Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2023, 13:27   #16
BHPian

Re: MSRTC electrifies 70% of Mumbai-Pune Shivneri bus fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Are these buses made by Olectra greentech? Any idea on the battery and motor specs? Since its from a third party service provider I wonder if we ever get to know the economics of operating them at 57 per km. Solar powered charging stations must be in by default.
Yes they are provided by Olectra. The bus specification can be found on the link below

https://olectra.com/cx2/

They have not given the break up of the Rs.57 lease.
ferrarirules is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 11:02   #17
BHPian

Recently undertook a journey from Pune to Mumbai using the Shivneri service. This time it was the E-Shivneri which are basically the Olectra Bus models. Although this was my first ride with the E-Shivneri, I actually got to travel in 2 of these Olectra buses, more details on this later in the post.

I have been using the Shivneri Buses for almost more than a decade now, have got the opportunity to ride in multiple bus models that MSRTC used for the Shivneri, i.e. Volvo single and multiaxle, Scania, Mercedes & Cerita, there was one more model which I am unable to remember. The Volvo, Scania and Mercedes were super comfortable and I personally liked the ride quality of the Scania.
So those who are not from the state of Maharashtra let me explain what is the Shivneri bus service.
The Shivneri bus service was started somewhere between 2007-2009(cannot remember the exact year), as the demand for travel by road between Mumbai and Pune by road had increased multifold due to the Expressway. There were many private operators like Purple-Metrolink, Neeta, etc who were running air-conditioned & Volvo buses on this route, but these bus services had multiple issues which are as follows:-
  1. Punctuality: these private buses had to wait till the last seat was filled, there was a high chance that your bus is stationary for almost 20 minutes to fill up vacant seats and takes at least 2 hours to just exit the city limits. Overall travel time would be anywhere between 4 to 5 hours.
  2. Maintenance: these private volvos were poorly maintained and sometimes dirty! Breakdowns were a common sight, also back then during 2008-9 the expressways did not have speeding cameras and there used to be reckless driving by these Volvo drivers, especially I found the Neeta drivers to be more reckless.

So the above mentioned gaps were plugged by MSRTC when they Introduced the Shivneri buses, this was a premium service which ran between Mumbai(Dadar) and Pune(Railway station). There were dedicated ticket counters and bays for the service at Pune, while initially in Dadar the boarding-alighting happened along the road kerb side, but then the service shifted to the dedicated bus station under the Dadar flyover. These were mostly based on Volvo, save for a few Cerita and Mercedes models.
The Shivneri service was an instant hit as it provided one with:-
  1. Clean well maintained buses
  2. Courteous drivers
  3. Propper schedule and buses available every 30 minutes.
  4. Punctual! Let's say a bus is supposed to depart at 11.30 am an it has only 10 passengers, it would depart exactly at 11.30 and not wait for more passengers to be picked up at the starting station, although it would halt on the way out of the city at MSRTC designated stops to pick up passengers, but these halts would be for max 2-5 minutes.
  5. Travel time reduced from 4-5 hours to 3-3.5 hours, some times during early morning the travel time was even less than 3 hours.
  6. Super comfortable ride quality.
All these factors made the Shivneri a super hit amongst travellers.

Now coming to the present date, I know that the Shivneri Service has now been running the Olectra Bus for few months and I was looking forward to travel in it. Took the journey from Pune(Swargate) to Mumbai(Dadar). As this was an unplanned journey could not book tickets in advance so had to rely on current reservation at Swargate, by the way, current ticketing system at Swargate is a mess, better get your ride from Pune Station depot in case of unreserved tickets as it is much better organized over there.
The current reservation at 7 am was utter chaos at the Swargate bus station, buses were running late, some bus services were also being clubbed, I.e. the 7 am and 7.30 am bus service got clubbed, but then at 7.30 they had 2 buses ready to depart! stupid management.

So I finally boarded the E-Shivneri, these are swanky new buses with good clean interiors, I found the seats spacious and comfortable with good legroom, although the cabin width felt narrower than the Volvos.
The bus departed Swargate bus station and the first thing I noticed is each and every bump/undulation on the road was felt, surely the suspension on these are not the carpet like quality of the Volvos, here the Volvos are a league ahead.
Just 5 minutes into the journey the bus stops for no reason, then the driver manages to get the bus rolling, but after a kilometer or so the bus again stops and fails to move, now this was bad as I took the early morning bus as I had a meeting in Mumbai. The bus driver informed us that there is some malfunction and they are arranging for another bus.

MSRTC electrifies 70% of Mumbai-Pune Shivneri bus fleet-whatsapp-image-20230918-10.13.13.jpeg

MSRTC electrifies 70% of Mumbai-Pune Shivneri bus fleet-whatsapp-image-20230918-10.13.08.jpeg

MID showed low battery, but that couldn't have been the case as it was the first trip after overnight charging.
It took the other bus an hour to arrive. The replacement was also an Olectra bus.
This bus took another 1.5 hours to exit the city as it halted for at least 10-15 minutes at each pickup stop.
I also figured that in case the bus breaks down the Shivneri ticket is not refundable. The only option you have is to either wait at the mercy of MSRTC to send a new bus or accommodate you in the buses running(if there is a vacant seat) or you forego your money and look at other options to continue your journey.
Well the other Olectra also had the same ride quality, so now it was clear that these Olectra buses are actually inferior in ride quality to Volvos. MSRTC with their Volvos have set a high benchmark.

The second issue I noticed is with the jerky pickup and braking, especially there seems to be some issue with the braking it always felt harsh. Either the regen isn't set right, or the driver wasn't used to the Electric Bus, or maybe Olectras regen can not achieve a deceleration like a conventional ICE engine braking, something was surely off.
So overall I feel the Volvos were much better, and these Olectras cannot hold a candle to them. MSRTC should seriously take lessons from KSRTC on how to keep upgrading premium bus services.

I know that many of us might feel that the comparison between the Volvo and Olectra might not be an apple to apple comparison, but then as a customer when I am paying (535 rupees for a journey) for apples I expect apples. I am not against E-Buses, but all I mean is that the quality of service should be at least on par. I also feel that the Olectras may not hold tight as the Volvos in the long run after a few years, I hope I am proven wrong though.
ArTigor is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 19:30   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTigor View Post

Shivneri ticket is not refundable.

Olectra buses are actually inferior in ride quality to Volvos. MSRTC with their Volvos have set a high benchmark.

The second issue I noticed is with the jerky pickup and braking,

Either the regen isn't set right, or the driver wasn't used to the Electric Bus, or maybe Olectras regen can not achieve a deceleration like a conventional ICE engine braking,

Olectras cannot hold a candle to them.
It's looks unfair that ticket is not refundable for no fault of the passenger.

Why Volvo became a industry leader is evident from the quality of ride and handling of these buses.

While olectra gets a huge feedback data from their buses, whether they'll utilise them to challenge the industry leaders is yet to be seen.

The suspension is not everyones forte and only a few companies can master the art of magic carpet ride.

Hope Tatas and Leylands also bring plush riding electric buses to forefront.
helios9406 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 06:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

That is a welcome upgrade to the fleet.

I remember back in 2007-2008, when TATA Marcopolo buses ruled the Shivneri fleet. The excitement of taking one of these buses was short lived as soon as I boarded the bus. I didn't like the low seating, the driving was slow (Good for safety) and the buses were tired from use. The entire drivetrain was droning to the point where it could put you to sleep. Good for the passenger but I can't imagine the mental strain thats on the driver, dealing with this noise day in and out.

I remember Neeta too, with their flash Volvo buses. Never took them.

I've never heard of Olectra. They must be new to the transportation game. I am sure over time, they will improve their buses. Volvo, Scania and the like have been in the bus game for well over 50 years. Will take some time for a new player to catchup to all the technology they have.

Thanks for sharing.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently undertook a journey from Pune to Mumbai using the Shivneri service. This time it was the E-Shivneri which are basically the Olectra Bus models.
I have found these buses to be a downgrade from the Shivneri Volvo's and Scanias.

Instead on a recent trip to Nashik, I got Shivai-e. These are 45+D buses with a drastic improvement over the regular Shivshahi buses. My trip to Nashik was probably the maiden trip hence had two other MSRTC officials apart from the driver of the bus. What I liked was the driver was belted up, plus there was ADAS system of some sort which gave audible warnings if the vehicle up ahead was too close. There was also a camera on the dash pointed to the driver and used to alert loudly "driver districted" when the driver picked up a bottle of water to drink. I think the system is made to detect driver's using mobile phone.

The bus was made by a company called GreenCell.

Looks quite fresh from the outside:
MSRTC electrifies 70% of Mumbai-Pune Shivneri bus fleet-img_4119.jpg

You can see the ADAS thing on the left side (middle of the windscreen bottom) and the driver camera (towards the right):
MSRTC electrifies 70% of Mumbai-Pune Shivneri bus fleet-img_4122.jpg

Vin plate:
MSRTC electrifies 70% of Mumbai-Pune Shivneri bus fleet-img_4123.jpg

Overall, I found this bus much more better than the Olectra buses. If I have to nitpick, I disliked the implementation of the horn. Being electric, these buses are silent and incessant hoking is what drivers do when passing intersections or crowded locations. I feel the horn is heard more on the inside than outside.

In terms of price, the Pune Nashik Shivai-e's price is much lower than e-Shivneri's Pune Mumbai fare (less distance). If I'm paying top money, I need the best bus service available.

Last edited by blackwasp : 9th October 2023 at 12:14.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I know that many of us might feel that the comparison between the Volvo and Olectra might not be an apple to apple comparison, but then as a customer when I am paying (535 rupees for a journey) for apples I expect apples.
Nice read on your first hand experience of Intercity commute on Olectra buses. Olectra can never be compared to Volvo, it might just be cashing on EV boom in public infrastructure space. One is engineering powerhouse while other is god knows what.

Olectra Greentech Ltd. is JV between Hyderabad based Megha Engineering and Infrastructures Ltd. (MEIL, privately held) and Chinese EV manufacturer BYD. IMO, Olectra does not have any intention to emerge as an independent EV manufacturer as a result of JV experience, it could be a mere front face of BYD. Olectra seems to be purely a contract manufacturer of BYD buses. If BYD wraps up, Olectra might vanish into thin air.

Olectra awarded Letter of Intent worth Rs 10,000 crore for 5150 e-buses by MSRTC

EveyTrans Private Limited, a MEIL group company to run Olectra’s e-bus on Pune-Mumbai route

BYD tells India partner it wants to drop $1 bn EV investment plan: Sources

BYD eyes India passenger EV assembly

BYD plans to drop US$ 1-billion EV investment plan, informs India JV partner: Report

Olectra Greentech’s Partnership With BYD Motors And Megha Engineering in India Rejected

https://olectra.com/

https://www.meil.in/olectra-greentech

MEIL - Turnover

Zaubacorp-MEIL

Zaubacorp-Olectra

‘CRISIL A1+’ rating to the commercial paper programme of MEIL

Quote:

Analytical Approach

CRISIL Ratings has considered the consolidated financials to arrive at the rating for MEIL factoring in its subsidiaries WUPPTCL and SEPC in India and overseas on account of strong business and financial linkages including fungible cash flow between these companies. CRISIL Ratings has also consolidated Olectra Greentech Ltd (wherein its stake increased to 50% as of September 2021) from fiscal 2022 onwards. The company also has four hybrid annuity model (HAM) road projects, under special purpose vehicles (SPVs). CRISIL Ratings has factored in equity infusion in these SPVs to the extent of MEIL's shareholding and factoring in possible cost overruns. However, MEIL has not guaranteed the debt in these SPVs.

Comfortable financial risk profile

MEIL’s financial risk profile is comfortable, supported by sizeable net worth of Rs 15,674 crore as on March 31, 2021 which is expected to improve to above ~Rs 18000 crore in fiscal 2022. MEIL’s strong cash generating ability, supported by healthy profitability, has ensured low debt requirement, despite sizeable investments in diverse business segments and capex. MEIL has undertaken capex of Rs 4648 crore (including acquisitions) since fiscal 2019 and investments were Rs 1126 crore in fiscal 2021.

Investments in unrelated businesses and group companies

MEIL has a complex structure with more than 35 subsidiaries, 4 SPVs and other associate concerns. MEIL has been venturing into new businesses such as EVs, EV bus operations and city gas distribution, which compared with existing EPC business require separate set of skills. Though MEIL has showcased ability to take diverse projects in the past within the EPC segment, different from its core capability of undertaking irrigation and drinking water projects, the new business is outside the EPC purview. The successful implementation and performance of these businesses would be critical, to ensure limited drain on the resources generated by MEIL. The Company has also expressed intent to participate in bidding for PSU organizations such as Shipping Corporation, Bharat Earth Mover Ltd etc. and suitable assets via IBC route.

Last edited by varunswnt : 9th October 2023 at 12:53.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 13:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
I have found these (Olectra) buses to be a downgrade from the Shivneri Volvo's and Scanias.

Instead on a recent trip to Nashik, I got Shivai-e. These are 45+D buses with a drastic improvement over the regular Shivshahi buses.

The bus was made by a company called GreenCell.

Overall, I found this bus much more better than the Olectra buses.

In terms of price, the Pune Nashik Shivai-e's price is much lower than e-Shivneri's Pune Mumbai fare (less distance). If I'm paying top money, I need the best bus service available.
Greencell mobility seems to be procuring buses from a legit OEM manufacturer. In a while, VECV and Switch might become mainstay in Public infra EV space and could overtake Olectra.

VECV to supply 1,000 electric buses to GreenCell Mobility in next 5 years

GreenCell Mobility partners with VE Commercial vehicles

Volvo Group bullish on India's growing commercial vehicle market

VECV total sales grow 29.4 pc to 6,476 units in August: Eicher Motors Ltd

(VECV) is a JV between the Volvo Group and Eicher Motors Ltd

Switch Mobility’s market share of electric buses grows fourfold in FY23

Mumbai's 200 e-double decker bus plan faces regulatory issue, Switch Mobility seeks price revision as per deal terms

https://www.hindujagroup.com/switch-mobility.html

https://www.switchmobilityev.com/en/company
Old 24th December 2023, 18:16   #23
BHPian

How is the passenger seating comfort of Olectras as compared to Volvo, Mercedes or Scania?
I remember travelling in those buses more than a decade back with utmost comfort operated by KSRTC & MSRTC both.
Old 25th December 2023, 10:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

I hate to ask this question, but what if these airconditioned E buses catch fire enroute ? How do people evacuate safely? I asked this because the other day, a colleague of mine told me the horror of using the PMPML AC E-bus in Pune, which was so stuffed up that it was suffocating for him throughout the journey.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks