encounter must have lasted just approx. 30 minutes, but the bus left me awestruck. Why? Read on and experience for yourself.

Background

Fortune favours the target oriented; ever since this post by @volkman10 was published, I wanted to catch a glimpse of this new offering from Volvo. What better way to do it than to catch a glimpse of the steed while in Bengaluru. I had to visit an office close to the Corp. Circle and even before I left, I'd decided it would be great if I could get to see the Ambaari Utsav up close. The earliest departing Ambaari Utsav out of Bengaluru was at 1613hrs, so rather than waiting for one at a bus terminal and wasting half a day, I decided to try and see if I could get a close look of the beauty at a depot closeby. I went into a depot in a car, neatly turned out, and when I asked the staff if I could see the Ambaari Utsav, they were first nonplussed. However, seeing my eagerness to see their new offering, they were more than happy to allow me a quick view of one of the parked steeds. This coach comes with a host of features, misses out on some essential bits, but the overall initial impression was astounding.

Acknowledgment

My sincere thanks to the Karnataka SRTC staff at the depot who were more than happy to allow me a quick look at the Ambaari Utsav.

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_frontview.jpg

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_threeinone.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 27th February 2023 at 18:36.
vigsom is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:12   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels

About the Ambaari Utsav

The Ambaari Utsav is an AC Sleeper coach built by Volvo. Quoting from
@Volkman10's post of Aug-2022,

At the heart of the Volvo 9600 platform is a fuel-efficient Volvo D8K (8-litre) engine, delivering a power of 260kW (350hp) @ 2200 RPM and a torque of 1350 Nm @ 1200-1600 RPM. The fuel-efficient engine along with its purpose-developed drivetrain is designed to minimize TCO and maximize uptime for bus operators. The chassis includes the I-Shift automated manual gearbox, electronic braking system (EBS) Hill start aid and Electronic Stability Program (ESP) systems. The 9600 platform is driver friendly, has ergonomically designed curved dashboard with controls for easy accessibility. It also has air-suspended seats with adjustable headrest to ensure a fatigue-free experience for the driver.

UNQUOTE

This is against the 10,800cc turbo-diesel engine that puts out a whopping 2100Nm of torque at 1010-1400rpm found on the B11R Volvo Sleeper operated as Ambaari Dream Class by the same Karnatata SRTC (KSRTC). No wonder, the gentleman I was interacting with at the depot called the Volvo 9600s engine a chota engine

In the 9600s, there is an impact beam between the rear bumper and the crankshaft pulley, but the gap between the impact beam and the pulley is virtually Nil (like between the coolant tank and the AC compressor pulley in the old Innova). In the B11R though, there is adequate gap between the rear bumper and the pulley - but no impact beam.

The Volvo 9600s engine bay - note the black impact beam between the bumper and the crankshaft pulley - the gap between the beam and the crankshaft pulley is very very low
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_enginebay.jpg

The Volvo B11R engine bay - good crumple zone?
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-ambaaridreamclass_enginebay.jpg

The imposing front view
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_frontview.jpg

Rear wheels - no different from the B11R
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_rearwheels.jpg

The cockpit
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_cockpit.jpg

The inside controls - note the 7” monitor which I am sure is fed by a reverse camera
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_controls_1.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 27th February 2023 at 21:30.
vigsom is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 15:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

First impressions

The moment I boarded the coach,I was awestruck; faux wood flooring, canary yellow curtains, and super-white and black combo upholstery gives the inside an uber - luxurious feel.

