Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2010, 16:01   #76
Senior - BHPian

More Images

Now there is a sizeable bonnet inside the cabin too.
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-11-bonnet.jpg

Now it has a 12volt system instead of 24 volts. I think its 180Ah. BTW alternator used is 65 Amps.
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-12-battery.jpg

Coolant reservoir
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-13-coolant.jpg

Power Steering Pump, Can anyone make out the make of this pump.? Stickering was all worn out
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-14-pwr-steering.jpg

Air Distributor
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-15-air-distru.jpg

Air Filter Goes here.
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-16-air-intake.jpg

Massive Rear Axle, It must be RA108RR, its a TATA invention.
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-17-rear-diff.jpg

Dual AIr Tank
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-18-air-tank.jpg

Now side cladding is made of fibre and can be changed easily, Look Ma!, No panel Gap! Mahindra learn something!
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-19-side-cladding.jpg

Made in Pune.
A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC-20-pune.jpg
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2010, 18:49   #77

LPT 1613 review suggestion

Hi Siralec,
Really good pics, my interest in commercial vehicles started recently as I have booked this mammoth (TATA1613) too,
well previously had my experience with the EICHERs(10.75,10.90, and 11.10,20.15) but maintainance wise quite high,japanese mitsubishi background may be the reason!!!!
So can u justify is this worth the investment..in long run also was looking to go with NAVSTAR models, but me think too costly plus very rare on roads....
Awaiting ur reply
swifteenik@team-bhp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
First Look
This beauty came to us to deliver 400 bags of cement as lot of renovation is going on at our place. Being an autohead, as usual I started poking around this huge behemoth instead of inspecting the consignment , It always happens that the driver gets very friendly if you show some interest (read respect) in his vehicle. He started telling me about his experience as a truck driver.
The old fella started his trucking life in a 312 as a handy boy, coincidentally which also happens to be my first truck ride when I was a kid, when the family owned two of the hottest truck around that time, tata merc, 312 with 4x4.
He told me everything except he didn't let me drive this time, as he didn't want to ruin his lengthy unscathed record with the transport company, and he felt that @5ft. i was too timid to drive this. I tried to convince him that i have in the past even drove a Russian Kraz. But he didn't budge and joked about it. This was a shocking change, as i end up driving every vehicle that i poke into. Any way i respected his principal and 'Roji Roti'. He did let me start it though. He was surprised in the end that I did knew how to start it and stop.

For some, who don't know, trucks key can be interchanged, and there is a rubber button to start it (you don't turn the key to crank like we are usually used to), and to stop the engine there is no separate choke like Mahindra DI, but you pull the accelerator pedal Up.

Under (the hood) ki Baat
Our test bed (droll bed, this time) is a TATA LPT 1613 turbo rigid. Its a ladder frame design, with riveted multiple cross member. The design is so tried and tested that it hasn't changed since its inception. Under the hood is a 6 liter Cummins straight 6 motor mated to a very dependable GBS40 gear box. It has 5 forward and 1 reverse. It churns out a respectable 130bhp with massive 410Nm of torque, which can haul in excess of 30 tons with ease, which is illegal on this by the way.
It rides on 10.00x20 cross ply tyres, on Semi elliptical leaf spring. The driver says the ride is very uncomfy when it has no load. Brakes are vacuum assisted, actually two are there, one service (main brakes) and other jake brake.

Some facts: (as compared to our daily cars)
Fuel Tank Capacity: 360 liters
Engine Oil: 15 liters
Coolant: 24 liters (He says that it has two radiators, i tried explaining him in vain that the other one is an intercooler )
Turning Radius: 20 meters

Images
Attachment 209456

Attachment 209457

Huge steering, its really easy now, thanks to hydraulic assisted on all models as standard.
Attachment 209458

Pedals.
Attachment 209459

Hand Brake, it makes a loud woose noise when activated.
Attachment 209460

Check the redline, i mean the green line.
Attachment 209461

Now the first one is very important, we don't mobilize this until the needle reaches at least 7 bar.
Attachment 209462

A very optimistic 100kmph dial
Attachment 209463

Gear, it really not that hard than it seems to shift on this.
Attachment 209464

Attachment 209465

Rear slave cylinder
Attachment 209467

Minimalistic Cabin, compare this with FH12 or with Novus from the same stable
Attachment 209468

huge muffler. I guess tata decided to make a twin exhaust, but later decided not to.
Attachment 209469

massive gearbox
Attachment 209470

Prop Shaft
Attachment 209471

Diff.
Attachment 209472

Rear semi elliptical leaf suspension
Attachment 209473

Spare tyre, removing this is very easy, thanks to that pulley type contraption.
Attachment 209474

Attachment 209475

360 liters fuel tank with the range of little over 1000kms with full load. You don't want to run out of fuel in this one. as pumping this will be a good workout.
Attachment 209476

10.00x20 Cross ply, Retreading is the name of the game in trucking business.
Attachment 209477

Check out the humongous length
Attachment 209478
Old 2nd July 2010, 00:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

are there any special advantages of the Semi Forward over the Standard cabin??
the overall specifications look smaller compared to the earlier.
Old 4th July 2010, 14:32   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifteenik View Post
Hi Siralec,
Really good pics, my interest in commercial vehicles started recently as I have booked this mammoth (TATA1613) too,
well previously had my experience with the EICHERs(10.75,10.90, and 11.10,20.15) but maintainance wise quite high,japanese mitsubishi background may be the reason!!!!
So can u justify is this worth the investment..in long run also was looking to go with NAVSTAR models, but me think too costly plus very rare on roads....
Awaiting ur reply
swifteenik@team-bhp.com
1613 is the work horse. You will never go wrong. Even the new one is electronic, but you will find mechanic in every corner. Its cheap to maintain. The engine is good for 5 lac odd kms. Its tried in hills by us.

Stand on any National Highway, Every 5 second you will see a TATA 1613 or 2213 plying.

Navistar is quite new here in indian market and conditions. Volvo is good but price is very very high. Safety feature are awesome in Volvo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
Well it depends upon the usage and choice. Like parking, turning radius, cabin space etc.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th July 2010 at 14:33.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2010, 21:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
There are some unique advantage in the semi forward design.
The load in the axles, will vary for a Normal Control Cabin and Semi forward control cab. Load is more evenly distributed in NC cab rather than a SF cab. This is reason NC cabs are used with large load bodies (upto 32ft). In case SF cabs, with more load in the rear axles are prefered in sand queries.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 11:20   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
There are some unique advantage in the semi forward design.
The load in the axles, will vary for a Normal Control Cabin and Semi forward control cab. Load is more evenly distributed in NC cab rather than a SF cab. This is reason NC cabs are used with large load bodies (upto 32ft). In case SF cabs, with more load in the rear axles are prefered in sand queries.

Ashey, that is something I have never thought of. In fact, my impression was that CoE (cabin over engine or NC, as put here, or engine inside the cabin, whatever) is same as semi forward / long nose when it comes to load distribution between the axles.

Is it due to better traction provided by heavier load on rear (driving) tyres that long nose trucks appear to have more "pulling power"?

Have any studies been done on this?

Do you have any technical info to back up that statement?

Are the over lengths of both the designs same?

While I have noticed that 10 tonne tippers are shorter than 10 tonne normal flat bed trucks, I was thinking that shorter length on tippers was to take advantage of "lever" effect on the hydraulic lift system. (longer load area on normal length trucks means more "leverage" acting on the hydraulic system, requiring more pressure to life the flat bed".
Old 5th July 2010, 18:14   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Is it due to better traction provided by heavier load on rear (driving) tyres that long nose trucks appear to have more "pulling power"?
Yes, more load in the rear axles provide more traction.

Quote:
Have any studies been done on this?
Certainly I have done many put not published though.

Quote:
Do you have any technical info to back up that statement?
No. I dont have any technical data sheet to support me. But still its available.
Quote:
Are the over lengths of both the designs same?
FOH and ROH for both the trucks will be different. Strictly speaking the over hangs are playing the game here.

Quote:
While I have noticed that 10 tonne tippers are shorter than 10 tonne normal flat bed trucks, I was thinking that shorter length on tippers was to take advantage of "lever" effect on the hydraulic lift system. (longer load area on normal length trucks means more "leverage" acting on the hydraulic system, requiring more pressure to life the flat bed".
Here tipping load body is the contributor. The length of the vehicle is determined with the Cu.M of the tipper box and so there is a differance in length between haulage and tipper models.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:56   #83
BHPian

Re: A day with LPT1613 TC, a TATA 1210E & Semi Forward 1613TC

Hello guys,
There are two wheelbase options for the LPT 1613.
42 and 52 wheelbase. Just wanted to know if the chassis length is longer in the 52 wheelbase truck ??
Which one is a better buy for long distance haulage ?

cheers.
Old 27th October 2012, 10:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithesh View Post
Hello guys,
There are two wheelbase options for the LPT 1613.
42 and 52 wheelbase. Just wanted to know if the chassis length is longer in the 52 wheelbase truck ??
Which one is a better buy for long distance haulage ?

cheers.
There are 3 wheel bases available in the market 42, 48 and 52. Obviously the chassis ought to be longer to accommodate a longer load body based on the WB. The most popular among the three wheel bases is the 42 WB with the 697 engine eventhough Cummins options are also available.
For long distance haulage, i would recommend Cummins powered options if the distance travelled is over 300 kms per day. Else 697 will make more sense as it can be overhauled 'n' no of times and is marginally more frugal than the 6 BT. WB and Load body size is something you need to decide based on the cargo you are planning to load.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 16:54   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Know Your Truck document for Tata Trucks:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KNOW YOUR TRUCK - ENG.pdf (8.78 MB, 405 views)
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks