Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 22:46   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Volvo changed the way we look at buses and bus travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I guess its more due to the cost of replacing dead lamps. These local lamps are cheaper to get, and its easy to change bulbs as well - compared to the expensive set-up that comes OE with a Volvo. In fact, many established players have replaced the OE lamp set with conventional headlamp clusters.
I am sure its not about replacing the faulty ones, it more like following what other has done.

I mean imitating just for the sake of it.

I did Mumbai - Hyderabad at night , was seated behind driver, headlights in VOLVO are more than enough and have excellent reach and spread.

The only reason i feel is Cosmetic, beauty is in the eyes of beholder, so if its ugly for us it might be a good looking accesory for them.
Old 1st January 2012, 23:08   #122

First Volvo in India?

I read somewhere that Volvo came to India ten years ago so I'm just a bit curious to know whether the first Volvo's operated in India were the B7R's or was it some other bus ?
Old 3rd January 2012, 11:24   #123
BHPian

Re: First Volvo in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid-O View Post
I read somewhere that Volvo came to India ten years ago so I'm just a bit curious to know whether the first Volvo's operated in India were the B7R's or was it some other bus ?
Puzhekadavil's First Volvo.
KA 03 C 2001
This bus had a Konvekta AC Unit. I am not sure about the Body Builder. This bus was imported from Europe.
The bus had a Sticker VOLVO ON A TRIAL RUN
I took this pic from Ananda Travels[ Inter state bus agent] KYLM, they have a huge poster on their wall.
Attached Thumbnails
How Volvo changed the way we look at buses and bus travel-dsc06012.jpg  

ranjithrnath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:07   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure what model the trial bus was (IIRC, it was a B7R as well), the bus that was into regular sale in India was a B7R. The B7R came first in 2002 - back then it had a 260hp engine. Now the B7R comes with a 290hp CRDi Engine.
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:39   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I am not sure what model the trial bus was (IIRC, it was a B7R as well), the bus that was into regular sale in India was a B7R. The B7R came first in 2002 - back then it had a 260hp engine. Now the B7R comes with a 290hp CRDi Engine.
The Puzhekadavil Volvo bus on trial was initially with Sharma Transports doing trials in 2001. There were three imported buses on trial initially in 99-200o time frame and was given to KaSRTC for trials. Traveled on one doing Bangalore-Mysore. The one which I traveled was a Chinese built with 50 seats and a toilet. There was hardly any legroom and remember the guy from Volvo mentioning that its because made as per Chinese specification.
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:31   #126
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK,This Coach was imported from Hongkong. They were given for trials with Sharma transports for about 6 months and then to other operators like KSRTC and this mentioned Puzhekadavil. But is the Puzhekadavil still operating?

Last edited by Ashley2 : 3rd January 2012 at 18:33.
Ashley2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 18:44   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
AFAIK,This Coach was imported from Hongkong. They were given for trials with Sharma transports for about 6 months and then to other operators like KSRTC and this mentioned Puzhekadavil. But is the Puzhekadavil still operating?
No. Puzhekadavil is dead. The buses were taken over by Sona Travels. Their old office in Thrissur is now run by Padikkal. Puzhekadavil was the first operator to Kerala with a Volvo as well.
Old 4th January 2012, 00:28   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjithrnath View Post
Puzhekadavil's First Volvo.
KA 03 C 2001
This bus had a Konvekta AC Unit. I am not sure about the Body Builder. This bus was imported from Europe.
The bus had a Sticker VOLVO ON A TRIAL RUN
I took this pic from Ananda Travels[ Inter state bus agent] KYLM, they have a huge poster on their wall.
Hmm, very interesting indeed. Nice to see something other that the conventional Volvo's that I'm used to seeing on our roads. Any idea what happened to the bus or how it's performance was?
Old 4th January 2012, 09:45   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Hmm, very interesting indeed. Nice to see something other that the conventional Volvo's that I'm used to seeing on our roads. Any idea what happened to the bus or how it's performance was?
Another pic of the same bus posted here on teambhp.
Attached Thumbnails
How Volvo changed the way we look at buses and bus travel-dscn4286.23.jpg  

Old 4th January 2012, 10:41   #130
Team-BHP Support

Ever since my office has been shifted to near Brookefields, I have been using the Volvo almost daily. I love driving but finding yourself nearly stationary from HAL till office defeats the point.

Last edited by ajmat : 4th January 2012 at 10:42.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:59   #131
Team-BHP Support

Volvos (and other buses such as MB etc) have a huge glass area that spans almost the entire length of the bus. Now, given our roads where the bus is tilted in every possible direction and even the tiniest of nut is loosened, how do the manufacturers ensure the glasses remain in place or worse - not crack due to the movement?

I have often seen a few glass panes having an extra layer of adhesive on all 4 sides.
Old 31st March 2012, 12:12   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Volvos (and other buses such as MB etc) have a huge glass area that spans almost the entire length of the bus. Now, given our roads where the bus is tilted in every possible direction and even the tiniest of nut is loosened, how do the manufacturers ensure the glasses remain in place or worse - not crack due to the movement?

I have often seen a few glass panes having an extra layer of adhesive on all 4 sides.
These are not single and are made of 7 individual pieces.
They are fixed by pasting and not with any other hardware. This is flexible to an extent and so it does not crack often.
But windscreen in B9R is prone to crack in high rate earlier compared to side glasses. I think it should be corrected now.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 12:16   #133
Senior - BHPian

Re: Intercity Bus travel reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdubai View Post
VRL really seems to be stretching the limits of Indian Bus ride. There are 3 Volvo Multiaxle schedules on the Bangalore - Ahmedabad route. This may probably be the longest route done in the Intercity Bus routes. Hats off to them.
Hats off to NHAI also without them it could never happen
Old 24th April 2012, 12:24   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Hats off to NHAI also without them it could never happen
Yes i do agree. The NHAI has indeed been doing a lot of good work these days and even outsourcing the same in PPP model .Good roads are indeed a reason why the Bus Travel has regained momentum and acceptance. Add to this ,True Bus Chassis from manufacturers like Volvo have added to comfort and safety. With urban mobility catching up and with India's Urban population growing to more than 30% of the Nation's population, the Intercity bus travel is only going to grow from strength to strength.
Old 24th April 2012, 18:04   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdubai View Post
.... Add to this ,True Bus Chassis from manufacturers like Volvo have added to comfort and safety. .....
But why this terminology of "True bus chassis"?
Volvo used this term to call their buses are from true bus chassis by giving a wrong perception on other manufacturers, as if they are using truck chassis for bus application.
No idea how and from where this terminology was framed?
What ever it is even Scania and Man has front engine buses in their port folio. But globally its not termed so, when speaking about them. Its only in India to criticise AL and TM, these phrases are used I guess.

Now this makes me think, what should be used to call the LCV/ICV buses, which is predominently FE globally.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks