Team-BHP - Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Commercial Vehicles (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/)
-   -   Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles/57175-can-we-modify-traveller-4wd.html)

Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - 4WD (4 Wheel Drive, 4x4)

I was thinking of a vehicle in which entire two family can travel long distance and that too in comfort.

The vehicle which looks quite good is Tempo Traveller. Does any one knows if it ever came with 4wd or if we go ahead to convert it to 4wd what would be the expenses involved.

The tempo Excel, the truck which shares some bits with the bus was made as a 4x4 too. If you could source the required bits from Force Motors, and if packaging is not an issue, it should be possible.

Another option would be to do up a 4x4 Mahindra FJ460DP van/truck.

There is a friend of mine who wanted to do just this for the same reasons too, but i think its got a monoquoce construction body(tempo), though i'am not 100% sure.
Then we thought over the Tat407 and the Force truck of the same size, but finalised on Swarj Masda SWB. It has the most space to offer vs. the size.

Hi Guys,

The MOHFW uses the 4WD Excels, there are a few running around rural Chennai too.

Pictures of one I saw in Pauri. (UK12).

Another option is to use Tata 407 4WD mechanicals.

However since the front Axle Diff is left off-set you have to procure it with the Left Drop Transfer Case.

A solid front axle in the Excels. Do they come with diff-locks?

Never knew Tempo excel comes with 4wd!! Looks ugly for sure when compared to a TATA 407 4wd or even Mahindra Fj 460 4wd van. So much of front overhang:Frustrati

It looks like they plonked the body of an Excel on a 4WD frame off a Toofan or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus (Post 1271282)
A solid front axle in the Excels. Do they come with diff-locks?

No Diff-Locks in the Front.

Buy this Ashok Layland through Army disposal restore it and make it into a caravan.. You will have time of your life.. I am going to do it one day for sure...

Can we Modify Traveller to 4WD-satllion4x4a.jpg

How about these??? My choice would be Unimog for sure, if at all they were available in India. Our choices are so limited...infact non existant!!:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 1271517)
No Diff-Locks in the Front.

What about the rear? coz if it have the same axle, i'am sure the carrier would be interchangable with the front unit. How beefier did the axle look to you compairing to the force trax axle, and is the differential punmkin the same size? Any idea about high pinion, etc?

Also Arka, the first picture you posted in post #4 thats showing the undercarriage of the truck, thats the front axle right, since i can see the knuckles and the tie-rod, and also the engine sump in the front. But the axle pumpkin here seems like its on the right side of the axle, therefore a right offset, not the left, or am i mistaken

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus (Post 1271700)

Also Arka, the first picture you posted in post #4 thats showing the undercarriage of the truck, thats the front axle right, since i can see the knuckles and the tie-rod, and also the engine sump in the front. But the axle pumpkin here seems like its on the right side of the axle, therefore a right offset, not the left, or am i mistaken

agree: i too think this is right off set. Seeing this i see a possibility of the trax being offered with live front axle just like done here. When a Matadoor on which the trax is based can be offered with front dead axle then why not trax? Infact in one of the pickup versions it is offered with dead axle front. Comooon force, just make it live:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex670c (Post 1271231)
Another option is to use Tata 407 4WD mechanicals.

However since the front Axle Diff is left off-set you have to procure it with the Left Drop Transfer Case.

I was suggesting the 407 4WD components clap:

Force Excel 4WD
Front Diff Offset Right

Tata 4074WD
Front Diff offset Left

Matador 307 is Front Wheel Drive :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus (Post 1271700)
What about the rear? coz if it have the same axle, i'am sure the carrier would be interchangable with the front unit. How beefier did the axle look to you compairing to the force trax axle, and is the differential punmkin the same size? Any idea about high pinion, etc?

Front & Rear are Tempo Traveller size differentials.

Rear differential is centered.

Neither is Hi-Pinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinod_nookala (Post 1271715)
agree: i too think this is right off set. Seeing this i see a possibility of the trax being offered with live front axle just like done here. When a Matadoor on which the trax is based can be offered with front dead axle then why not trax? Infact in one of the pickup versions it is offered with dead axle front. Comooon force, just make it live:D

Hey Vinod, stop day dreaming yaar,lol.
No seriously, if that happens, it could make the trax the best of the lot in India as far as offroad performance is concerned. As of now, it think the trax only has the advantage to the diff-lock, otherwise there are a few vehicles that do have performance, or can be with a few modifications. Giving it the front solid axle, even better if it has coil spings can make it a very versatile platform.

Where can i get info for this axle? I need it bad, especially concerning its carrier vs the trax carrier, the shaft size, splines etc?