• Every glass on the sides sports an EMERGENCY EXIT sticker
• Hammers to break glass in an emergency
• Emergency buttons
• Classy on the outside
• Faux wood flooring
• Rich upholstery
• Forty berths in a 1+2 combination – 20 lower and 20 upper
• Berths are neither too firm nor too soft – just right
• Head and back cushions (with VOLVO markings) at each berth for passengers ro sit comfortably and stretch legs when not lying down
• PU moulded ladder and side supports, are made to last long
• Pin drop silence inside the coach at idle
• Mobile charging points, mobile phone holders, USB ports and reading lights for each berth
• Beautifully designed canary yellow curtains to separate the berths from the aisle, and also to separate the two passengers on the double berth
• Rack at each berth with ample space to even put a small suitcase in
• Engine is barely audible even at the last row

Dislikes

• Maintaining the white panels and upholstery is going to be a huge task
• No washroom on board

Cabin view - front to rear
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_cabinview.jpg

Cabin end view
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_cabinendview.jpg

Cabin View - rear to front
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsavcabinview_reartofront.jpg

Emergency exit - top hatch
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_rearemergencyexittop.jpg

Emergency exits marked on all side glasses
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_emergencyexit.jpg

View of the double berth -note the curtain separating the two passengers
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_upperdoubleberth.jpg

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_upperdoubleberth_2.jpg

View of the single berths - the dark faux leather on the berth resembles a blanket neatly folded
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_uppersingleberth.jpg

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_uppersingleberth_2.jpg

Cabin views of the Ambaari Dream Class sleeper to compare with

Prakash built B11R Sleeper
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-ambaari_prakash_cabin.jpg

MG built B11R Sleeper
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-ambaari_mg_cabinview1.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 27th February 2023 at 23:53.
vigsom is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Small yet significant bits

The engine note at the rear of the Volvo 9600s is barely audible,

against the engine note in a Volvo B11R Ambaari Dream Class sleeper

To compare, please take a look at the Volvo B11R sleepers,

Kerala SRTC Swift Volvo AC Sleeper and Karnataka SRTC Ambaari Dream Class Volvo sleeper alongside
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-volvos.jpg

Sample image of the factory built B11R Volvo AC sleeper
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-volvosleeper_sample.jpg

and compare these with the high Volvo 9600s (note how high the 9600s is against the Volvo B11R seater (Airavat Club Class of the same KSRTC). The 9600s coach sure looks taller and a tad narrower.

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsavvsairavat.jpg

Last edited by vigsom : 27th February 2023 at 17:00.
vigsom is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 16:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Closing comments

KSRTC made my day (or rather 30 minutes) very memorable. The staff was kind enough to let me take a quick look at the coach and also explained a few differences between the B11R and the 9600s. This corporation continues to impress, maintaining such a large fleet of Volvos, keeping them in great shape, and setting standards for others to emulate. Leaving you with a pic of three 9600s alongside each other, the beautiful side view of the 9600s, and the hottest trending badge viz. 9600s in the Commercial Vehicles section today. Enjoy the Utsav!

Three Utsavs
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_threeinone.jpg

Utsav from the side
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav_sideview.jpg

9600s - the hottest badge today
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-utsav9600s_rearbadge.jpg

Related review of the Ambaari Dream Class Volvo Sleeper here.

Last edited by vigsom : 27th February 2023 at 23:46.
vigsom is offline   (118) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 06:12   #6
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 08:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Delightful and interesting thread.
The comparisons are very helpful

Hats off to KSRTC for invoking my interest in Volvo since 2007
Was impressed by how the 8400 low floor city buses accelerated and braked, the phenomenal ride quality, ride height adjustment and the confidence and skill of the drivers who were quite excited to show around and answer any questions.
The true brand ambassadors IMO.

Came to know that skill comes from the training by KSRTC and Volvo and the excellence of the bus comes from Volvo's brilliant engineering and KSRTC's applaudable maintenance.
That's an example which for other RTCs to emulate.

Last edited by shancz : 28th February 2023 at 08:39. Reason: spacing
shancz is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Absolute fun to read as ever, Vigsom. And the comparisons too.

I wonder why such long distance AC buses still avoid providing a washroom inside. Have a very bad memory of a Pune-BLR trip where I had relieve myself but the driver refused a stop for a whole two hours!!
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 09:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Excellent write up, made sweeter by how this turned out to be a 'walk in' review. I have been considering a trip on the 9600s for the experience (although I never prefer a sleeper bus). This is one contender to definitely ply along the Samruddhi express highway

What is the positioning of the 9600s in the Volvo lineup with respect to say the B11R?
GeeTee TSI is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 10:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Absolute fun to read as ever, Vigsom. And the comparisons too.

I wonder why such long distance AC buses still avoid providing a washroom inside. Have a very bad memory of a Pune-BLR trip where I had relieve myself but the driver refused a stop for a whole two hours!!
The "aroma" from the washrooms if not well used/maintained will be a bigger problem for the passengers in the closed confines of the bus.
batterylow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:18   #11
BHPian

Compare this with the absolutely hopeless buses of Maharashtra MSRTC. There are so many long routes in Maharashtra that are plying those horrible Shivshahi buses. I seriously don't understand why MSRTC is always in shambles both in terms of finances and buses.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The cockpit
What a wonderfully appointed bus! And I am also always happy to see Michelins on these buses. Both the government and the manufacturer have made no compromise on good equipment.

Makes me want to get a bus license and drive one of these. Would be amazing.
Newtown is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:22   #13
BHPian

Re: KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav| Palace on Wheels

Thanks @vigsom for the nice review. Last Saturday, I travelled from Kochi to Bangalore on one of these and it was second trip of this particular bus. Started from KSRTC bus stand at 7:20pm and was at Bangalore (Silk Board) at 6:45, with a dinner break and passenger pick-up at Thrissur Bus stand. Fare was Rs 1700.

I travel rarely by bus, but whenever I do, I take KaRTC or KeRTC Volvo sleeper buses. Comparable buses are KSRTC Dream Class (Volvo B11R Rs 1500) and KeRTC SWIFT Gajaraj (Volvo B11R Rs 1227).

Adding to the observations made by @vigsom and comparing with the other buses.
  • Berth is slightly (may be an inch or two) longer than the Ambari Dream Class (B11R)
  • Very plush, bright interiors. The quality of materials and fit and finish is top class.
  • Double USB charging port per berth (instead of 220v outlet of Dream Class)
  • Curtain in between of double berth for privacy.

Dislikes:
  • Speed locked to 80kmph. The vehicle crossed 80kmph at exacty 4 instances (from my GPS log) on the entire trip (530kms), may be on down slope. This is the most tiring part. I don't know about the private buses now, but gone are the days when I get to Kochi in 7-8 hours in a Volvo.
  • White interiors may get dirty soon.
  • The fare is 1700 compared to 1500 for Ambari Dreamclass. As a passenger, there is nothing much you get with this extra cost.

A few pics taken during the dinner break.
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-img_20230225_224420.jpg

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-img_20230225_224448.jpg

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-img_20230225_225012.jpg

KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-img_20230225_190857.jpg
bejoy is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:16   #14
BHPian

Re: KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels

While serving passengers with best in class service & hospitality, how to continuously enhance their travel experience & retain passengers is what only KSRTC knows the best; which makes its truly #1 SRTC in India !

Currently all routes of "Ambari Utsav" are being operated by BCD-2 (Bangalore Central District-2) Depot.

P.S. - As I am a frequent traveler with KSRTC on Bangalore-Pune / Bangalore-Mumbai routes via Airavat (Airavat Club Class) & Ambari (Ambari Diamond Class); I am eagerly waiting to have "Ambari Utsav" to start plying on Pune / Mumbai routes from Bangalore via BCD-4 Depot.

One more interesting fact : Name "Ambari Utsav" with tagline as "Celebration of Journey" has been decided via a public contest from KSRTC's official Facebook page.
(So, KSRTC surely knows how to engage with passengers via social media & choose the name for new service).

PC - bus_aero (Instagram)
(Clicked at Vidhan Soudha during inauguration).
Attached Thumbnails
KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels-ambari-utsav.jpg  

Last edited by dhrishikesh : 28th February 2023 at 12:19. Reason: Content addition.
dhrishikesh is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 13:00   #15
BHPian

Re: KSRTC Volvo 9600s Ambaari Utsav Review | Palace On Wheels

After seeing APSRTCs "Executive class" buses, can safely say these are a class above. What a looker!
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks