Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 16:39   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Story of how I got my Heavy Vehicle / Bus Driving License

Congratulations on getting the big one. Have to say once we start reading your posts, can't stop until we reach the end. You have a way with writing that keeps one engrossed and you don't hesitate to write your feelings or emotions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
Heavy Vehicle License Application Process
Getting a Heavy license is a plus for those who are from the mechanical engineering background since they can apply for the Assistant Motor Vehicles Inspector's exam. I wasn't much interested in that but had applied for it just to get to know the experience. I could also put it to use if I get an opportunity to drive those vehicles.

Quote:
After the badge exam, my driving institute recommended I attend a road safety class organized by a group in association with the RTO.... After his talk, Dr. Das arrived, he was going to take a class on first aid. I was listening to a first aid class for the first time and could get to know many things that were new to me. He spoke on various topics including the contents of the first aid kit, choking and measures to take when one is experiencing choking, then about how to handle accident victims, how to remove a helmet etc.

Set of instructions for the driver
What a driver should do before getting seated
Check whether the Tyres are sufficiently inflated, whether there is any chance of puncture, whether they have required amount of tread and whether the wheel nuts are sufficiently tightened.
Check the radiator coolant level and whether the fan belt is intact.
Check the engine oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid and make sure these are up to the required level.
Check whether the suspension has required stiffness and whether leaf springs have any damage.
Check whether all emergency equipment like fire extinguishers, screw jack, first aid box, warning reflecting triangle etc. are present.
Check the battery acid level and battery terminals.

What a driver should do first after taking the driver's seat
Check whether the clutch and hand brake function properly.
Check whether the park light, headlight, the interior lights, horn and wiper are all functioning well.
Wish they did the same for ordinary 2 wheeler/LMV license test too. One can get a license just by rote learning some rules and performing a 'H'. I have come across some drivers who didn't even know that their car had a spare tyre in the boot!!!

Quote:
People of different backgrounds were present..... Everyone had their own motives.... I thought I might be the only one who might not be putting this license to much use in the future.

I had been in touch with BHPians justin.das and Dicky. Dicky too kept in touch; he too had been planning to get a heavy license since the last four years.
Same here. Can't see any rational use for us with the heavy license except for the enthusiasm to learn and extra bragging points. But for most others it is a way to a livelihood.

Quote:
On the day of the test, I reached the location half an hour prior to the start of the test. Only upon reaching the location I had figured out that I hadn't brought the required forms along with me. Home was 7 km away and time was running out. Man! I always end up messing things up. But I didn't lose my mind and quickly took an auto home, got hold of the required documents and returned on time.. Luckily, the test got delayed as the MVI came late and we were allowed to take trials till the MVI arrived.
Reminds me of the computer test for learner's license. Was waiting since morning in the queue. Once my token number was near, had a real urgent need to take a dump.. Fearing how toilets would be in a civil station, I rushed to my friend's house a kilometre away to attend nature's call. Came back to see that my name was already called and the officer would not let me in anyway. Had to wait from 12:30.p.m till 7:00.p.m for my turn, after everyone had finished.

Quote:
Within a week, I received the new license by post. The new license had a new section - "transport" added with a symbol of a truck. I was happy and shared the news with my contacts. Though till now am not sure whether I will ever be putting it to use, I consider myself fortunate to have experienced all this and was happy to meet all those who had been with me for the test.
Your post just made me decide to take the heavy license anyhow, or atleast go and take a two wheeler license.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2023, 22:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Congratulations on getting the big one. Have to say once we start reading your posts, can't stop until we reach the end. You have a way with writing that keeps one engrossed and you don't hesitate to write your feelings or emotions.
Your post just made me decide to take the heavy license anyhow, or atleast go and take a two wheeler license.
Thank you very much for your hearty reply. Was waiting for your reply as I had mentioned you in my writing. Reading your reply gave me goosebumps literally. I don't usually get compliments and once when you get it for the efforts which you took, you really feel over the top.

Agree with all the points you mentioned and I'm happy that my post has reignited the interest in you to pursue for the same. Thanks a lot again for the detailed reply.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th December 2023 at 23:38. Reason: A word, as requested.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 08:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Introduction

I had planned to write a topic about "how to obtain a heavy vehicle driving license" soon after obtaining the license last year but later decided against it. I thought not many would be interested in knowing about it as there's nothing much new about it. It's almost similar to the process of obtaining an LMV license which almost everyone goes through.
Congratulations. I really like your sense of adventure and carefree attitude. If nothing else driving an HMV gives you confidence of what you can handle on the road. I obtained my now long expired HMV license in circa 1982. as an employee of Tata Motors I had to learn how to drive in order to be a manger in the sales team. Of course I have long lost that skill having not driven an HMV for over 35 to 37 years but it was fun while it lasted. It is IIRC as different from driving a car as a car is from a two-wheeler due to size, blind spots and that high seating position not to mention the grunt effort on the steering wheel. All the best mate. Happy miles to you.
V.Narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Congratulations. I really like your sense of adventure and carefree attitude. If nothing else driving an HMV gives you confidence of what you can handle on the road. I obtained my now long expired HMV license in circa 1982. as an employee of Tata Motors I had to learn how to drive in order to be a manger in the sales team. Of course I have long lost that skill having not driven an HMV for over 35 to 37 years but it was fun while it lasted. It is IIRC as different from driving a car as a car is from a two-wheeler due to size, blind spots and that high seating position not to mention the grunt effort on the steering wheel. All the best mate. Happy miles to you.
Sir, thanks a lot for your reply. Happy that my thread caught your attention, getting a reply from a distinguished member like you is surely a very big complement for me. I have been grateful to you for sharing your insights on many topics from aircrafts to many more threads like your charity works, insights on foreign emigration, IT jobs thread etc.

It's interesting that you clearly could understand my adventurous and carefree nature, glad that I expressed myself well through my writing . Yes, it's true that one can gain much more skills by driving a heavy vehicle. Also, just like how you used your heavy license to your benefit for the said job, my Dad too had advised me to keep it as a back-up in case I wished to apply for any jobs at commercial vehicles sector since I'm from a Mechanical Engineering background.

Thank you for posting an important point which in fact I too had planned to write and had forgotten to in the process. Yes there are difficulties in driving a heavy vehicle due to it's large size, blind spots, lack of cameras in old buses etc. Also, I appreciate those who guys who drive these vehicles without a companion for long distances.

Thank you sir once again for your reply and sharing those important insights.

Last edited by RR96 : 6th December 2023 at 10:36.
Old 27th December 2023, 10:21   #20
BHPian

Congratulations @RR96 for getting the HMV license and thank you for the detailed post of the process for the same.

Of all the vehicles in road, driving a HMV requires skill at the highest level and I have utmost respect for those drivers who drive on the same road but a much larger vehicle and still have the road sense to make the drive utilising the space while not hitting others. It's a real skill.

Do you have plans for HMV driving btw
SidTheChamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 12:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheChamp View Post
Congratulations @RR96 for getting the HMV license and thank you for the detailed post of the process for the same.

Of all the vehicles in road, driving a HMV requires skill at the highest level and I have utmost respect for those drivers who drive on the same road but a much larger vehicle and still have the road sense to make the drive utilising the space while not hitting others. It's a real skill.

Do you have plans for HMV driving btw?
Thank you for your reply. I agree with your statements. Yes, I'm interested in putting my transport license to use. Of the people with whom I learnt driving I personally am in touch with few and know three of them who drive a heavy vehicle. A guy drives a school bus and other two are drivers of a private bus. Should get in touch with them and try to get hold of an opportunity. If not that I will at least try to drive a Force Traveller which one of my relative owns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks