Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:48   #46
BHPian

This bus now plies 6pm schedule from bangalore to chickmagalur. Took this bus last friday. Volvo is much better i feel. One the run it seems fine, a bit more noisier, A/C vents don't seem to comfort the passengers well (atleast me). Sound system was a joke - as every passenger wanted to see and listen the movie, but was too loud - later it was reduced.. Bus was late by 1 hr as it couldn't return from mysore ontime. Stuck in traffic for another 1.5hrs. later 2 sudden brakes woke us all up - once don't know why, second time because of an oncoming truck (was face to face when bus managed to stop just in time).. Finally - driver managed to run over the road divider with loud bang and few hops.. Now this bus runs a cracked windshield. Overall - I was not a happy passenger on this bus.
Old 23rd September 2009, 10:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-BoleroBoy View Post
This bus now plies 6pm schedule from bangalore to chickmagalur. Took this bus last friday.
Whats the fare from Bangalore - Chikmagalur ? Is it as same as Volvo fare?
Any idea about the return journey(CKM-BLR) timings ?
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:40   #48
BHPian

It is the same fare as of Volvo. In fact, I booked thinking it is a Volvo and was pleasantly surprised to see Mercedes Benz pulling in to pick us up.
And regarding the return journey timing, sorry, I am not aware..
Old 26th September 2009, 23:02   #49
BHPian

The reason for operators going in for the Mercedes buses is their better fuel economy.. u do pay an extra amount (one time) but do get ur money back with time as u end up spending less on the diesel after each trip..

Merc buses are claimed to be faster as well
Old 27th September 2009, 10:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
The reason for operators going in for the Mercedes buses is their better fuel economy.. u do pay an extra amount (one time) but do get ur money back with time as u end up spending less on the diesel after each trip..
While I don't refute your claim, KSRTC does not own Mercedes buses. The bus that it received from Benz for trial is being rotated among different routes (To check performance on different types of roads). There is no consideration of "fuel economy" in this process - since its only a trial before purchase. Given KSRTC's normal ways of decision making, its highly unlikely that it would purchase Mercedes buses (unless the head-honchos get their share of money).
Old 27th September 2009, 11:39   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
While I don't refute your claim, KSRTC does not own Mercedes buses. The bus that it received from Benz for trial is being rotated among different routes (To check performance on different types of roads). There is no consideration of "fuel economy" in this process - since its only a trial before purchase. Given KSRTC's normal ways of decision making, its highly unlikely that it would purchase Mercedes buses (unless the head-honchos get their share of money).
Errr.. i wasnt saying KSRTC has purchased them. I was referring to a general case of why operators (like Neeta / Sharma / Konduskar etc) are shifting to MBs.
But yes, FE does play a very important role. What other parameters than u think will be considered during a trial process? Yes, under the table money is a big thing in Govt organisations, but dont forget MB is trying hard to get hold of a good share in India, them being the biggest outside India..so u never know what might end up happening
Old 27th September 2009, 13:39   #52
BHPian

Is there any fare hike compared to Volvo buses?
Old 21st October 2009, 20:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this last evening while driving back to bangy on mysore road. Looks like the luxury line up from Swaraj with the Isuzu engine.

KSRTC launches the 'Mercedes-Benz' Bangalore-Mysore bus.-dscf4654-medium.jpg

KSRTC launches the 'Mercedes-Benz' Bangalore-Mysore bus.-dscf4655-medium.jpg

KSRTC launches the 'Mercedes-Benz' Bangalore-Mysore bus.-dscf4657-medium.jpg
Old 21st October 2009, 21:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Weird number plate, Its written AP KA 09 TA 4206 in kannada! Hope it does not belong to Kerala transport.
Old 21st October 2009, 21:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Spotted this last evening while driving back to bangy on mysore road. Looks like the luxury line up from Swaraj with the Isuzu engine.

Attachment 213534
Oh man, the Scorpio Rear mirrors are BIG

Maintenance of these hi-tech buses? A big question.

I recently traveled in Airavat to Chennai. The buses are worst maintained. There was leakage of water inside the bus from the AC. Almost all the seats near the window had it. They replaced the sweater sort of bedsheets with normal clothes. And you could feel every thump and vibration on road.

It made no difference to normal Airbuses, except for those fares..

I dont know, if KSRTC has some speical task force to de-fame the Volvo. It was not like this before 3 years when I use to travel in Airavat.
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:19   #56
Senior - BHPian

Well i had travelled in those isuzu buses. Nothing extraordinary other than ac and interiors which feels more like an airplane. Speeds are lower than a volvo
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I dont know, if KSRTC has some speical task force to de-fame the Volvo. It was not like this before 3 years when I use to travel in Airavat.
Perhaps, the buses were simply younger three years before.
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:26   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It made no difference to normal Airbuses, except for those fares..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Perhaps, the buses were simply younger three years before.

But still must agree that KSRTC and BMTC are the best public transport the country ever has, i have travelled all over south and recently some parts of Maharashtra, the public transport is pathetic if you compare it to BMTC.

We atleast have clean and effecient and frequent buses plying on our roads.

The number of Volvo buses on the normal routes have doubled in the recent past, i seldom see ordinary bus plying in my area, and even the regular bus is now getting replaced with new ones and that too with Air -Suspension.

Great going KSRTC and BMTC
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:02   #59
BHPian

is Mercedes finally making a dent to Volvo's market share?
Old 25th September 2010, 09:44   #60
MCR
BHPian

Bangalore-Mysore

Travelled by KSRTC Merc yesterday evening from Bangalore to Mysore.

Interiors :
The bus has funky LED lit interiors. The upper luggage holder deck is all plastic. The AC vents can control the amount flow but not the direction of flow. The reading lamps are good. The interior feels plasticky and there is no carpeting.

Seats :
The seats are not as chunky and comfortable as in Volvo. Also the Hip point of the seat is set higher and this meant inadequate back support. Under thigh support is not as good in Volvo. The seat recliner on my seat was damaged and this meant the seat would comeback to its original position. This was not expected in a brand new bus.

AC :
The AC is pretty good as well as the circulation.

Drive (Perception) :
The pick-up is surely missing. I could see the bus struggling to move ahead after slowing down for speed breakers. This in spite of the bus being in first gear. The bus takes a lot of time to attain triple digit speeds, once there, cruises comfortably. I feel the turbo-lag is huge and the first two gears are very sluggish. This is because, the bus struggles to move ahead in these gears.

Ride Quality :
Excellent and smooth. The engine and road noise is very well insulated.

Comparo :

Compared to Volvo, Merc is surely not as nimble and luxurious. But it is still better than Isuzu.
My Rankings,
1.Volvo
2.Merc
3.Isuzu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks