Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 17:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar View Post
Have you heard of economies of scale my friend, a single guy hiring a meru will be far expensive than sharing the same cab with 3 others.

In addition do you know what a hassle it is to hire a flagdown taxi/rick especially if you are getting down from a bus before 6:30am. If you dont, then the rest is lost on you.
Yes I have and its of no relevance here.

Have you heard of the term 'Logistics'? You want a 55 seater multiaxle Volvo to make 55 stops to pickup passengers one by one, while traversing narrow lanes in residential areas.

Then make another 55 stops to drop them off. I think its time you go check the definition of 'hub and spoke' before using such terminology. Hint: The bus stand is the hub and the rick is the spoke.

Last edited by Mpower : 8th June 2010 at 17:58.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:11   #17
BHPian

@ Starvagabond..

Excellent thinking, if you pass on your call/contact coordinates I would love to catch up with you. I must admit this is true entrepreneurial thinking. Just loved the practicality of few ideas. Points noted and thanks

@ Mpower
Either there is serious disconnect or Dude you are way above the rest .
If you have not understand the thoughts despite such simple explaination then I guess there is no point.Anyways thanks for your kind comments
Imagine the first passenger to board a 55 seater making 55 stops .. whoever was speaking of that.
One thing you got right is the hub and spoke model. the bus and rick.. wow genious..thats the idea .. Glad we are calibrated there.
On the economies of scale .. re-read my post please and if you still do not understand the relevance..then would be gratefull if you can stop making comments

Dear God,
Your creations do not cease to amuse me.

No offence meant buddy.....

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 10th June 2010 at 15:17.
Old 10th June 2010, 15:22   #18
BHPian

I think a lot of these ideas are already present. Most of the private operators in Bangalore have their own online booking sites in addition to sites like Redbus and Customerneedz from where you can book tickets on multiple sites.
There are some sleeper buses where the berths are divided into cabins of 4 berths each. This can be considered business class of intercity buses coz there are individual Televisions in each berth with separate ear plugs. They also have plugs for charging mobiles and laptops near each berth.
The only thing missing is the chemical toilet which is badly needed on long distance buses. When i was in Melbourne, I found that every tourist bus and every bus travelling to other cities within the same state even, had chemical toilets. But I don't think it would be implemented here as this would mean sacrificing a few seats which means lesser income from each trip.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I found that every tourist bus and every bus travelling to other cities within the same state even, had chemical toilets. But I don't think it would be implemented here as this would mean sacrificing a few seats which means lesser income from each trip.
Ya you are right, most of these ideas are already implemented, and the idea of a chemical toilet probably is oppressive to the operators due to reduced payload (read that as passengers), but think of it, the increased operational expense can be countered by increased revenue through premium pricing and better occupancy rates. I know that the premium pricing and occupancy rates dont go hand in hand, but given the convenience affluent travellers may not mind that. Not sure how many affluent travellers we will have though

Last edited by kiranpashtakar : 10th June 2010 at 17:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks