Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 23:25   #1

Details Wanted on Premier Fargo Truck

Hi Folks!

This is my first post, so please be nice to me

I've been trying to find basic details (dimensions; specifications; etc) of a truck built in Britain in the 1950s, called the Kew-Dodge 123. This has proved to be nearly impossible after such a long time out of production. However, the identical truck was built in India by Premier up till the 1980s, though badged as a Fargo. I contacted Premier to see if they had company archives for this vehicle going back that far. Well, they did - but sadly, all of their historical archives were destroyed in the Mumbai floods of 2006.

In my internet searches I came upon Team-BHP, so now I'm putting out a call for help to all you 'truckies' out there. Does anyone still have an original sales brochure for the Fargo? It's a long-shot, I know, but these brochures are known to contain all of the details I need (including illustrations of the chassis, engines and running gear). If you have one, would you be willing to share a good quality scan of it (good enough to read the fine print, I mean)?

Why am I seeking this information? Well, to begin with, I'm a film researcher and a big fan of the classic British film, 'Hell Drivers' (1957), in which a whole fleet of Dodge 123s appeared alongside a cast of soon-to-be-famous names. These included the likes of Patrick McGoohan, Stanley Baker, Sid James, Gordon Jackson, David McCallum, and some guy called Sean Connery in his third ever film appearance (wonder what became of him, eh?). I even helped provide the commentary on a special DVD release of the film.

That explains my basic interest in this truck, but more recently I've been 'suckered-in' to doing research for a possible 1/24-scale kit release of the Dodge. That's why I need all these fine details. So, can anyone help me?

I'll upload an original Premier advert to show exactly the type of Dodge/Fargo I mean, plus a still of one of the Dodge versions from the film.

Many thanks for any help/advice provided.

Biffer
Attached Thumbnails
Details Wanted on Premier Fargo Truck-toms-truck-13.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 18th March 2010, 23:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

they were even used by indian paramilitary forces like CRPF and some PWD departments.

getting the original specs is hard but you may find some still being used here in India
Old 23rd March 2010, 15:09   #3
BHPian

Fargo Trucks

I don't know much about these Fargo trucks, but there are quite a few which are still in use in rural areas and around smaller towns of India, where the RTO rules and emission regulations are not strictly enforced.

Here is a photo of a Fargo truck that seems to be in regular use. (Picture is from my Vellore trip in June 2009.)

Details Wanted on Premier Fargo Truck-40.jpg

I also remember seeing a couple of them ferrying sand in the outskirts of Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks