Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 12:03   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Buses operated by various private travels and STUs

KeSRTC to start Calicut - Mumbai multiaxle bus service in January 2016. I hope they employ two drivers per bus instead of one driver and one conductor

Also,

Quote:
Kerala State Road Transport Corporation will run air-conditioned multi-axle buses to Goa, Puducherry, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Maharashtra soon. Around 20 AC buses will be procured for the new interstate services.
SOURCE : http://www.ksrtcblog.com/news/ksrtc-...ice-by-january
Old 10th December 2015, 12:51   #902
Senior - BHPian

Does KeSRTC have something against Tamil Nadu?

No buses at all from Chennai to any destination in Kerala from them.
People have to depend purely on private operators or trains.

Can't see any reasoning for them not to employ at least a couple to main hubs like Cochin, Ernakulam, Trivandrum.
Old 10th December 2015, 14:27   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Does KeSRTC have something against Tamil Nadu?

Can't see any reasoning for them not to employ at least a couple to main hubs like Cochin, Ernakulam, Trivandrum.
I reckon it's to do with the permit agreement between the two states. For KeSRTC to reach Chennai from any destination in Kerala involves them running the major distance in TN state and this is a problem - because there's a cap on the total mileage for inter-state operations. TN government will not allow that to protect private interest. I'm not sure but the distance that a KeSRTC service can do in TN is capped at about 200 kms (experts can confirm) or less. It so happens fortunately for TN to run buses to Trivandrum because the capital city lies on the KL-TN border unlike Chennai.
Old 10th December 2015, 17:06   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I reckon it's to do with the permit agreement between the two states. For KeSRTC to reach Chennai from any destination in Kerala involves them running the major distance in TN state and this is a problem - because there's a cap on the total mileage for inter-state operations. TN government will not allow that to protect private interest. I'm not sure but the distance that a KeSRTC service can do in TN is capped at about 200 kms (experts can confirm) or less. It so happens fortunately for TN to run buses to Trivandrum because the capital city lies on the KL-TN border unlike Chennai.
The reason cited is that there are agreements on the total number of kilometres that the KSRTC and TN STCs (SETC, TNSTCs) can run in each others' territories. If the KSRTC runs a total of 5000km (across all routes, all services) on TN roads, then the TN STCs should also have a similar number of km allowed inside KL territory. KSRTC already has a sizeable number of services between border towns (Palakkad-Coimbatore, TVM-Kanyakumari, etc) and a few of the long distance routes such as TVM-Bangalore, KTM-Bangalore, EKM-Bangalore, TSR-Bangalore, PLKD-Bangalore do use TN roads (the PLKD-Bangalore runs inside TN territory for about 300km of the total 420km trip). For the TN services to cover as many km as the KSRTC, they can run long distance services to practically any place in Kerala - which they do.

This is one reason why there are more regular services to Bangalore via Mysore and Nilambur than via Salem-Hosur. Same reason why there are more KaSRTC services to Kerala destinations than there are KSRTC services to KA destinations

Last edited by silversteed : 10th December 2015 at 17:08.
silversteed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 13:53   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
The reason cited is that there are agreements on the total number of kilometres that the KSRTC and TN STCs (SETC, TNSTCs) can run in each others' territories.
Dear Sir,

Just out of curiosity, is this type of agreement also present between Maharashtra and Karnataka ? I see many Airavat Volvos belonging to KSRTC coming to Bombay but do not know if Maharashtra reciprocates it with its Shivneri services to Bangalore ? Is this KM cap valid across all types of buses ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 15th December 2015, 14:37   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Just out of curiosity, is this type of agreement also present between Maharashtra and Karnataka ? I see many Airavat Volvos belonging to KSRTC coming to Bombay but do not know if Maharashtra reciprocates it with its Shivneri services to Bangalore ? Is this KM cap valid across all types of buses ?
Sorry, I do not have the finer details. Since I follow the KSRTC's (Kerala) updates, I got to know the info I'd posted. My guess is, there has to be similar agreements between KA and MH as well for KaSRTC & MSRTC, but how they split the km cap is beyond what I know. Doesn't the MSRTC ply those Asiad buses to places in KA and AP/TS?

Please wait for the more knowledgeable folks - @binaiks, @dandapanik and others - to comment.
Old 15th December 2015, 16:04   #907
Senior - BHPian

MSRTC is not not reciprocating with the allowed no of buses from maharashtra to Karnataka. They have the exchange agreement with Karnataka, but due to higher rates they cannot run the buses profitably.

Wrong scrap interval followed by all except KSRTC,
Volvo buses are supposed to have a usable life of 12 Years or 30,00,000 km (30 Lakh km) for intercity application and 12 Year 12,00,000 km for in city use.
Older non TC Tata and Leyland had an life of 9 Years or 9,90,000 km where they had to be scrapped, most STC's followed a 7 Year 7 lakh km, so as to gain a decent scrap value. This was increased to 12 Year 17,50,000 km in mid 90's when Turbo charged engines, modern air brakes etc came up.
As MSRTC, TNSTC rtc follow same life factor for calculating fares of Chassis on body and semi integral (Volvo, Scania etc) buses. They keep aside more for depretiation, and say Volvo's are operationally costlier.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 17:53   #908
BHPian

Does anybody know how much does a 2+1 non a/c sleeper bus cost? (Tata or Ashok) I mean the complete bus with body building included. I know it varies depending on builder, veera, prakash etc. But on an average how much does it cost?
Not that I am planning buy one :-). But I am big fan of these buses and always wondered how the operators manage with such low occupancy.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 21:40   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Wrong scrap interval followed by all except KSRTC,
Volvo buses are supposed to have a usable life of 12 Years or 30,00,000 km (30 Lakh km) for intercity application and 12 Year 12,00,000 km for in city use.
Older non TC Tata and Leyland had an life of 9 Years or 9,90,000 km where they had to be scrapped, most STC's followed a 7 Year 7 lakh km, so as to gain a decent scrap value. This was increased to 12 Year 17,50,000 km in mid 90's when Turbo charged engines, modern air brakes etc came up.
As MSRTC, TNSTC rtc follow same life factor for calculating fares of Chassis on body and semi integral (Volvo, Scania etc) buses. They keep aside more for depretiation, and say Volvo's are operationally costlier.

Rahul
Volvo cant have more than 20lks for Intercity application. The highest is around 23 lks but the average scrape mileage will be around 20 lks only.
For AL and Tata depending on states it varies from 7 lks to 8 lks or 8 yrs. Normally if chassis condition is good they refurbish and use it in city application in tier2 and tire3 cities.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2015, 08:58   #910
Senior - BHPian

To my knowledge Volvo has sent a notice to KSRTC that the first lot of Airavat buses supplied to them have already completed 30 lak km and need to be scrapped. The Shivneri Volvo buses contracted by MSRTC complete about 7 lakh km in their third year before the contract is renewed depending on condition of the bus. Most buses with 7 Lakh km are looking fresh and as good as new. It is after 11-12 Lakh km that we hear body noise etc if maintenance is not proper.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 16th December 2015 at 09:04.
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 00:40   #911
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can anybody pls let me know where in Bangalore, Maharashtra State Transport buses start or end their journey for Mumbai?
Old 21st December 2015, 10:01   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange GTX View Post
Hi Guys,

Can anybody pls let me know where in Bangalore, Maharashtra State Transport buses start or end their journey for Mumbai?
At Kempegowda Bus Station, aka Majestic.
Old 21st December 2015, 18:31   #913
Senior - BHPian

Hi. Can anyone tell me if there are bus services from Delhi airport to Chandigarh city overnight? The internet shows that there are but has anyone used these? I arrive in Delhi around 10 p.m. on a weekday and need to get to Chandigarh as soon as possible. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 10:30   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
At Kempegowda Bus Station, aka Majestic.
Thanks a lot Friend. Really appreciate.
Old 4th March 2016, 12:11   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdatta92 View Post
I have a question. Why hasn't any OEM succeeded big time with a bi-axle front engine intercity fully built coach till today?
In order to succeed in this industry, the operators should find a value-add for FBVs (Fully Built Vehicles) which should be able to bring in more profits. The major players in the bodywork industry already provide enough comfort and quality for the price. AL had tried with their Luxura (RE) and Limo (FE) coaches, Tata tried their Hispano Divo (RE) - but their list prices were much higher than what an operator would spend for a chassis and bodywork from Sutlej/SMK/Veera/JCBL etc. The brand perception is different for AL/Tata/Eicher and Volvo/Scania/Merc. The latter is a player in only the luxury segment, where the numbers are far less for the volume players to try to invest in products and compete with the established names. Tata is planning to launch their Magna FBVs to compete with the AL 12M based coaches. If it succeeds, then we will have an answer to your question. Else, the market will have to wait for consolidation, pushed by regulations on body work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks