Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 14:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

1999. Saudi Arabia. 2 New Volvo Dump Trucks, 16 Cu. Yard capacity, pulled over into our workshop's open yard. Bright white, inviting monster.
Requested the in-charge permission to take a TD and he (to my utter surprise) agreed.
Kicked the push button and the engine roared... Simple accelerator / brakes and clutch mechanism. Though have driven huge GMC pick up trucks many times, this one is different. Sitting so high up, dwarfing all the cars standing nearby in our parking lot, its amazing feeling.
The truck responded so well, of course without load, and the power steering and brakes were as easy as my Camry.
Negotiating turns, curves, stops and starts at traffic lights.. (It was within our indusrial city and luckily no cops around that day...).it was pure fun.
Then I asked the in-charge to try my hands on the Huge Caterpillar Excavator standing next and he diplomatically said "No".
Old 9th January 2008, 14:19   #17
BHPian

Very unique introduction, I must say. These are certainly experiences to cherish; also not available to all.
Can you share something about reversing the volvo - how many reverse gears?
Old 9th January 2008, 14:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sree,
I don't remember and nobody taught me about all those gears that were on that Volvo. The experienced driver was always with me and made sure I dont pull any wrong gear nor in the wrong direction. All he taught me was only to drive the machine...!!!
Old 9th January 2008, 15:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_devil View Post
I know what your talking about.Those bus drivers are crazy.
I hope your not driving as rash as them.
And welcome to TeamBhp. Great to have a fellow mangalorean here.
Hi Speed _devil, Your name suggests something else.. That was the age when I was studying my Engineering and adrenalin rush was high !!!!.

We actually skipped some buses to catch a particular bus just to enjoy this driver's driving. He was amazing. we had many fans from our college for this driver.

Myself with 16 years of driving experience and observing how others drive, I vouch that I have never seen anyone like that.(I'm not exaggerating ).

FYI...The bus was Ganesh travels. You ask any MITians who studied between 94-98 and they will concur this.

Those were fun days. I picked up one trick from this driver on overtaking. This driver was overtaking another express bus of same power(1516 turbo) at around 100Kmph. They are travelling parallely and both drivers were not willing to backdown. You know what this driver did. he blipped the clutch in quick succession and the bus actually started inching ahead and was able to overtake.
Old 9th January 2008, 16:00   #20
BHPian

Those days the roads were better to manipal.
Now with all the flyover work and stuff the roads are horrible but still these bus driver manage to drive veeery fast.
I remember couple of months back going to MIT for their Tech fest, i stupidly sat on the last seat with my friends. We nearly broke our back with the bus jumping over all the potholes at close 100km/hr.
Old 11th January 2008, 23:28   #21
BHPian

ACE to Tata4018LPS

Hi friends,
Its realy great to be behind the big steering wheels of buses & trucks in india as its fully to the ability of the driver that the vehicle goes around.
I too did had a simply wonderful experience when for the first time i drove a Tata 1510 LP bus chassis from kollam to Cochin (kerala) and from there on it was an array of vehicles enjoying the joy of driving heavyweights in indian roads. Some of them are:
Kerala State RTC : fast passenger and SuperFast buses.
Tata : ACE, 207, Winger, 407, 709, 909, 1109, 1510 bus, 1613 & 2515 trucks and 3516, 4018 tractor trailers. and off course TATA NOVUS (not joking).
Ash Ley: Comet1611 tipper, ST1613H Tipper and Lynx bus.
Eicher: 10.80 Tipper
Mazda: Super
Mahindra: Loadking tipper.

now awaiting Leyland buses
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks