Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 11:14   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroa4 View Post
in terms of power output or bhp given the displacement of 7.2 L , the output is slightly less , say by 60 or 70 odd bhp . should have been 260 or 270 bhp . volvos FM7 does produce 290 bhp for roughly the same displacement.
but look at cummins engines. case here is the most popular 1613 turbo for TATA . the engine is cummins 6bt 5.9 tc roughly having displacement of 6 L . but look what it produces a mare 126 bhp and torque of 410 NM.
so by this std, mahindra's 7.2L is way good.
1613 is the entry level engine.

Take 1623. 5.9 litres. 235 hp 800 Hm. Now compare. On top of it the 7.2l engine will be heavier too. Not a huge issue in HCVs, but why add 100 kg when you can save it?
Old 10th December 2009, 11:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
well guys according to me the definition of these two engines are: -
(Disclaimer: my knowledge is limited and i can always be wrong )
Inline : the normal engine that we are discussing in this thread, can be mounted traversely or longitudinally.
Those types are called Tranversly mounted 4s/6s/ etc,etc..

Quote:
Straight: One in which the cylinders and pistons are horizontally opposed.
No, those are not straight's they are BOXER engine.
Quote:
there was no such diesel engine until subaru developed one.
Don't know about Subaru having a diesal or not, but at present we are having a Subaru Forester with Boxer petrol engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio
Take 1623. 5.9 litres. 235 hp 800 Hm. Now compare. On top of it the 7.2l engine will be heavier too. Not a huge issue in HCVs, but why add 100 kg when you can save it?

Ya dude, its one of the best TC engine we have here.

Cummins are expert's in CV engines, but still TATA's should have taken some help for development of there Passenger car engine's from TC.

Last edited by Zappo : 10th December 2009 at 15:09. Reason: Please start using Multiquote and Edit buttons instead of making back to back posts.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:47   #33
BHPian

I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. This is not a Mahindra engine, it is a well known Navistar engine, so really it is Navistar unveiling the engine in India.
Old 10th December 2009, 11:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading. This is not a Mahindra engine, it is a well known Navistar engine, so really it is Navistar unveiling the engine in India.
I agree. The title is quite misleading. Its a Navistar engine localised by Mahindra-Navistar to be precise.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@quattroa4 , the cummins used by TATA is with 2 valve head. that is the same engine I am talking about, also where did you get the data on the volvos, As far as I know the FM come with 2 enigne options D9B [9.4 liter engine] and D13A [12.8liter engine] both Inline 6, and the FH [big dady in india] come with D13A.
DEAR DINAR,
when volvo first launched the FM series in india , there was only one option aveleble which was FM7 . later on they discotinued it . but you can still spot a FM7 -290 on our roads quite often.
now a days they are coming with those engines u r mentioning.
further i m also very shocked bylearning straigth and inline are not the same . explanation required!
Yes, I know the earlier models came with the D7 engine but was discontinued , due to the great demands of the India commercial [specifically good transport] market.
The point is small engine capacity with loads of BHP , is not the way here. these high states of tune are OK with road like in the US and Europe.
Old 10th December 2009, 16:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

How abt plonking this beast into MM540 & 550's. Can't imagine leaving all the cars to dust
Old 10th December 2009, 18:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
How abt plonking this beast into MM540 & 550's. Can't imagine leaving all the cars to dust
yeah ! that will be gr8 , but why do the impossible . the 540 will ride on only 2 front wheels bcoz of the weight of the engine and at rear you have to add an ballast so as to keep u r rear wheels in touch with mother earth.
Rather than that , lets do the possible. a Scorpio 2.2 L M HAWK or an old 2.6 L if you get it . will do wonders with MM540 . and thats possible!!!
Old 11th December 2009, 14:21   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
Pardon me, but is the Mahindra Axe being sold for general public or only for military use.

'Axe Effect' from Mahindra is awesome, so masculine and looks Good
I do remember some posts talking about a Civilian version of the Axe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
I think the title of the thread is a bit misleading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
I agree. The title is quite misleading. Its a Navistar engine localised by Mahindra-Navistar to be precise.
Apologies, guys. On my way to edit.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:19   #39
BHPian

Quote:
i hope mahindra does good this time with its venture with navistar . becaues looking back at their history of tie-ups everything have failed or disputed in some way .
look at mahindra -ford and mahindra -renault ,nothing have worked for them unless and untill they do it independently , and thats their real strength.
7.2 L seems to be gem of a engine there.
It is true that Mahindra's JV's have not worked out too well in the past. But with Navistar, I think Mahindra has hit the nail right in the head. Indian Automobile market has matured a long way and people are looking for quality and don't mind paying for it. The Mahindra-Navistar JV looks like it will deliver just that: Great quality powerful Commercial trucks. I see this JV as a successful venture for Mahindra.

I just came across the Mahindra Navistar website today. I think they just launched it today only. It is a building up a teaser campaign for the Mahindra Navistar trucks.

Here is the link Mahindra Navistar
Old 21st December 2009, 22:31   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
It is true that Mahindra's JV's have not worked out too well in the past. But with Navistar, I think Mahindra has hit the nail right in the head. Indian Automobile market has matured a long way and people are looking for quality and don't mind paying for it. The Mahindra-Navistar JV looks like it will deliver just that: Great quality powerful Commercial trucks. I see this JV as a successful venture for Mahindra.

I just came across the Mahindra Navistar website today. I think they just launched it today only. It is a building up a teaser campaign for the Mahindra Navistar trucks.

Here is the link Mahindra Navistar
good link indeed ! seems to be a good truck to look at given how mahindra designs their CV s ( case here is gio, champion amd loadking series) never had a good run in this segament whatever they tried .
UV s there is nobody in india that can hold their hand , so as the tractors , single handedly controls 40% of market. but not with CVs . lets c at expo what are they up to designwise .
Old 22nd December 2009, 19:56   #41
BHPian

You can't make out much of the looks of the trucks from the teaser pics. But I do get a feeling that this time around, Mahindra has got the looks of these vehicles right.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu : Business : Mahindra Navistar launches two trucks
Old 5th January 2010, 10:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Inline : the normal engine that we are discussing in this thread, can be mounted traversely or longitudinally.

Straight: One in which the cylinders and pistons are horizontally opposed.
Dude, boxer engines are called flat engines not straight. Straight is nothing but another name for an inline layout.

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2010, 10:52   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but look at cummins engines. case here is the most popular 1613 turbo for TATA . the engine is cummins 6bt 5.9 tc roughly having displacement of 6 L . but look what it produces a mare 126 bhp and torque of 410 NM.
so by this std, mahindra's 7.2L is way good.
Some of the Navistar models uses Cummins Engines( 15 L ) so does Frieight Liner. Cummins got more than 60% market share around the world and got a vast array of engines for various uses.
Old 5th January 2010, 10:54   #45
Senior - BHPian

Damn 31 tons!!! With that sort of gross weight these trucks will only have 6.77bhp/ton and 28.3nm/ton.

In comparison, the Tata Nano does 55bhp/ton and 80nm/ton.

They will be crawling with such low figures.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks