Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 14:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
• Classy on the outside - barring a few scars, the exterior was stock
• Clean window panes; surprising for a 4 year old bus. The pics I took are testimony to these clean window panes
• Engine barely audible inside if the cabin door is closed
• Super clean interiors
• Easy to maintain upholstery
• Soft blankets available in the cockpit, maybe intended for the night passengers (I'd not use these though)
• 31 seats and 15 berths in a 1+2 combination – seats on the lower level and berths above
• Berths are neither too firm nor too soft – just right
• Seats well upholstered and designed for comfort even for travel to the moon!
• Seats' recline was outstanding and legroom was adequate
• Head cushions at each berth to prevent the head from impacting plastic panels when getting up or lying down
• Neat blue curtains to separate the berths from the aisle; there is a separator curtain at every double berth too
• Rack at each berth with a dedicated slot to place water bottle, and ample space to even put a small suitcase in
• Emergency exit at the rear – on the right

Dislikes

• Bottle holder straps on seats had disappeared, courtesy vandals
• Drinking water not provided (not a dislike, but just calling this out)
Hello Sir - No matter what SETC does, I've vowed never ever to board their bus again for one simple reason - TN govt despises Volvo for some reason; ok understandable about the grudge against Volvo, but Scania? Mercedes? Why? Why stick with Leyland & Prakash's body all the time?

I refuse to travel on SETC until they switch to Volvo/Scania/Mercedes in their respective routes. The only benefit of SETC is cost: ultra low cost; what's stopping them from adding couple of modern day buses along with regular long distance routes?

Last edited by aargee : 12th April 2023 at 14:19.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 14:28   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hello Sir - No matter what SETC does, I've vowed never ever to board their bus again for one simple reason - TN govt despises Volvo for some reason; ok understandable about the grudge against Volvo, but Scania? Mercedes? Why? Why stick with Leyland & Prakash's body all the time?

I refuse to travel on SETC until they switch to Volvo/Scania/Mercedes in their respective routes. The only benefit of SETC is cost: ultra low cost; what's stopping them from adding couple of modern day buses along with regular long distance routes?
As long as the ride quality is good, the seats are comfortable and the NVH is low, does it really matter if the bus is a Volvo, Mercedes, Scania or Tata/AL with Prakash built cabin?

Just for reference, the new KaSTRC Ambari Utsav is the state-of-the-art Volvo B11R with all bells and whistles. But it falls behind the KaSRTC Ambari Dream class Volvo on cabin comfort and ride quality. There are many people who are disappointed with the ride quality of the Utsav class.
sagarpadaki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 14:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
As long as the ride quality is good, the seats are comfortable and the NVH is low, does it really matter if the bus is a Volvo, Mercedes, Scania or Tata/AL with Prakash built cabin?
Time matters next to cost for us when we take public transport. And when it comes to Scania/Merc/Volvo (SMV), we're quite happy with the NVH & comfort they offer. We feel the monstrous torque of SMV buses are way too superior to Make in India buses, atleast for now.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 15:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The dark horse did surprisingly well in transporting me safely and comfortably!!
Well written review OP. They can slowly start doing away with mandatory bus stop checks. Yeah it can't be done immediately but if they provide consistent service and with increased patronage this can be done.

And with regard to not buying Scania/Volvo/Mercedes(SVM) Reduced to just V now considering the fact that neither of the other two has Bs6 offerings. The major reason i would say would be the ticket cost per km. Already AC sleeper is around 2rs per KM and multi axles need to be placed more to at-least cover running costs. Yeah but who knows if they give consistent service people may opt for these service and they may became viable in future.

But at-least for me I find SMK/Veera built AL sleepers to be atleast as comfortable if not more than the Volvo sleepers.
sudhir_vag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 15:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...TN govt despises Volvo for some reason... Why stick with Leyland & Prakash's body all the time?
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-T...-to-Tata-buses

Simple, it all comes to tax revenue, trade lobbyists and vote bank politics. It is not just Volvo (or Scania or Merc). You will not find one TATA bus in Tamilnadu govt owned transport services. Have you ever noticed it?

One past govt tried a hand with very very few TATA buses, the system killed them systematically and branded TATA as not fit to carry TN population. Weird right! Reason given was the govt workshops were not able to converse with TATA engineers for reasons you know why.

Thank God northern states did not have this tunnel vision and have a decent spread of TATA/Leyland and a decent spread of V/M/S brands too.
svsantosh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 17:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Simple, it all comes to tax revenue...TATA/Leyland and a decent spread of V/M/S brands too.
Sir, I take your point, but not Quora; especially the point he says AL buses last for 20 years versus Volvo lasting for 6 years!! Even if Volvo lasts for 6 years, AL buses, especially govt buses are replaced every 10 years mandatorily with the stricter emission norms playing spoilt every 4-5 years, 20 years is hard to believe.

BTW, looks like I'm wrong; TTDC indeed seems to have Volvo buses (but not SETC, hopefully someday)

So...I'll be looking forward to travel in one of them with destination as an excuse
Old 12th April 2023, 17:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time matters next to cost for us when we take public transport.
Agreed! And for that, the nonsensical speed limitation should be removed first. I doubt the huge private bus lobby would ever let that happen.

I used to travel Madurai-Madras in 7.5-8 hours in the 2-lane NH45 days (when 9.5-10 hours was a norm) on AL buses
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Simple, it all comes to tax revenue, trade lobbyists and vote bank politics. It is not just Volvo (or Scania or Merc). You will not find one TATA bus in Tamilnadu govt owned transport services. Have you ever noticed it?
There are PLENTY of TATA buses in TNSTC & MTC. SETC is an exclusive Leyland territory though.
binaiks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for this review.

Have recently started traveling by bus to Trichy from Bangalore. Used Red Bus and with private carriers. Last couple of trips were with Sri Renu travels and they are clean and on time.

Did try to use the government service, but usually ended up with not wanting to risk with an unknown and stuck to private carriers.

For some reason there are no private Volvo / Merc in this BNG TPJ sector, that I came across, except for KSRTC ones.

As for the road works from Namakkal to Musiri, on my drives over last 2 weeks was warned about this and took the Namakkal - Thuraiyur route which skips these road works sectors. This detour did not add any additional hours to my travel time.
HappyWheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 23:44   #25
BHPian

Quote:
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-the-T...-to-Tata-buses
It is not just Volvo (or Scania or Merc). You will not find one TATA bus in Tamilnadu govt owned transport services. Have you ever noticed it?
I don't want to get in internal matters of the government, but for some reason MTC did not/ could not maintain the Volvo buses properly and let them run without maintenance until they eventually broke down and were taken off the roads, while the regular non-AC buses(mostly Ashok Leyland) were repaired/repainted over and over and over again. Remember the long, low floor Tata-Marcopolo and Ashok Leyland air suspension buses- those were also taken off the roads after being abused to death without any maintenance whatsoever. I travelled extensively in these MTC buses for about 2-3 years from 2017-2019, and I would feel bad for the Marcopolo buses, every time I was in one. What I personally feel is, anything with air suspension, will not be maintained

Puducherry transport still maintains and operates their Volvo buses- and those buses are an entirely different thing altogether- supereme acceleration, supreme comfort, floaty like a boat- no other bus manufacturer can ever match these traits of Volvo buses. You would want to travel in one instead of taking your car- that is the level of comfort the Volvos offer.
Inside Puducherry Volvo
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20180927_095309554_hdr2.jpg

Coming to long distance travels- I have travelled in SETC AC buses (both sleeper and non sleeper ones), SETC non-AC buses, TNSTC buses(old and new both), and Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, Scania buses.
SETC AC sleeper
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20220609_092546328_hdr3.jpg

The TNSTC buses are decently comfortable: public transport in Tamil Nadu, in general, is good.
TNSTC regular bus(new)
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20190607_1804085862.jpg
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20190718_073236826_burst0012.jpg

TNSTC regular bus (old)
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20180814_153431002_hdr2.jpg

The old SETC buses with air suspension were much more comfortable than the ones that are operational now(the white ones). That being said, the white SETC buses are not bad either- ride is good, cabin insulation is great, they do move pretty fast: just that you miss the floaty, ultra-comfortable ride.
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20190209_1248069242.jpg

Among Volvo, Scania and Mercedes-Benz- Scania buses are superior here. If I remember right, Scania was caught in some kind of scam and since stopped selling buses in India. Mercedes-Benz buses are louder inside the cabin than the Volvo counterparts and are not really as comfortable as the Volvos.Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20190322_073056128_burst000_cover2.jpg

On a lighter note, travelling in buses do give you opportunities to click special cars like this Range Rover Vogue SV Autobiography.
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-img_20190510_151635048_burst000_cover2.jpg
DocwithFiesta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2023, 12:41   #26
BHPian

How unfortunate is this?

Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-screenshot_202304171237342.png
Tamil Nadu's SETC Airconditioned Sleeper-Seater bus service | The dark horse surprises again-screenshot_20230417123756.png

Link to the news:
https://m-timesofindia-com.cdn.amppr...2F99545184.cms
Old 18th April 2023, 09:15   #27
Senior - BHPian

I don't know the authenticity of this news, but I'm not surprised. Despite that, I'm optimistic about the future of TNSTC and SETC. I believe they'll make the necessary changes to stay competitive and bring us good times ahead.

Quote:
Summer Shock: TNSTC To Remove ACs From Its Buses
With people sweltering under the brazen heat of the summer season, the Tamil Nadu State Transport Commission (TNSTC) has decided to remove ACs from its buses.

And the rationale given for the move by the government is that the maintenance cost of ACs is ‘too costly’.

Last year, the State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) another state-owned organization altered seven years old AC Buses to Non-AC services. Now TNSTC of Kumbakonam is also following their footsteps. TNSTC authorities said that they are forced to do this because passengers had started to complain about the inefficiency of ACs. The resulting poor ventilation caused great discomfort to the passengers due to shutting down of all doors and window.

When Sathapriyan Kamaraj, the Founder of TNSTC Enthusiasts, a group promoting public transport was asked about this issue, he was quoted saying in a report that given the government has not procured any new AC buses in the past two and half years, it is unfortunate that even the existing ones are being converted to non-A/C buses.

The TNSTC Officials also claimed that in the absence of Annual Maintenance Contract with the manufacturer, the engineers and mechanics at the depot are forced to use reserved funds to fix this issue. To avoid this, they made these A/C buses to Non-A/C ones, so that they could be plied on roads instead of abandoning them altogether.
Sources:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...campaign=cppst

https://thecommunemag.com/summer-sho...rom-its-buses/

On a little unrelated note: Tamil Nadu government to procure 1,771 non-AC buses under the capital assistance of Germany’s KfW!! Why Germany? Why not Volvo? Or atleast why not capital assistance from our own nation?

Source: https://www.dtnext.in/tamilnadu/2022...1-non-ac-buses

Last edited by aargee : 18th April 2023 at 09:16.
Old 18th April 2023, 10:37   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a little unrelated note: Tamil Nadu government to procure 1,771 non-AC buses under the capital assistance of Germany’s KfW!! Why Germany? Why not Volvo? Or atleast why not capital assistance from our own nation?
Cannot really understand this fixation for Volvo. Indian Manufacturers like Ashok Leyland produce vehicles that compete with Volvo in terms of Comfort - its the prejudiced notion that only Volvo is comfortable, that causes the bias here.

Regarding funding from KfW - that was a specific project floated by the Govt of Tamilnadu for modernization of public transportation fleet. Kerala too uses KfW funding - for introducing water transport in Kochi. There were talks of using KfW funding for introducing better public transport in Kochi as well. These are projects floated by individual state governments.

The Union Government is going ahead with a mega project of introducing electric buses for intra & intercity transport. Many states have participated in the project, and states like Kerala are to get over 1100buses under this project.
Old 18th April 2023, 12:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Cannot really understand this fixation for Volvo. Indian Manufacturers like Ashok Leyland produce vehicles that compete with Volvo in terms of Comfort - its the prejudiced notion that only Volvo is comfortable, that causes the bias here
Let's say I'm prejudiced too for a moment & agree with you that I'm biased that Volvo is the comfortable while Marcopolo & AL are not comfortable.

Let's take a step back & look at the private players fleets: VRL, Parveen, Orange, Kallada, KPN, Sharma, Orange, Jabbar, Kesineni are some of the prominent & largest ones I see on road. Even if I'm biased due to RAS, pls try to see which brand of buses these players have largest in number from AL, Tata, Eicher, Volvo, Scania & Mercedes buses. Tks
Old 18th April 2023, 12:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's say I'm prejudiced too for a moment & agree with you that I'm biased that Volvo is the comfortable while Marcopolo & AL are not comfortable.

Let's take a step back & look at the private players fleets: VRL, Parveen, Orange, Kallada, KPN, Sharma, Orange, Jabbar, Kesineni are some of the prominent & largest ones I see on road. Even if I'm biased due to RAS, pls try to see which brand of buses these players have largest in number from AL, Tata, Eicher, Volvo, Scania & Mercedes buses. Tks
Return to the same operators, and try to find out their percentage of Volvo vs Leyland. All of them have a substantial fleet of Leyland buses. Majority of the fleet of VRL comprises of Ashok Leyland buses - their Volvo fleet is roughly 1/4th (or less) their entire fleet.

I agree that Volvo is comfortable - but it is not that ONLY Volvo (or its competition) is comfortable. Ashok Leyland buses with full air suspension provide the same level of comfort - so do BharatBenz buses.

Tamil Nadu STUs are extremely value oriented. Volvo buses do not offer the same value that a Leyland offers - you spend upwards of 1.5cr on a Volvo bus, that returns a fuel efficiency in the range of 2.5-4kmpl. You get three Leyland buses for the same price, and each one of them returns upwards of 4.5kmpl (TN STUs are known to extract over 5.5kmpl).
binaiks is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks